Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #1

Maxxforce 10 Regen. Frequency

I had the latest update done a few of years ago and am wondering if other owners have noticed that the regen process is much less frequent than before the update. I do not let it idle long as recommended for this engine and I get the "high exhaust temperature light" on the dash fairly often but can't remember the last time I noticed the engine actually doing a regen either while moving or at idle. I have not had any problems with the engine but would have thought would notice some "regen" taking place at some point. Granted I don't put a large number of miles on it (27000 to date and is a 2012). I have never tried to do a "forced regen" because it seems to be running great and no dash lights telling me to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
I had the latest update done a few of years ago and am wondering if other owners have noticed that the regen process is much less frequent than before the update. I do not let it idle long as recommended for this engine and I get the "high exhaust temperature light" on the dash fairly often but can't remember the last time I noticed the engine actually doing a regen either while moving or at idle. I have not had any problems with the engine but would have thought would notice some "regen" taking place at some point. Granted I don't put a large number of miles on it (27000 to date and is a 2012). I have never tried to do a "forced regen" because it seems to be running great and no dash lights telling me to.

I have about 29K miles and have only done a forced regen once to see if it worked. If your at highway speed and about 1500 RPM's the engine is doing it's passive regen as it should and is very happy. I'd just enjoy the ride, limit idling and have fun.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I have about 29K miles and have only done a forced regen once to see if it worked. If your at highway speed and about 1500 RPM's the engine is doing it's passive regen as it should and is very happy. I'd just enjoy the ride, limit idling and have fun.
Thanks for reply. I was curious if I should see a dash light when it is doing a passive regen while moving? I have on occasion only noticed the hot exhaust light when I slow down but assume all is working as it should. Glad these engines are working so well for the majority of us regardless of all of the negative comments on Maxxforce! Funny how people criticizing them are normally folks driving the competition.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is the same with all of the updates. Although before the last update a few years back, I did have to do 2 parked regens. One was after too much idling and crawling around in a campground. The other time was just leaving the factory service in Oregon where it had been started to go in the shop and out a couple of times a day for a few days.

In 40k of driving other than the forced regens I never know when it is preforming a regen unless we slow down and the high exhaust temp light comes on.

I can sometimes tell by the engine temp gauge while driving. But there really is no way to know for sure, which means it's working as it should.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

Usually bad press on the Maxxforce 13. Our engines are the old DT model that's been around for 30 years. Normal to see the high temp light come on as you leave the highway after cruising at 70 MPH. Just don't idle or baby these engines, they like to work.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Mine is the same with all of the updates. Although before the last update a few years back, I did have to do 2 parked regens. One was after too much idling and crawling around in a campground. The other time was just leaving the factory service in Oregon where it had been started to go in the shop and out a couple of times a day for a few days.

In 40k of driving other than the forced regens I never know when it is preforming a regen unless we slow down and the high exhaust temp light comes on.

I can sometimes tell by the engine temp gauge while driving. But there really is no way to know for sure, which means it's working as it should.
That confirms what I thought. I was getting a little nervous about not seeing any dash light showing a regen after reading the "Larry and Suzette" previous post. We just got back from a 500 mile trip without any problems so assuming all is well. I have rarely noticed a "blip" on the dash for the regen but goes off so quickly it is barely noticeable when driving. The other issue I had about a year ago while driving was that power appeared to be somewhat reduced and noticed my "boost pressures" were lower than normal (about 20psi) but yearly service including fuel filter(s) changed seemed to solve that.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am at 49k miles and haven't seen the regen light on or have ever done a forced regen. I see the high temp light often when moving slow or when stopped. I can view my "health report" and it shows I have had 69 regens. Can't tell if that is a total sense new or what. I am sure the regen light does't light during passive regens.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi We have not had to do a parked regen in over 25,000 miles. We have also not had a high exhaust temp lamp. We do get a regen light and buzzer for a 1/2 second while at freeway speed. I believe the system is calling for a regen and immediately starts the process. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

ScangaugeD now has an X-Gauge setting fo see when an active regen is running: https://www.scangauge.com/xgauge/dpf...tatus-onoff-4/
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote