Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2nd Oil Filter

Just wanted to thank CTundra for giving the heads up about the 2nd Oil Filter on our coaches. Caused me to go digging through the manuals for the locations and printing it for the techs so they had no excuse for not doing it again.

Just had mine serviced properly for what is most likely the first time. I do Brattain's in Eugene never replaced the 2nd oil filter behind the coach batteries nor did the get access to the top of the engine by taking out the closet to replace the 2nd fuel filter.

Just a little frustrated in that you pay to have these serviced and they skip items.

One bonus was I had my antifreeze tested and the SCA is right in the middle so I will forget about trying to find the ELC Extender for now.

If need be I will be replacing my antifreeze in the next year.

I should also add that they finally got the ECM updated. Funny they said they had no problem but 2 other shops tried and said they did it but it was never done.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Traps90-- I assume that you are talking about the centrifugal oil filter and the secondary fuel filter. I changed my centrifugal oil filter on my first oil change. I should say that I had a friend who is older than I am but a bit more flexible than I crawl under and change the centrifugal oil filter. I must say that I am not looking forward to that activity in the fall. I just changed the secondary fuel filter in the last couple of months. I am embarrassed to say how long it took me. I also cleaned the screen filter that is part of the fuel pump. If you decide to do that PM me and I will tell you how to get the top off. Does your MH have any wires going to the primary fuel filter??
gcessac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
One bonus was I had my antifreeze tested and the SCA is right in the middle so I will forget about trying to find the ELC Extender for now.

If need be I will be replacing my antifreeze in the next year.
What coolant do you have that has SCA's and takes an ELC extender?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What coolant do you have that has SCA's and takes an ELC extender?
The coach came with the Red Shell Rotella Extended Life Coolant.
It is recommended that after 30 months to add the extender to the coolant.

Trying to find the extender has been pretty much impossible, without buying a case.

When I change it out in the next year or so I will replace it with a better coolant that doesn't require the Extender at 30 months.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Traps90, glad to hear you got the filter replaced. It's strange to me that when I had my 2013 Endeavor serviced by Brattains they had no clue about this filter and yet had the replacement filter in stock. The tech had no problems replacing it. Had to remove the canister housing from the frame to gain access. Q, were they not able to replace the engine mounted fuel filter? Q, have you noticed any improvement in performance after the ECM update? We just traveled over 800 miles in the last week and had no DPF or regen issues. Although, the DPF light and alarm did come on for a few seconds when the Moho was hit by a high gust of wind, also have seen the DPF light flicker every once in awhile but never staying on like before. Still having problems with my engine brake, it works fine when starting out but will stop working after driving about an hour. Once I shutdown and restart the EB work's fine for another hour or so.
ctundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctundra View Post
Traps90.

Q,were they not able to replace the engine mounted fuel filter?
These guys we're able to replace the filter after gaining access thru the closet, I do know Brattains never went through our closet.

Q, have you noticed any improvement in performance after the ECM update? We just traveled over 800 miles in the last week and had no DPF or regen issues. Although, the DPF light and alarm did come on for a few seconds when the Moho was hit by a high gust of wind, also have seen the DPF light flicker every once in awhile but never staying on like before. Still having problems with my engine brake, it works fine when starting out but will stop working after driving about an hour. Once I shutdown and restart the EB work's fine for another hour or so.
The engine definitely seemed to have a lot more pep especially in first and 2nd gear, (hopefully that will get rid of the huk-a-buk in te lower gears when first starting out). Have only driven it about 20 miles so won't know about the regen part until we take a trip with it next mont. Although we haven't really had any regen issues so far other than a couple of times when it has sat and idled to much and we had to do a parked regen.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have changed my centrifugal filter a few times. It's a little tight to access but easy to change.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Just wanted to thank CTundra for giving the heads up about the 2nd Oil Filter on our coaches. Caused me to go digging through the manuals for the locations and printing it for the techs so they had no excuse for not doing it again.

Just had mine serviced properly for what is most likely the first time. I do Brattain's in Eugene never replaced the 2nd oil filter behind the coach batteries nor did the get access to the top of the engine by taking out the closet to replace the 2nd fuel filter.

Just a little frustrated in that you pay to have these serviced and they skip items.
Tarps90, I didn't know of the second oil filter however when I had service done in Tucson at an International dealer the service writer told me that "..... you know you have 2 oil filters..." so that was the first thing I new.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry and Suzette View Post
Tarps90, I didn't know of the second oil filter however when I had service done in Tucson at an International dealer the service writer told me that "..... you know you have 2 oil filters..." so that was the first thing I new.
Larry glad to hear they are on the ball and know what they are doing. I was really surprised and disappointed that Brattains in Eugene didn't know this, being that they are the closest International dealer that works on the coaches to the factory.

They also never changed my 2nd fuel filter that is located on the top of the engine. Never once did they say that they couldn't or didn't do it. They did my first 2 engine service's.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The coach came with the Red Shell Rotella Extended Life Coolant.
It is recommended that after 30 months to add the extender to the coolant.

Trying to find the extender has been pretty much impossible, without buying a case.

When I change it out in the next year or so I will replace it with a better coolant that doesn't require the Extender at 30 months.
No SCA's if it's an OAT coolant, that's why I asked what it was. Here's the brochure for it: http://s07.static-shell.com/content/...s-brochure.pdf
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No SCA's if it's an OAT coolant, that's why I asked what it was. Here's the brochure for it: http://s07.static-shell.com/content/...s-brochure.pdf
Thanks MR D will have to check things out farther when I get a chance, I was just going off of what the manual was telling me to do. So now I am even more confused. Even took a copy of the manual service requirement for the cooling system to the shop.