Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #1

Max force 10 350 hp turbochargers

My brother has a 2012 Monaco Knight 36ft with a Maxforce 10 350 hp that the low pressure turbo failed on. He is the third owner and inspection of the turbos revealed that they are not the original turbochargers. They are Navistar rebuilt units. I suspect that possibly the wrong size turbo was installed. I have tried to find out the correct part# for the turbos at two different international dealers with no luck. I am told that they will call me back or email me with a quote but never do. Trying to go to turbo service shops does not help because they just want to match the ones we have.
I thought maybe someone with one in their motorhome could get the # off of their turbos. The tag is on the compressor housing. I know it is not easy may not possible to get access to them I understand. I believe the dpf is in the way, but thought I would ask as someone may have the part # already.

Current low pressure # R5010935R1
High pressure # R5010931R1
Thanks in advance.
Gary and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
So those two numbers are for NAVISTAR re-man turbos, but they are incomplete numbers. They would be part of a "kit" that would include gaskets and other small parts with a completely different part number. Also the part number could have changed several time depending on who NAVISTAR contracted to rebuild their turbochargers at the time (CAT - SRC - Borg ) and the kit could have changed numbers to. So any other MAXFORCE 10 could have identical turbos on it with a completely different number on it.

What makes you think they are the wrong turbos and what is the failure?

Post the engine serial number and I will take a look.

ThatDeadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #3

ThatDeadGuy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but work got in the way.

The reason i think that the wrong turbos may have been installed is because the low pressure turbo bearings almost seem like they are not in it. The shaft flops around in the center section. i just want to get the correct part # to verify instead of just getting two more like these. it could have failed just because of it being a bad unit or because the previous owner did not let it cool down properly. The failure looks a lot like our Bonneville Salt Flats cars failure when we ran to small of a turbo on it.

The engine s# 570MH2U3326150

Thank you

Gary
Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
5010934R91 is the kit it contains the turbo / seal kit / studs / o-ring and
the bare re-man turbo part # 5010935R1. NAVISTAR only sells it as the kit.
So you have the correct turbo, it's just worn out. Not sure what the end play on the shaft should be but it should not be flopping.
NAVISTAR shows about 100 in their PDC. Most dealers should stock it, worst case it's a day or two out.
As a cash customer with a motor home you would be paying around $3800.00 at a NAVISTAR dealer.

You could call https://www.areadieselservice.com/ and see if they have this available as an aftermarket.
ThatDeadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:13 PM   #5

Thank you for the part #s. The flopping around is in the radial direction not end to end. The motorhome only has 57,000 miles.

Again thank you for the help it makes me feell much better about ordering these turbos.

Tags
charger, turbo