Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Water Leak Mystery

I have a 2017 Thor Aria 3601. When the bedroom slide is in I am getting rain water leaking in the coach.
It seems to be running down the bottom Syntech gear rack and dripping on the floor.
I have caulked around the holes in the gear rack but have not solved the issued. I have also installed new tube seals on the outside of that slide...still no luck.
Looking for ideas.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishilldav View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Aria 3601. When the bedroom slide is in I am getting rain water leaking in the coach.
It seems to be running down the bottom Syntech gear rack and dripping on the floor.
I have caulked around the holes in the gear rack but have not solved the issued. I have also installed new tube seals on the outside of that slide...still no luck.
Looking for ideas.
Does this happen after it has rained and you pull in the slide? If so, it is because water is standing on top of the slide and then drips inside once the slide is retracted. If it happens when it rains outside but the slide is in, then the seals have a breach and I would suggest the ol' garden hose test after inspecting the seals, especially where two pieces of seal come together.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the upper corners of the slide cut out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

Slide leak

I have the same year, make, and model, and had the same problem. It was driving me crazy. I caulked everything I could see, put in additional gaskets, and it still leaked. Finally, I caulked the trim on the outside of the slide and that solved it. Water was getting behind the trim and into the slide. It then would run down the tubing into the bedroom. There is supposed to be caulk inside the corner of the slide to prevent this from happening, but many times during manufacturing it gets left out. I did take mine back to Wakarusa and told them my problem, and they knew right away what was wrong. They recaulked all the slides and everything else on the sides. No water leak since then.
My coach is at the dealer waiting for a new PDM or I would have taken pictures.
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the input. I put all new seals on the outside of the slide because one was cut short and have slipped down creating a gap at the top of one side.
I did not however caulk. Have you caulked in the track that the outer blub seal slides into? If so, I caulked at the top of each side as we are due to get rain tomorrow. If this works I will do the rest of the verticals, ran out of time today.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

Yes, I did. Make sure trim on the outside is caulked also.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Well my short term fix didn't work. Rained last night and slides leaked.

So I am headed to Florida next week and when I get settles I will pull out the vertical blub seals and caulk the track and slide back in. I will also caulk around the outside trim piece.

If you have time to send some of your pics I would appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #8

My coach is still at the dealer waiting to get the PDM installed. Hopefully next week, and then I will send some pictures.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #9

I had what sounds like an identical problem on my Miramar. It happens when the slide is in and there’s a heavy enough rain. Eventually, I boiled it down to three separate problems:

1) The slide awning is too short for my sofa/dinette slide. The carefree measuring instructions clearly state how to measure, and the awning is 4” too short. This causes water running off the roof to drip onto the top bulb seal which runs down the seal and eventually finds a weak enough point it drips on top of the slide and runs to the end behind the drivers seat. This is much more pronounced if I’m parked nose down and in heavy rains. I still need to order the proper size awning to solve this one, but leveling the coach in my driveway has helped considerably.
2) A very poor sealing job on the slide windows. Both the foam seal and caulk-over sealing they apply had a gap which would allow water into the window opening, run down the wall and across the bottom of the slide to a drip point. When more nose down, this turned out to be the front and innermost corner of the slide. When more level, it would drip out of a wire hole that goes from the floor and up under my dinette seat about in the middle of the slide (and run across the floor to the same corner).
3) poorly cut (short) bulb seals left large gaps of 1” or larger at either end of the top seal.

I’ll have to check out adding some caulk (I usually use Geocel Proflex) to the top and side edges and corners of the frame area to see if that contributes at all. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Adding the larger, properly-sized awning to my bed slide (which was about 6-8” too narrow) made a huge difference on that one

I’m curious to see how this turns out for others.
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Water Leak Mystery

Well we got to Florida last week and before an all day rain I caulked the outside perimeter trim on all four slides. I did not caulk the seal track.
With all slides in the coach did not leak through some heavy windy rain. I am hoping this has solved the problem.
Thanks for all of the input.

DK
Old 11-16-2021, 02:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
I had what sounds like an identical problem on my Miramar. It happens when the slide is in and there’s a heavy enough rain. Eventually, I boiled it down to three separate problems:

1) The slide awning is too short for my sofa/dinette slide. The carefree measuring instructions clearly state how to measure, and the awning is 4” too short. This causes water running off the roof to drip onto the top bulb seal which runs down the seal and eventually finds a weak enough point it drips on top of the slide and runs to the end behind the drivers seat. This is much more pronounced if I’m parked nose down and in heavy rains. I still need to order the proper size awning to solve this one, but leveling the coach in my driveway has helped considerably.
2) A very poor sealing job on the slide windows. Both the foam seal and caulk-over sealing they apply had a gap which would allow water into the window opening, run down the wall and across the bottom of the slide to a drip point. When more nose down, this turned out to be the front and innermost corner of the slide. When more level, it would drip out of a wire hole that goes from the floor and up under my dinette seat about in the middle of the slide (and run across the floor to the same corner).
3) poorly cut (short) bulb seals left large gaps of 1” or larger at either end of the top seal.

I’ll have to check out adding some caulk (I usually use Geocel Proflex) to the top and side edges and corners of the frame area to see if that contributes at all. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Adding the larger, properly-sized awning to my bed slide (which was about 6-8” too narrow) made a huge difference on that one

I’m curious to see how this turns out for others.

What year and trim is your Mirimar?
Old 11-16-2021, 10:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
What year and trim is your Mirimar?

It’s a 2018 37.1.
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
It’s a 2018 37.1.

Thanks, have not had this problem on my 2016 34.2 ..... yet.

I need to check out the awning length on mine.

Thanks for posting

Tags
leak, water, water leak