Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM   #71

We purchased our first MH 2014 ACE 30.1 Great into coach, size, layout and prices. That being said...and seeing how it has aged and worn..no i would not go near another Thor product. We may have gotten a lemon but anyone with any QC experience would have found the broken drawer, major shower controls leak, kitchen sink drain leak and other stuff. It was in the shop for numerous warranty items, awning, shrinking window seals, door would not close properly, switches in dash not connected, ground wires not fully connected or attached with wire nuts (causing system not to charge). The gelcoat on the rear 'curved' end has cracked for no reason. There is a slight crack in the front gelcoat up on the upper 'nose' (that could be a rock hit)...but the rear is just a stress crack for sure. The rear cap area is wavy...where it connects to the roof. The seams are all shrinking..and the sealant used was not 'cleaned up' properly so as it ages and turns color a bit..you can see it more. You couldn't at first when it was new. The over-all build quality looks good on the surface but when you open something or get beneath...? screws all over, screws not fully seated, chips, dings and other careless quality. My marker lights on the outside of the coach, both red and orange ones are constantly cracking the lenses. I have no idea why. I replace them, they crack during driving or just regular use. Can't seem to figure out why...whether the housing is somehow too large for the lens or what. Not Thor really but frustrating as hell.

I've taken this girl apart in almost every aspect...to install, fix, customize etc...and I've seen behind the scenes...it is sketchy at best. The drive train and chassis seems solid. I do my own oil changes (both engine and gen) and have no issues there yet at all (knock on wood). The things i've uncovered and seen under the cover are just awful.

My opinion on the gas class A drivability? Anyone who says it 'drives well'...must have a better experience than me. I've driven a lot of trucks and when this 30' box hits the wind...it is a crap shoot. That is not Thor but a class A gas thing. I had to add 2000K in suspension upgrades to help with roll and stability. The driving is a constant shuffle to keep it straight and tracking. If there is even a breath of wind...you are in full white knuckle mode to keep her straight. I would NEVER buy a gas coach again unless it was for more local driving. I stress about taking this on the highway in higher winds..you really have to dial back your speed to keep sane. The cost is great..and the towing capability is great but the gas chassis is just not stable.

All that being said, we knew what we were buying An entry level gas coach that was a glorified travel trailer that drives. It has a great floor plan for us, bunk and bath...lots of storage and easy a maneuverability. I can drive this thing through the grocery store parking lot. I tow a 4 door jeep and she does great. However, the gas chassis driving and stability and the build quality would push me to a used DP or something else...it was too much for the amount of time I've spend fixing and in the shop. I hope others get more lucky than we did...

Just my opinions...of course and our experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
We purchased our first MH 2014 ACE 30.1 Great into coach, size, layout and prices. That being said...
...we knew what we were buying An entry level gas coach that was a glorified travel trailer that drives. It has a great floor plan for us, bunk and bath...lots of storage and easy a maneuverability. I can drive this thing through the grocery store parking lot. I tow a 4 door jeep and she does great. However, the gas chassis driving and stability and the build quality would push me to a used DP or something else...it was too much for the amount of time I've spend fixing and in the shop. I hope others get more lucky than we did...

Just my opinions...of course and our experience.
Ah yes, the entry level coach. Every brand's entry level will pale compared to a premium DP...like a Tuscany.

And, I would submit a similar comparison could be made to a Premium Gas Coach like Thor Motor Coach's Challenger line

This entry level build quality issue is not just TMC, but TMC currently sells 1 of every 4 motorhomes in North America - and the A.C.E. is the best selling model line for 4 years running, so it is easy to see why some lump all motorhomes from any brand into one pile

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #73

Quote:
We purchased our first MH 2014 ACE 30.1 Great into coach, size, layout and prices. That being said...and seeing how it has aged and worn..no i would not go near another Thor product.
I am sad hearing this. I remember your posts/adventures from back when I was frequenting the site. Once my ACE gets plugged in, I go on an IRV2 hiatus. Things are starting to finally get spring-like out, so I am back to see what everyone is up to.

I know my experience is different because we camp in our ACE 5-6 times annually, attend 10 tailgates per year(seats sold) and the rest of the time she is stored indoors.

I can see what you mean about quality control as I did go over and repair items that irritated me when I took possession of my new motorhome. That doesn't sound right, but it is and I knew an entry level motorhome...even at $90K.

I have actually been checking the rv trader site as I upgraded to a larger boat and will now be towing 7000# instead of 4500. I am back to where I was when I purchased the ACE. I don't want to spend more than $100K total and I am assuming trade in value of the ACE is in the low $60K range.
So what does one buy in the DP class that doesn't look outdated with brass fixtures, ugly floral patterns, or exterior weather streaking/fading.

I understand I can 'beef up' my hitch to allow me to bump my towing from 5-8000# given I keep my GVWR low. So, I guess I will go that way, should she continue to treat us pretty well.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:16 AM   #74

True and we don't 'hate' it. We love what it does. I just didn't like what I had to go through with it. We understood the cost basis and level but this was over the top. I still baby it and love taking it out but when asked if I would buy it again? I think not. Maybe I should have said 'Any entry level coach'. We've loved camping and having it. I can't imagine having this coach and not being a DIY er. I'd be screwed. Anyway. Hoping for years more advertures with it...just worried about durability. Cheers all.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #75

Quote:
True and we don't 'hate' it. We love what it does. I just didn't like what I had to go through with it. We understood the cost basis and level but this was over the top. I still baby it and love taking it out but when asked if I would buy it again? I think not. Maybe I should have said 'Any entry level coach'. We've loved camping and having it. I can't imagine having this coach and not being a DIY er. I'd be screwed. Anyway. Hoping for years more advertures with it...just worried about durability. Cheers all.
I truly wonder what the magical dollar amount is?
I know when we purchased our ACE, there was a Forest River Georgetown next to it for $130k and I wondered if perhaps we should opt for that model.

So question is, at what $ amount does one truly move from entry level to mid-tier?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #76

No such thing as entry level

We buy what suits our needs. Bragging rights? Full timer? I bought the ACE and love it. A few minor problens, but for a small class A it is hard to beat for the kind of travel I do. Millage is great, light weight, good power, well built. I wanted money left over after buying so I could have a healthy emergency fund and no financial stress affecting when and where we want to go. I've found that all motor homes are two person friendly, whether a 45 foot diesel pusher or my 31 foot gasser. It all depends on the person. "Entry level" is a silly way to consider a smaller class a. I can go as far, eat as well, shower and poop as well in my ACE as another person can in their third of a million dollar diesel pusher. Or any other brand gasser.
Hames57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 AM   #77

I agree with Hames, like my grandfather used to say, "you can only be so warm, so well fed, and so comfortable, everything else is excess"!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
I agree with Hames, like my grandfather used to say, "you can only be so warm, so well fed, and so comfortable, everything else is excess"!!!
AMEN, AMEN!

I have often said, "there is no difference in Caviar and a can of tuna, they both turn to poop after a while"
Meaning although I look and often admire the big DP's, but I am retired now, and don't plan to go back to work, in other words $150,000 to $300,000 is far too much for me to spend and keep my paid for home...My THOR Hurricane 29M is a plenty for me and my wife, handles like it should, has good mileage, burns regular gasoline. IF we purchase again I would buy THOR, all brands have their problems.....
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Outlaw's Workhorse odometer just rolled over 45,000

So, I guess we are VERY typical since RV Business reports the "average RV" is driven 4500 miles each year - and our RV is 10 years old, now.

There were little things recorded by the first owner (typical new rig things) during the warranty period and since our ownership (the great majority of these 10 years) we have upgraded all the electronics, changed bulbs, got new tires, and completed routine maintenance on the driveline and gennie. All-in-all a very typical experience.

We are very happy with our Thor motorhome and would buy another...but we don't need to
Having said that...the New Outlaw's sure are VERY pretty with full body paint and so many cool doodads...hmmmm.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #80

We purchased last September a 2014 Thor Ace 27.1 motorhome, we love the coach, the quality is on par with other brands of motorhomes. The Thor Customer Support is also very good, I have found their reps to be very willing to help out what ever the question. I would definitely purchase from them again just maybe the next larger model next time. The ONLY thing that I would do differently would NOT ever, never again purchase from La Mesa dealership in Mesa, AZ. Once the deal is done with sales department it has mostly been down hill with them. They don't return phone calls, emails. All I ever hear is we are overwhelmed. Try to contact their base manager NOT going to happen. It would be nice if La Mesa would read this post
rvsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hames57 View Post
We buy what suits our needs. Bragging rights? Full timer? I bought the ACE and love it. A few minor problens, but for a small class A it is hard to beat for the kind of travel I do. Millage is great, light weight, good power, well built. I wanted money left over after buying so I could have a healthy emergency fund and no financial stress affecting when and where we want to go. I've found that all motor homes are two person friendly, whether a 45 foot diesel pusher or my 31 foot gasser. It all depends on the person. "Entry level" is a silly way to consider a smaller class a. I can go as far, eat as well, shower and poop as well in my ACE as another person can in their third of a million dollar diesel pusher. Or any other brand gasser.
I don't think I can agree with this. Yes, I do feel a $1M motorhome is going to be a better experience.
I am quite sure if I drive 500 miles in a Prevost, it is going to be quite a different experience from a driving in the ACE. I am just wondering at what cost does one reach mid-tier quality compared to entry level. There are different levels in everything- cars, boats, motorcycles. I am thinking $200K gets you into something with next level quality. Would I spend that on a motorhome- nope. If I was a full timer...sure.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've just returned from our 2nd winter (2-3 months) of primarily dry camping in Key West. In the last 23 months we have logged 31,000 miles, while spending about 9 months a year in our Challenger 37TB. Of those 9 months per year, we've had a least 3 grandkids with us for 3 months. We've made 2 cross country and return trips. We'd like more room in the front with opposing slides BUT when we consider spending all the time in dry camp with less of capacities than we have now - we stop the thinking process. Our Challenger handles extremely well on the road, probably more effort to maintain speed but very manageable.

Our first year was a little troublesome but Thor Warranty Support was aces.

We truly enjoy the life style our coach provides for us and time with our grandkids. So, yep we'd do it again.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #83

Would have to say a resounding NO.

Way too many unnecessary QA issues in with my 2014 Ace 27.1

After 3+ years finally have most worked out - some left undone & some DIY'ed out of necessity & lack of support.

High level of initial frustration - some measure of which belongs to CW, but Thor cust. service rep. treated us like a bothersome gnat to be swatted at, and ignored. It worked & I gave up. Laughs on me there.

Was it all worth the effort & angst? Maybe, because we still use it and actually enjoy it, but I'd not volunteer to go through that again & 'never again' about sums it up.
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #84

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I love our MH, we have had many issues that needed to be resolved. So far the process to resolve them has proceeded as expected. We will continue to attempt to improve our RVing experience.

Tags
class a, thor