Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #1

Winterizing the genset

Has anyone put a fuel line shut off to the genset? Thinking about running the carburetor out of fuel for the winter but the electric fuel pump will be downstream from the shut off. Does the fuel pump have power full time or just when you call for power?
Mcgee43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee43 View Post
Has anyone put a fuel line shut off to the genset? Thinking about running the carburetor out of fuel for the winter but the electric fuel pump will be downstream from the shut off. Does the fuel pump have power full time or just when you call for power?
Check with the engine manufacturer first. I've recently purchased some outdoor equipment and the manufacturer recommends adding a fuel stabilizer, but leaving fuel in the carb. Something to do with not wanting the gaskets/seals drying out.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

Hi
I add Stabil and run the Gen for 10-15 mins untill the mixture reaches the carb and then turn off. Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
When we had our gas Bounder, we always did our pre-winterization, fill up at a station about 25 miles from where we store it. At that time we put in Sta-bil & then on the way to storage, run the generator under load. By the time we arrive, there's plenty of Sta-bil infused fuel in the generator.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakal View Post
Hi
I add Stabil and run the Gen for 10-15 mins untill the mixture reaches the carb and then turn off. Thanks
Of course Stabil works to prevent problems. A carb cleaner would probably work better to remove problems.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:11 PM   #6

I have always run my carbs empty on my boats, mowers and generators.

When I storred my Generac 5500, I removed the fuel line, started it up, let it run out and then reconnected the line for the next time.

The only gasket that sits close enough to gas and could dry out is the bowl gasket and it sits above the gas anyway, in storage.

Ethanol ate the gaskets in older carbs, but that problem was cured in the 70's.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter