Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MaxxForce 7 engine

Lookin to buy a nexus rv with international 7 engine
How are the newer max force 7 engines doing?
Are they as good or trouble free as the cummins? THANKS FOR ANY INFO
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

No firsthand knowledge here, only what I've read online, so take it for what it's worth. The MaxxForce 7 is supposed to be a much more reliable engine than the Powerstroke 6.4 ever thought of being. The issues with the PS were allegedly caused by Ford mandated changes to the fuel system that Navistar did not blanket adopt to the MF7. However, I did see an ad for "2 trucks for the price of one" at my local International dealer. If I remember right, they were identical 2013s with <150k miles; one had a new engine.

That said, I find it interesting that I no longer see the TerraStar listed on International Trucks website, nor is the MF7 listed on their available engines list.

Can't help but wonder what Nexus is going to use as the chassis for their Phantom series, or if it will just cease to exist creating a huge gap in their line.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

Maxx Force 7

Hi All

New member here hope this posts. As owner of a 2015 ghost with maxx force 7 with 20,000 miles now and have had zero problem with the engine.
mooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

There have been some issues with the MF7 in the Tiffin Breeze. Many posts on this blog. I suspect having the engine upfront with better airflow would help. The issues I've seen are with emissions equipment and the "advanced EGR" system where large volume of exhaust is recycled through the engine. I'm interested to read of others experience.
jo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

The only engine problem we've had on our 2011 Vesta was a lose ECM connection to the turbo causing a caution light to come on. Since that repair, zero issues. The service guy at International strongly urged oil change at 5k instead of 10k. He said that if I do that the engine will last a long time. So far so good, 28k miles and no problems. A MotorHome with its weight is considered extreme use thus justifying frequent oil changes. Good luck.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
A MotorHome with its weight is considered extreme use thus justifying frequent oil changes.
Not all engines used in MH's are near their weight limits. My ISX is rated for far more weight than it'll ever see in a MH even pulling 15,000#'s.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not all engines used in MH's are near their weight limits. My ISX is rated for far more weight than it'll ever see in a MH even pulling 15,000#'s.
We had customers with ISX's, and they grossed at 160,000 pounds. Oil changes happened every 6-7,000 miles. That's 10 gallons at a time. Always had fuel, coolant filters changed at the same time. You have 15 liters, he has 6.4 liters. Oil changes are basically cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. His MH is rated at 29,000 pounds GVWR, so he is working the engine fairly hard.
Hope it is trouble free for many years, and don't beat yourself up with the extra or shorter than recommended oil changes. Should be a good rig.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
At the risk of opening a hornets nest, Navastar MaxForce engines do not have a good reputation. There were several class action lawsuits against Navastar. Navastar used to build the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 Ford pickup diesel engine, but there were so many issues Ford has taken over engineering and production. Navastar recent history is filled with failures. You may get a good one that will not have issues, but...
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

All of the lawsuit info I was able to find was for 2008-2013 MF11, 13, & 15 engines found in class 7&8 trucks. Nothing regarding MF7.
Navistar lawsuits
Old 02-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
At the risk of opening a hornets nest, Navastar MaxForce engines do not have a good reputation. There were several class action lawsuits against Navastar. Navastar used to build the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 Ford pickup diesel engine, but there were so many issues Ford has taken over engineering and production. Navastar recent history is filled with failures. You may get a good one that will not have issues, but...

The MF 7 was installed in Breeze, Nexus, Vesta, and Serrano. There may be others but the point is, all told they are in a relatively small number of Motorhomes. But remember, they were also installed in school buses and trucks. I don't know how many but my guess is that the number in service gets much bigger. Looking at this site and elsewhere there seems to be relatively few complaints about the engine. It's true, that Navistar screwed the pooch on their approach to the 2010 emissions. I believe the MF 10 and 7 were the only two motors of their line that met the standards. As a result the company is not only facing lawsuits, they lost billions in revenue!
Bottom line, the motor has performed flawlessly and no DEF needed while returning amazing Mpg ( in my opinion).
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #11

In October 2016 we traveled to Elkhart, IN after attending the Hershey, PA RV show and spending several years studying and reviewing promotional material about how Nexus will “build your dream”, and purchased a 2017 Nexus Phantom SC 34’. The trip back to Maryland was good with no negative events with a Grand Cherokee flat tow. Installed Sumo Springs front and back hoping to give passengers a better ride – jury is still out.
I have also head negative comments about the Diesel 300 International Terra Star, but also heard comments with proper maintenance the unit is durable and dependable. Coach is in storage this winter – will be traveling to Tampa, FL this month and on the road this spring, summer and fall. After we have racked up some miles and hours we will have more to share about the Nexus Phantom SC. Any and all comments are welcome.

Luthor
Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #12

2011 Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
The MF 7 was installed in Breeze, Nexus, Vesta, and Serrano. There may be others but the point is, all told they are in a relatively small number of Motorhomes. But remember, they were also installed in school buses and trucks. I don't know how many but my guess is that the number in service gets much bigger. Looking at this site and elsewhere there seems to be relatively few complaints about the engine. It's true, that Navistar screwed the pooch on their approach to the 2010 emissions. I believe the MF 10 and 7 were the only two motors of their line that met the standards. As a result the company is not only facing lawsuits, they lost billions in revenue!
Bottom line, the motor has performed flawlessly and no DEF needed while returning amazing Mpg ( in my opinion).
Hi VestaDave, I'm new here, and looking at a 2011 Monaco Vesta with 17000 Mi. I plan to tow a 7000 LB car trailer with it. What ya think?
charndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

I have a Serrano with the MF 7. Bought it used. Now has 40,000 miles. Not a real power house but pulls my little suzuki GV and gets crazy good mileage. I'm good about oil changes (5k) so far zero problems. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Good to hear, I really like the looks and size of the Monaco Vesta, was hoping to hear some good news about the powertrain.
charndog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine