Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

MaxxForce 7-anti freeze smell on long pull

I have a 2011 Thor Serranno 33A- MaxxForce 7 with 25000 miles. On a long (3-5 mile) 5 percent uphill grade pulling my trailer I can occasionally smell what I think is anti freeze. One one occasion this spring (10 miles uphill on a 6 percent grade) the temperature rose to the red light point for a few seconds then went out and the temperature started to drop again. I was at the top of the grade. The anti freeze level doesn't appear to go down. This "smell" on a long pull has occurred since I purchased the unit new in 2011. Has any one encountered this situation - any thoughts on the source of the problem?
Thanks.
G.Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Haven't encountered it in that vehicle, but you've got good instincts. That smell is most likely a leak somewhere. I'd mark my current coolant level and after a few drives check it again. My guess is that you have a leak under pressure and it could be found by a shop that can pressurize and check the cooling system. Might be as simple as a hose clamp.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

I wonder if you are actually smelling an exhaust leak?????

Or the heated metal from the turbocharger as you're making those long pulls. Since you don't see a drop in coolant level, that would be my best guess.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have a 31X never had an anti freeze smell. I would go to an auto parts store and borrow a coolant tester. It replaces the radiator cap, has a gage and a pump.

Tags
smell