Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Maxxforce 10 Overheating

Engine Temp & Transmission Temp are starting to run above the half way mark on our Holiday Rambler Ambassador with a Maxxforce 10. Any thoughts
dmastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't state what the conditions were, mountains or flat, outside temps?
Shouldn't be a problem. I just ran through 100-121 degrees for about 300 miles today. Saw 222 degrees on the engine temp and 215 on the trans. They heat up on the grades then back to 200 +- on the flat.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

try blowing out or washing out radiator and transmission cooler.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastin View Post
Engine Temp & Transmission Temp are starting to run above the half way mark on our Holiday Rambler Ambassador with a Maxxforce 10. Any thoughts
My gage ran from just below 1/2 up to just below 3/4 and down again. Hooked up diag laptop (southwestern) and dorve it with laptop attached and it ran ok. From normal of 189 degrees. Unfortunately, couldn't get it hot enuff to kick in the 2nd stage fan. It is set to kick in at 212 degrees. Long story short, looks like the gage isn't calibrated the way I would like to see it. Drove from Tx to Mi and no problem
knight2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

I use the ScanguageD on my Maxxforce 10. Given that analog guages may be a little different on each coach, but when my temp guage is on the center mark the Scanguage shows 197, slightly below the 3/4 mark Scanguage shows 213. According to my engine manual, normal operating temp is 190 to 228. Hopes this helps.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Gauges provide a clue. My fans tell me if it is hot.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I use the ScanguageD on my Maxxforce 10. Given that analog guages may be a little different on each coach, but when my temp guage is on the center mark the Scanguage shows 197, slightly below the 3/4 mark Scanguage shows 213. According to my engine manual, normal operating temp is 190 to 228. Hopes this helps.
Thanks for the info on your engine. My fan is set to come on at 212 degrees. I've gotten used to seeing the temperature rise and fall from 189 to 212 and back again. I'm not concerned about it anymore but would prefer the guage not go up to just below 3/4.
knight2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

Totally normal and desirable to run over half way. That's not over heating this engine. In this engine heat is your friend as it keeps carbon and soot from building up in you particulate filters leading to parked regens and other problems. Keep driving. Don't worry unless you get a dash light, alarm or the needle touches the H or red part of the gauge. Relax....normal. I have much Maxxforce experience. Its my fav engine for my contracting company as well as my RV.

Modern diesels, especially this engine, run way hotter than those of the past.

Cheers, Jim
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote