Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Wheel hupcap won't budge

I can't remove the hubcap on one of my wheel on my Palazzo. The one that screws on will not budge. I am using the tool and have had 2 men try and the tools starts bending. The other one on that wheel I took off myself with no problem. Any Suggestions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you are talking about the chrome/aluminum decorative hub cap that is held on the wheel by two screwed on nuts??? If you are here's what I'd do. If the tool removed the first one but it's bending when trying to remove the other one switch to a 6-point socket of the same size. Using your 1/2" drive ratchet place a little more force but don't twist it off.

You can tell by the size and strength of the T-handle tool furnished to remove those nuts that one should not torque them down with to much force. I guess you already know that.

If the ratchet doesn't work using a propane torch place some heat around the base of the nut. The heat will transfer into the nut that is inside and perhaps expand it enough to loosen it. If that does not work heat it again and squirt some penetrating oil around the base of the nut. That should work.

Don't heat the nut so much that you discolor the hub cap but even some heat might do the job of expanding the nut enough to get it loose.

TeJay
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

Off to find a socket to fit!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
kokofriend,
Hey it's been 6 days. Did you find a socket and did it work??? We'd just like to know if you solved the problem??

TeJay
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #5

Hey Fenway, not yet. Looked at home depot but they stop at 1inch. I will work with it later. Just had a posterior I ejecting in Bach Friday and don't feel up to running around yet. Thanks. I will let you know!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Napa or Harbor Freight should have big sockets.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
According to what I found on the net your coach (Palazzo 33.2) has 22.5" rims. Unless your hub caps are different sizes I measured my T- handle that came with and fits our 19.5" rims is 3/4" size socket. A 3/4" socket is not really that big in the scheme of things. My guess is that your cap nuts are bigger.
My suggestion is when you are at HF get yourself a cheap $10-20 dollar digital caliper that measures inch (That will how up as thousands like .750 for 3/4") mm (which I never use) and fractions (which I use when converting from thousands to fractions. Then measure the width of that nut. By the way if you look carefully those removable cap nuts will have a line dented into the side of the nut indicating which nuts come off and there are two of them.

TeJay
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

TeJay you are a great help. I will go to HF this week and I have one that came off. I will make sure it fits. I may try Tractor Supply first and Ace hardware because they are a lot closer!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
HF is cheaper if you've got one of their 20% off coupons. They can be had just about everywhere.

TeJay