Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Wiper Problems on Thor MHs

I have posted before about a recurring wiper problem on Thor (and possibly other) motor homes. The problem is the wipers hang up while being used, by stalling well beyond their usual travel path all the way at the driver's side post. Thor has sent out replacement wiper assemblies to some of us with the problem. I got a call from an investigator at the NHTSA who is looking into this and other wiper problems on motor homes. He has said that he would like to hear from anyone that has had this problem. His contact information is:

Larry Long
Safety Defects Investigator
Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles Division
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NEF-140, Rm W48-214
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE.
Washington DC 20590
202-366-6281
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Wipers

I did too. My RV Dealership put 20 hours of labor into fixing mine. I'm not sure what all was done except the module was replaced and the wiper blade size reduced. This was such a huge problem it was in the shop 2-3 weeks (3 times) before they finally got it. They were so stumped but kept working at it. it is my understanding the technician that fixed it actually quit the next day.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Let Larry Long know about your experience. He is easy to talk to.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Possible recall

I did a forum search here and on Thor Forums - Powered by vBulletin and found over 24 reports with identical problem description - passenger side wiper arm rotating to far and in the worst case wedging under drivers side freezing it. End result - both wipers out of commission resulting in a dangerous life safety situation. Several owners reported same failure on replacement wiper assembly and I found one owner reporting failure of original and two replacements. So it looks like Thor is continuing to use bad stock and not really fixing the problem.
So far there are several Thor products with the same problem: Challenger, Outlaw, Hurricane, Windsport and Miramar spanning product years 2013 to 2016.
Please call or write Larry Long - your life may depend on it.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, thor