Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

MaxxForce 10 DPF

The Maxxforce 13 and 15 liter engines did not pass the latest EPA requirements and I think have to adapt the DEF system. The Maxxforce 10 passed and did not require the DEF system. I'm curious as to how this was accomplished. I've only done 1 active regen in 20k miles and that was at my request sitting at a rest area during a storm after being in heavy traffic the day before. I probably could have hit the highway and been fine with a passive regen.Glad I have the ability to do a "parked regen" when needed at my request.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had to do 2 regens when my MF 10 went into stage 2. Both regens where after more idling than I would normally do, with the last happening after visiting the factory service center.

I hadn't done a regen by request but could see that coming in handy if you ever get into backed up traffic or road construction.

I have also been surprised as to how far and long I could travel at slow speeds and not need a regen.

The good part is that we can request one if we think it's needed and we can choose the spot to d ino it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Regen request

don't think its possible to do a regen on request whenever you want. on my MF10 (405hp) engine in order to initiate a regen the DPF Lamp must be on before the ECM will allow a stationary regeneration. The DPF lamp is supposed to come on when the DPF is in a Low Soot Load, if you're driving when this happens you just keep driving until the light has cleared - this has happened to me several times now and always cleared within 15 minutes of hwy driving. it is possible the DPF lamp can come on when not driving - this has also happened to me twice, after driving short distances and parking to camp for several days. Both times after starting the engine and once engine came up to temp the DPF lamp came on, before hitting the road I simply initiated a parked regen - light cleared after twenty minutes.
ctundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We're a little over 10K miles into ownership of our 2012 Endeavor which has the MaxxForce 10 engine in it. Every now and then I'll see the DPF light come on as a "solid" light indicating it's a "Stage One: Low Soot Load" warning. In every instance (except one!) the regen mechanism has done its thing and the light has cleared on it's own within a few minutes.

Only once have we went to a "flashing" DPF light indicating a "Stage Two: Moderate Soot Load" which requires a "parked regen". The parked regen executed and behaved as was explained in the Owners Manual - however, at the end of the regen cycle - the DPF light was not cleared ... however the flashing stopped - which I assumed meant the regen cycle had addressed some but not all of the issue. Rather than trying to perform a 2nd "parked regen" immediately after the first one - we resumed driving. I was relieved to see the DPF light go out completely within 5-10 minutes of resuming our trip.

Having had zero previous experience with diesel engines and not knowing what to expect with regards to problems with the DPF and soot ... I'm happy to say that thus far, it's not been much of anything in terms of impact on our use of the coach.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Have a 2011 Knight with Maxxforce 10. 34,000 miles and have never had to do a regen.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 Knight just passed 35,000 miles and I have never done a forced regen nor have I ever had the DPF light come on. I must be doing something right
Old 08-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
My 2012 Knight just passed 35,000 miles and I have never done a forced regen nor have I ever had the DPF light come on. I must be doing something right
You most likely are, as I had mentioned both times I have had to do a parked regen, it was after what I call excessive Idling, In the first case it was my fault, in the second it happened cause I was at the factory service where it was started taken into shop and brought back at night for a few days. So Again I would say too much idling. Either way it was great to find out that everything is working as designed in the manual regen process.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
You most likely are, as I had mentioned both times I have had to do a parked regen, it was after what I call excessive Idling, In the first case it was my fault, in the second it happened cause I was at the factory service where it was started taken into shop and brought back at night for a few days. So Again I would say too much idling. Either way it was great to find out that everything is working as designed in the manual regen process.
I also meant to add that both of my forced regens we're done before the latest ecm update. Haven't got enough miles since the update to seem any real difference other than no more huck-a-buck when starting out and motor and tranny not up to temp.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

what do you consider excessive idling?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post
what do you consider excessive idling?
I think we have all asked that question as it is a relative term, it is not an exact number. With your vintage Winnebago I don't think you have to worry about it.

As an FYI...
Now that I have studied my Navistar "Health" report I see a parameter stating "Idle Shutdown Timer Time" which is set to 5 minutes. The timer is disabled but this might be a hint as to what Navistar thinks excessive is.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I think we have all asked that question as it is a relative term, it is not an exact number. With your vintage Winnebago I don't think you have to worry about it.

As an FYI...
Now that I have studied my Navistar "Health" report I see a parameter stating "Idle Shutdown Timer Time" which is set to 5 minutes. The timer is disabled but this might be a hint as to what Navistar thinks excessive is.
I agree that excessive idling is something to be avoided in these engines. I try to keep idle time down to less than 5 minutes if possible except during warm up when it is cold. Have around 23000 miles on the engine now without any parked regens. I will let it idle for a couple of minutes prior to shutting down just to cool the turbo chargers.