Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

MaxForce 10 failure

I own a 2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that I bought used about 3 years ago. Everything was good till last November when I developed engine problems with the MaxForce 10 engine. Long story short we had to replace the engine with a rebuilt similar engine at major expense. We decided to go this route as we were told there would be a 2 year warranty on the new engine. Now after less than 1 year and 2000 miles we developed major engine problems again, with what weíre told could be another engine replacement. Unfortunately the motor home is now at a IH repair shop 1200 miles from us and our home. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this twice? Weíre at a loss for the next step, hopefully Navistar will come through with the total cost of repair.
Bussytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #2

I would really wonder what they say had failed in the first engine, and in the 2nd engine - and what they think the cause of failure was.

There are many, many things that could cause an engine to fail - but todays engines are very robust and will take a lot of abuse - unless they are over-revved or run low on oil or lost all of the coolant or run with a broken fan belt or . . . . . .
Old 10-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
I would really wonder what they say had failed in the first engine, and in the 2nd engine - and what they think the cause of failure was.

There are many, many things that could cause an engine to fail - but todays engines are very robust and will take a lot of abuse - unless they are over-revved or run low on oil or lost all of the coolant or run with a broken fan belt or . . . . . .
The Maxxforce engines are not robust, they are terrible. I donít think it would be out of reach to say that the Maxxforce line is the worst engine family in modern history. They basically bankrupted a company. Very similar to the 6.0, 6.4 powerstroke and 08-09 CAT Acert Engines. Cat pulled the plug and got out of in road as fast as they could, warranty costs, lawsuits were explosively out of control.

I work out in the oilfield trucks with a Maxxforce sell for 5-10 thousand dollars. You run it till it blows then get another truck. They are not worth fixing.
moparmaga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmaga2 View Post
The Maxxforce engines are not robust, they are terrible. I donít think it would be out of reach to say that the Maxxforce line is the worst engine family in modern history. They basically bankrupted a company. Very similar to the 6.0, 6.4 powerstroke and 08-09 CAT Acert Engines. Cat pulled the plug and got out of in road as fast as they could, warranty costs, lawsuits were explosively out of control.

I work out in the oilfield trucks with a Maxxforce sell for 5-10 thousand dollars. You run it till it blows then get another truck. They are not worth fixing.
6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes also made by Navistar who makes Maxforce and the reason Ford dropped them as a supplier. I'm sure you know, but some may not.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #5

Just curious as I have not kept up, but who is building the diesels for Ford now days.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Just curious as I have not kept up, but who is building the diesels for Ford now days.
Ford
Old 10-31-2022, 11:31 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador which we live in and love. It had an engine failure last year. Water from the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirulator) leaked on top of the engine and found its way into a cylinder and the engine became hydrolocked, bending a piston. It had to be rebuilt at no small cost. We have since read about how bad the engine is. Also found out there had been a class action suit that settled quite a bit of $ on Maxforce 10 owners...we were 6 months too late.
mamcginn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmaga2 View Post

I knew several mechanics at our local International dealer in Seattle. They called them Maxx Farce.
Job security did pay for several of their kids college tuition however.
The MaxxForce engines were cause to cancel our City of Seattle B Contract purchasing agreement with International and eventually award it to Western Peterbilt.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes also made by Navistar who makes Maxforce and the reason Ford dropped them as a supplier. I'm sure you know, but some may not.

Ford is equally at fault especially with the 6.0 Powerstroke. That engine was never designed to handle the Horsepower and Torque that Ford set it to. Ford and maybe Navistar got caught sleeping when GM brought out the Duramax engine and were scrambling to catch up to its power numbers.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maxx Force 10 Problems

I beg to differ with some of the nay-sayers about this engine. Mine has lasted for 38,000 miles over the last 9 years with only minor issues with the DPF system (easily taken care of by a knowledgeable mechanic). I had regular maintenance performed, and always made sure that fluid levels and systems were checked with each trip. I have owned and driven classic and antique vehicles and am well aware regular maintenance and care can solve a lot of problems with any type of vehicle.
Just my 2cents worth.
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We had 100,000 miles on our Holiday Rambler 2013 Ambassador when we sold it. We didnít have any problems with the engine. Emissions system had problems.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:26 AM   #12

Were there years that were better off? I ask because my in-laws just acquired a 2014/2015 Ambassador with the Maxforce.

Thanks for posting this.
Nemisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2012 Monaco Knight 36 foot that I purchased new and now have 52000 miles on it. The only engine problem has been the electric fuel pump which I changed myself.

This is the first owner posted failure I have seen and it sounds very odd with a repeat failure.

Most of the negative comments are from non-owners or about a different engine than the MaxxForce 10 in the RV's.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #14

MaxForce 10 failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
We had 100,000 miles on our Holiday Rambler 2013 Ambassador when we sold it. We didnít have any problems with the engine. Emissions system had problems.

The emission system is the whole problem, and part of the engine. The engine itself would be reliable if you could take all the emissions crap off of it. The emissions system was designed by Navistar and was a failure especially in the early versions. The engine itself is based on a caterpillar block with Navistar top end and everything else associated to pass emissions.

Caterpillar got in bed with Navistar when they quit building on road engines because of the ridiculous emissions requirements. Caterpillar was in the process of building their own on-road trucks and they used Navistar power. And they were terribly unreliable.
There is quite a bit online to read about in this respect if you just look.

Stranded is stranded and money is money to get you going down the road.

Iím not really sure where people get the idea that the emission system is separate from the engine, itís all designed by the engine manufacturer to pass emissions. DEF tank sensor problems are sometimes separate because thatís part of the chassis.
The DEF tank sensor just lets the computer know that thereís plenty of usable DEF fluid in the tank.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler