RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Water dripping from dash heater

When I run the dash heater on our 2008 Thor Mandalay there is water dripping from cover drain spout. I checked and it appears to be condensation and not antifreeze. The supply hose and return hose are to hot to hold. The dash heat is barely warm. Does anyone else have dripping water when they run the dash heat?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
When I run the dash heater on our 2008 Thor Mandalay there is water dripping from cover drain spout. I checked and it appears to be condensation and not antifreeze. The supply hose and return hose are to hot to hold. The dash heat is barely warm. Does anyone else have dripping water when they run the dash heat?
Most (all?), air conditioners drip water.
Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Are you sure the A/C isn't competing with the heater? Make sure A/C is off. Also check the control valve on the heater, usually in front, under windshield. It might not be opening all the way.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On many vehicles if you choose the DEFROST option even in the dead of winter you get A/C operation (THE mode is called De-humidify, first you chill it and condense out the water, then you heat it and defrost the windshields.)

As for the water, Your nose knows the difference between coolant and condensate, not even close to each other aroma wise.

Condensate normally drips OUTSIDE the ride as well, if you get dripping INSIDE, you have a problem
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Did all the troubleshooting I could find. All valves are working as they are supposed to. Removed heater control valve and it works like it should. I have water dripping from the ac condenser drain hole still when heat is selected. I now have heat coming out of the vents at 132 degrees. Will be calling Evans Tempcon tomorrow to see if I have a problem or not. Not sure what the temperature should be coming out of the vents.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Isn't the condensate drip tube connected a hose to drip on the ground? I think you should try to get an eye on the A/C compressor pulley center. If it's turning when engine is running, it's on. The center shouldn't move when it's off. You can also unplug the wire going to the A/C clutch and tell if it's on or off. Heaters don't make condensate, they leak coolant. Any sign the coolant level is going down in the overflow tank?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #7

No the coolant level is staying the same. I will try what you suggested
Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

Talked with Shelly at Evans Tempcon today. She said that the A/C will run except when in the off position or heat is directed to the floor. Also 132 degrees is within specs. At least now we have dash heat for when we head North after Thanksgiving.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #9

You may have a blockage within the condensate drain hose. They can't be completely open and thus can block up very easily. Find the end (outside the coach) and try to run an old piece of speedometer cable (or something that size and flexible) up from the end toward the heater box. If you get a gush of water that is the blockage clearing
Engineman3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
You finally got a place to start from "Engineman" in post #9. When the AC works it cools the air which reduces the humidity and results in condensation. The water is supposed to drain by gravity to the outside.

Things like mud-dobbers and spiders build nests in those 1/2" diameter rubber tubes. Find yours and clean it out.

TeJay
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
At least now we have dash heat for when we head North after Thanksgiving.
Head NORTH after Thanksgiving... I think you got it backwards,, I like to spend Thanksgiving with the rig winterized.

I winterize by the "S" method (upstate S.Carolina lowlands (Below 1,000 feet altitude)).

Tags
dash, heater, water