RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Very tiring trip

Hello Everyone
Hope everyone doing well. I took a 80 miles one way trip from Chicago to Sawyer MI and back. This was one of most tiring trip I had ever had. All the road that I took except little stretch in Michigan was horrible. I took 290,294 to 94 into Michigan. My shoulder had severe pain after coming back. I was exhausted. The road was horrible through out. My question is I have not done any suspension upgrades. Tires are at recommend pressure. What can be done to make ride better. I have read CHF. But I keep thinking of trading to DP. If you guys can help with some advice. I would appreciate it. I have done several 1200 miles trip from Illinois to Florida. I did get tired but last trip was something. Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 05:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakal View Post
Hello Everyone
Hope everyone doing well. I took a 80 miles one way trip from Chicago to Sawyer MI and back. This was one of most tiring trip I had ever had. All the road that I took except little stretch in Michigan was horrible. I took 290,294 to 94 into Michigan. My shoulder had severe pain after coming back. I was exhausted. The road was horrible through out. My question is I have not done any suspension upgrades. Tires are at recommend pressure. What can be done to make ride better. I have read CHF. But I keep thinking of trading to DP. If you guys can help with some advice. I would appreciate it. I have done several 1200 miles trip from Illinois to Florida. I did get tired but last trip was something. Thank You

Any idea what is making you extra tired? Like swaying from passing trucks, pot hole jarring, steering corrections to keep coach centered?

There are different modifications for different issues.

1. Rear track bar for sway control from wind and passing trucks.

2. CHF same as above and helps with leaning like when entering a driveway or making a turn on a slope.

3. Steering stabilizer reduces "sawing" motion of the steering wheel required to keep the coach centered on the road. Also claims to help stabilize steering in a blow out.

4. Shock upgrade to improve ride overall and reduce pot hole jarring.

I think your chassis is the same as my 2015 ACE 29.3. I did modifications 1,2,3 above and was happy with the results. The steering stabilizer helped me the most with driving fatigue. A relatively short chassis/wheelbase on the 18K chassis has its limitations.

My current coach is on 22K chassis at 36'. It has modifications 1,2,3,4, and drives/handles/rides much better than the 30' 29.3.

Some of the changes I have made to my driving habits over the years:

Plan my trips around 300 miles a day.

Drive only in daylight.

Arrive at destination for day by 4:00 PM

Stay on Interstates as much as possible, even if it is farther.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy a DP, then you are all set. Air suspension, 36+ length, heavy chassis.
On the other hand a 42' DP on a narrow two lane winding mountain road with low bridges/tunnels is no fun either.

The one "for sure" thing I have learned is no matter what coach you have, you can't have it all.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

Hi
Thank you for the reply. It was more of pothole or bad road that made me tired. I am debating on should I add all this CHF or just trade. Thank You
Old 09-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Just did 3000 miles with my 2015 ace29.3 this past summer in about two weeks....didnít get any real fatigue until we hit 84 between MA and PA thru New York ..I thought my teeth where going to fall out and the coach was going to fall apart.. both my wife and I drove it and itís has been the worst driving experience so far in the 35,000 miles in my coach.
I donít think any modification would have helped on that road..I now know just know to avoid it...

I have done the CHF on both the front and back, adjusted the tire pressures, and also had the coach alignment checked and tweaked.

Both of us can do about max 3 hours before we switch drivers.

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #5

What he said (Mousemate).

Potholes/patched roads are bad no matter what you drive. Interstate 80 around Ohio is the worst excuse for an interstate I have encountered, 10 through LA is a close second.

My guess, DP air ride would be best. A lot more money than what you have now. As my uncle used to say, "Money can't buy you happiness but it will let you pick the misery you live in."
Old 09-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

We just got home from a 16-day, 4000-mile trip that involved some of the roughest roads I remember ever driving on. Several traveling days were 400+ miles with a lot of mountain two-lanes with windy conditions.

There's nothing strenuous about driving the rig unless you make it that way. I've read several posts from people saying they were "white knuckled" driving on rough roads, but there's no point in gripping the wheel like it's trying to get away. I can drive ours with one hand on the crossbar, one on each side in windy conditions .

Keep your eyes up and well down the road; don't look right in front of you fighting to stay in your lane.

I've done the CHF in my yard to control the rocking, had a front end alignment done by a competent truck alignment shop, and installed a Blue Ox Tiger Trak to help with the tail wag.

I think the tail wag was my most tiring aspect of the RV when we first got it. I was constantly working the steering wheel back and forth as the tail wagged. The front end alignment helped with the wandering, and the CHF helped with the rocking. But in my case, I think the Tiger Trak was the most dramatic improvement.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Also check posture and your grip on the steering wheel. I have to force myself to relax my shoulders and grip, especially if I have not been on a trip in a while.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

Thank You great suggestions. I will try it.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Interstate 80 around Ohio is the worst excuse for an interstate I have encountered, ...

I-80 is the Ohio Turnpike and widely acknowledged as one of the best roads in Ohio and I'd agree, except for the very narrow tollbooths. Did you by chance mean I-90? That one is pretty bad in places.

Ray
Old 09-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I-80 is the Ohio Turnpike and widely acknowledged as one of the best roads in Ohio and I'd agree, except for the very narrow tollbooths. Did you by chance mean I-90? That one is pretty bad in places.

Ray

Probably was Ray, been a while. Thanks for correcting.