Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #1

Maxxforce 10 MIF Lamp on/power loss

I am currently traveling and this morning, after refueling, I noticed some lack of power during the acceleration to enter the freeway. The boost would not be going above 26 psi, even flooring it. A short time after, the MIF lamp came on and started blinking. The Moho is driveable on flat and slight inclines, but on hills it feels like it is missing at least 50hp, again it is maxing out on 26 psi boost, normaly I see up to 40 psi during acceleration or on steep hills. I pulled over into a gas station and changed the primary fuel filter, thinking there may be a lack of fuel. After priming, I entered the freeway again and execrated, the boost was up to 38 psi, but the MIF light was still on. Not flashing, but steady. Unfortunatly after a few miles the boost went down to 26 psi max again as before. Also, when I was at the gas station, I run the diagnostics but did not see any codes.
Could anybody give me some hints what to check for and and maybe possible fixes. I have still another 1500 miles to go before I am back home.

Thank you
Traveler007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #2

What coach are you driving and what year? I have an EPA 7 tier Maxforce in my Tiffin Breeze. I know the engine pretty well.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
What coach are you driving and what year? I have an EPA 7 tier Maxforce in my Tiffin Breeze. I know the engine pretty well.
It is a 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36 PTF. The engine is a MF 10-350 GDT EPA 10. I just read on the internet the symptoms could be a sticking turbo actuator ???
Old 08-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same coach but the Monaco version. I had the lower CAC hose come loose once and had the low boost pressure and loss of power but no warning light.
I do not have a "MIF lamp", which lamp are you referring to? The Check Engine (Warning Triangle) or the "DPF Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)" or ?
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I have the same coach but the Monaco version. I had the lower CAC hose come loose once and had the low boost pressure and loss of power but no warning light.
I do not have a "MIF lamp", which lamp are you referring to? The Check Engine (Warning Triangle) or the "DPF Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)" or ?
Sorry for the misspelling I meant to say MIL lamp, the light all the way on the left on the dash, next to the regen light. Anyway, I went to the International Dealership for a diagnostic and they discovered a "ATF Fuel Pressure 2 excessively high ( restricted injection)". I was told the injector for the regen operation is not working properly, so I had them replace it ( not cheap). The technician showed me the original one and it was totaly coated with carbon and the gasket opening was almost closed off. Anyway, after everthing was done I drove off and things were fine for about 50 miles or so. No light and lots of power, but then again some power loss, boost max 26 psi. I drove like this for a while until I hit a traffic jam where I shut off the engine while I waited. After restarting the engine the boost was back to 40+ and all is fine since. I am totally surprised and happy but just don't understand what happend an why and kind of vary.

Btw, could you explain what the" lower CAC hose coming lose " means (location). Perhaps a picture would help, so I can check. Maybe this is the issue I had concering the boost loss and it may happen again.

Thank you
Old 08-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The CAC stands for Charge Air Cooler also known as the Intercooler for the
turbo charger. There is a short 4" diameter hose just behind the muffler that connects the tube on the engine to the CAC inlet. Mine was not installed correctly from the factory.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
The CAC stands for Charge Air Cooler also known as the Intercooler for the
turbo charger. There is a short 4" diameter hose just behind the muffler that connects the tube on the engine to the CAC inlet. Mine was not installed correctly from the factory.
Thank you for the info, I will check it right away.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:33 PM   #8

Update:

I took Dennis's advise and checked the 4" hose on the inlet of the CAC. It was not disconnected, but one side showed some oily residue. I retightened the clamps. Then I got inside the MoHo and took the bedroom cabinet apart to get access to the motor covers ( very easy). Removed them and checked any clamp I could see and had access to. Most of them were fine, a couple needed some tightening, but one was very loose. It was the one connected to the EGR mixer duct and of course I retightened it. Since then we have driven more than 500 miles and had absolutely no issues with boost of 40+ on steep hills. In fact I think the moho is running better than ever. Dennis, thank you again. Well, in then next few days we will in the mountains of North Carolina, which has very steep hills, lets see what happens.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot that I posted about the lower hose

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f122/low...ff-335033.html

Tags
power, power loss