Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Vegas new owner check in

Wanted to join and say hi to all, ask a few questions and contribute some.

We just brought our used, practically new 2015 Vegas home a few days ago. Traded a 24ft. Itasca Navion diesel in on it.
Search for Axis-Vegas found this group and have been reading over the great tips and info you folks have on the coaches.

groswald, great write up on your findings. Thanks a bunch for the details. It was a huge help in getting me started on my punch list and saved me from having a melted mud flap.

On the 2015's there is a two piece anti-sail bracket attached to the body just above and forward of the exh. pipe. The brackets are thin sheet metal, one on each side of the mud flap with a hole thru each for a bolt to capture the mud flap between and keep it from sailing into the hot exh. There was no bolt installed or hole in the mud flap, so drilled thru bracket holes and mud flap and installed a bolt, nut, fw,lw. It stiffened the flap enough so that it hopefully will not contact the hot exhaust. You may want to check yours to see if it has a bolt or bolts. More than one would be better.

I have a few of questions;
1. Any plans for a spare tire? Mine did not come with one. I think I will at least carry a tire of the proper size so that road side service can change it if needed. A quick look at the rear underside shows a vacant square area that looks like a place where a spare tire could reside. Am Considering covering spare with a plastic bag and strap it in that area near future.

2. Would like to hear ideas for storing sewer hose? Most RV's I have owned had a tube underside, but don't know if there is room underside to install a tube. Will take a look at that possibility near future.

3. I noticed that my windshield washer is not working as others have mentioned. Any chance that the Thor factory will send a replacement or should I just get another one from auto parts store? I signed off on my trade "as is", so the dealer will not be helping any on this, but thought Thor may step up on it.

4. Any suggestions on insulating the eng. cover in cockpit? It gets warm, but here in FL that is not a good thing. A member suggested foam which sounds like good idea providing it is heat tolerant. I have used spray expanding insulating foam around the house, but never noticed what the temp. rating.

Also, a locking gas cap was high on my list of must haves. I found one at Advance Auto for about $20. It is a Stant #10510 and seems to work ok. No eng. light has come on so far. I will keep the stock cap for a spare. I haven't found a black rubber plug for the hole that held the stock gas cap lanyard, so a piece of black tape with have to do for now.
Thanks again for the helpful info and tips.
Marshall
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And congrats on the new-to-you Vegas. I walked around the 2015's at the Pomona RV show and was very impressed with the innovation in these RV's.

A spare is now uncommon on Class A's because of the tools required to change a tire (very high torque on the wheel studs). But if I have read correctly, the Vegas/Axis is riding on a stripped Ford Econoline chassis. So a spare tire could be easy to swap by an owner with a jack and the right tire iron(?). The only down side is the extra weight and lost storage space.

I would call TMC's Customer service about ordering parts - can't hurt - and with only 25 miles, isn't the standard warrantee still in effect?
Motorhome Owners Links | Thor Motor Coach #1 Brand of Motorhomes | Diesel Pushers,Class A,Class B,& Class C RV s
Some states have laws that require OEM warrantees to transfer if still within original warrantee period. The dealer's AS-IS thing is poor, but probably reflected in the price(?)

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. I just got email notice back from TMC that they will send another WW pump in exchange for the defective one.
Marshall
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Vegas new owner check in

Congrats on the new coach! Glad you found my posts useful. Keep us posted on how you insulate the dash. I'm still noodling on that one myself. Thinking about the sewer hose thing too.

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #6

While looking around in the eng. area for oil fill, dip sticks etc., I noticed a few loose flex conduits floating around as well as a large elec. connector. I used some cable ties to anchor them from flying around in the breeze and relieve the tension. Also, while laying on my back under the the front looking at the WW pump, I noticed quite a bit of loose flex conduit below the headlights in the fender wells. More cable ties relieved the tension from some small wires.
Marshall
Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #7

Yes, as is with any Thor they need a little bit of 'finishing'.
I found this allowed me to grow familiar with my coach and know where everything is and how it worked. My wife thought I was a bit crazy when she found me laying on a creeper under the ACE the first afternoon just checking things out.

And welcome to Thor-ownership!

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1.Spare tire- Unless you are physically able and have all the tools, and the space for a spare tire, I would not do it. If you check around, your tire size is a common size available everywhere. Look into CoachNet or Good Sams roadside service instead. I like Coachnet because the also have technical assistance.

2. Sewer hose storage- You might have buy your own tube and mount it to store your hose. I keep my Rhino hose in a small plastic tub in my utility compartment. Recommend the Rhino hose, good quality last a long time, no leaks.

3.Could be as simple as the hose not connected, or a hole in the hose and sucking air. Start by checking for power at the pump motor while activating the switch.

4.Engine cover insulation-- I installed Dynomat, actually I installed "Fatmat", it is same thing as Dynomat at half the cost. Buy the 80 mil thickness. It is thin rubber, aluminum faced sticky mat that you cut into 6 " strips and sticks to the underside of the cover. It is very sticky and once you roll it with a roller it will not come off. It is designed as a noise reduction mat used when car re-builders install it on the floor of the car before they install insulation and carpet. It is also used inside of car doors for sound proofing for better stereo sound. Works great for heat insulation too. Search Ebay for Fatmat to find it.

Gas cap-- I am 99% sure that if you were stick a hose into your tank, you can not siphon gas out of it. There is a thing that will block it at the filler neck/tank connection. If someone dishonest wants your gas, there going to get it. All they have to do punch or drill a hole in it. I read a story where over the winter, 20 some Motorhomes that were stored in a storage lot had holes drilled in there tanks and all of the gas was gone. " Locks are only designed to keep the honest people out, anyone dishonest will get in no matter what you do."
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips and info. Yes Rhino hose is the way to go. The one I have now is on the 3rd hose replacement, using the original end fittings.

On the gas cap, I'm not to concerned about someone stealing the gas, but putting something in the tank that may damage the system.

EricGT, I like "finishing". I must remember when my wife asks what I am doing, it will be a little "finishing". May save a lot of explanation.
Marshall (still working on sig)

Tags
gas