Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Wow, Thor is getting hammered in the Class A forum

Thor is getting hammered (again). Come on Thor, make a big splash with a 2 year warranty like your Entegra division and make this type of publicity obsolete

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/flee...or-476849.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 01:47 AM   #2

It is not just Thor, my wife and I went to a local RV show a couple of weeks ago and were appalled at the poor quality fit and finish in just about everything we saw. We looked in around 25-30 class A's, B's, and C's and nearly half of them had a bathroom door that either stuck at a corner, or in the case of 3 or 4 would not fully close. How far down on the quality control levels do you have to get for the the bathroom doors to be so far out of alignment that they will not close.

Though the Thor models appeared to be at the bottom of the barrel in interior construction, the laminate counter tops had so many chips along the edges that they looked to have been cut with a dull jigsaw, and not a proper laminate trimmer router... Though the one that worried me most was a $280,000 Tiffin Alegro Red (?) where the breakers in the electrical box appeared to all be loose and canted about 10 degrees to the side, instead of being straight in their slots, also the cover door to the breaker box was broken as it flopped open when we opened the cabinet in the bathroom where it was hidden. For bonus points the breaker box cabinet door stuck also.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

A couple of years ago, we were looking for an RV and after viewing the Thor brand, quickly decided to look somewhere else.

Just the other day, I read that Thor is planning on producing European style RV's. We'll see what happens.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #4

Thor bought and then shut down Livin Lite Camp Lite RV trailers. From all the research I have done, Livin Lite was the highest quality lightweight large construction trailer ever made. Destroying high quality to protect the crap they make is unacceptable.

Dave
Silver Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

When we were shopping for a rig some months ago, we looked at a bunch of Thors. We had a 1996 Winnebago, and though there was some wear on the upholstery and carpeting it was still in pretty good shape inside and out. The Thors were a lot newer and most of them had upholstery wear ranging from significant to bad, noticeable delamination, and so on. That made us look closer, to see what else they compromised on, and the result was that we just stopped looking at Thor.... Maybe we looked at a bunch of bad examples, but I'm glad we got a Tiffin instead.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

Interesting take on things

We looked at at least 30 different units back in 2016 before we bought the Tuscany 42GX

At that time it was as well made if not better than anything we looked at under 500K. Cabinets and interior still look like new and very upscale 5 years later so they did a decent job. Same goes for the floor, ceiling and other trim, it has held up well and luckily apparently we got the better faux leather furniture as it has held up well also.

Thor has more entry level units than any other manufacture by several times so they tend to get knocked

However is you read all the forums and factor in the number of units represented by manufactures then you will definitely see that as noted quality control is a huge problem and is the labor pool that provides the man or women power

I see the very same thing in homes and other products, luckily the auto industry doesn't have those issues to much of a degree but could that have anything to do with the workers making 3 to 6 times per hour the pay scale of the RV work force. They get more in benefits than twice the typical RV factory employee does in wages so we need to expect perhaps a bit less

What do you think a Motor Home would cost if it were put together by the auto union workers

they would be at least twice as costly which certainly would free up some space at the camp grounds
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #7

Thor ACE 30.4 2019, problems so far:
bought in Las Vegas CW, my fault went with a quick check out to get on the road, live in Carson Valley.
Got home leveling jacks would not level coach, took to excellent local repair shop (Bob's) and they found wires switched during construction. Thor paid under warranty.
AC vent broken
trim came off of dash passenger side
screws coming up through floor in 4 places, 1 has punctured the flooring
rubber seal at top of slide came off
slide quit working, local repair guy showed me how to switch the plugs to the motors on control PCB to overcome jammed slide, I left the controls by door reversed
seals on top of shower walls came loose, thanks lousy roads in AZ and NM, massive vibs
window above door makes a lot of rattle noise on rough roads, very irritating, live with it
Cummins Onan generator has failed with little or no use, took it to Cummins in Sparks and they have to replace coils, remove unit, disassemble, rebuild, all under warranty, I attribute this to the damage done by the rough ride from the Ford shocks/springs, Thor really should figure out how to soften the ride, the whole coach is getting massive vibration
several other small items resulting from poor workmanship, fix myself
I took the coach to Sierra RV in Reno to get everything fixed under warranty April 22, purchased May 2019, they warned me big delays from FEMA work and backlog, very nice place (thanks Tina) but I gave up after 2 months, warranty approvals from Thor very slow due to Wuhan flu. will take it back when warranty work approved by Thor.
good news, the Ford V10 is a solid engine, no problems, good power
bottom line, a very experienced local mobile repair guy told me there have not been any quality coaches built since 2010-2012, the consolidation in the industry (Thor) and the supporting systems suppliers (Lippert) has resulting in a big decline in overall quality. I am considering upgrading to an Aria or Palazzo but very hesitant given all the problems I have dealt with this past year. Thor customer service very nice.
Don77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, forum, thor