Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Maxxforce 10 engine

Hi all, looking at some coaches and found one that has the Maxxforce 10 engine. Any advice about this ? I never saw it before. Thanks, Ken
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No personal experience but....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_DT_engine

Hopefully you'll get some experienced people here to weigh in.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

I purchased a coach with this engine new in 2012 so can speak from experience. You are going to hear plenty of negative information. Most who comment have no personal experience. The engine that does have a "deserved" bad reputation is the Maxxforce 13 and was not used in motorhomes. Plenty of documented problems with this motor. It was a large truck engine. The Maxxforce 10 was a smaller engine and used in school busses, smaller trucks and motorhomes. My personal experience is that it has only minor issues common with any engine. This engine does not use DEF fluid like most engines of this age. It does not like to be idled for long periods. Idling for extended periods will cause problems. It also likes to be driven "hard" and does great on the interstate. I have found power/torque to be adequate and pull a jeep wrangler in the mountain areas. It also has an exhaust brake so make sure this is working properly. It is fairly easy to maintain and have been able to complete most routine jobs (oil/filter changes) myself. There are two fuel filters, one of which is located on top of the engine that need to be changed. There has been at least one computer update so make sure this has been completed when you check the maintenance records.
I suspect many negative comments will follow this post. Many will give very short responses like "run away" but provide no details or personal experience. Others will probably comment about decreased resale value etc. but if you are purchasing you may try and use this to your advantage. Personally I would not hesitate to purchase another motor home with this engine but will be surprised if the negative comments don't start showing up shortly.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
I purchased a coach with this engine new in 2012 so can speak from experience. You are going to hear plenty of negative information. Most who comment have no personal experience. The engine that does have a "deserved" bad reputation is the Maxxforce 13 and was not used in motorhomes. Plenty of documented problems with this motor. It was a large truck engine. The Maxxforce 10 was a smaller engine and used in school busses, smaller trucks and motorhomes. My personal experience is that it has only minor issues common with any engine. This engine does not use DEF fluid like most engines of this age. It does not like to be idled for long periods. Idling for extended periods will cause problems. It also likes to be driven "hard" and does great on the interstate. I have found power/torque to be adequate and pull a jeep wrangler in the mountain areas. It also has an exhaust brake so make sure this is working properly. It is fairly easy to maintain and have been able to complete most routine jobs (oil/filter changes) myself. There are two fuel filters, one of which is located on top of the engine that need to be changed. There has been at least one computer update so make sure this has been completed when you check the maintenance records.
I suspect many negative comments will follow this post. Many will give very short responses like "run away" but provide no details or personal experience. Others will probably comment about decreased resale value etc. but if you are purchasing you may try and use this to your advantage. Personally I would not hesitate to purchase another motor home with this engine but will be surprised if the negative comments don't start showing up shortly.
As another MaxxForce 10 owner since 2012 I completely concur with this statement. Well said Robert.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #5

love/hate

We have had ours for about a year now. It was great until it died on the freeway.

High pressure oil pump failed. It was replaced. Then it started blowing black smoke. DPF failed/cracked. Oil analysis indicated to failed EGR cooler too (common).

International dealer wanted 25k. So I am in the process of replacing all of it. Going with an aftermarket EGR cooler and decided to convert CCV to an open breather kit.

I humbly suggest you have it inspected by someone qualified to look at these specific areas. IMO, almost all MF10 negative experiences that I have read about revolve around either the EGR cooler or the aftertreatment (DPF) system
dlPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine