Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Wondering if anybody has done any MODs to their MaxxForce 7?

Turbo?
Meth?
Flashed ECU?
Power commander?
DPF delete?
EGR delete?
Performance air filter?

Anything?

And if so what where the results?

If anybody knows of a link to a past thread please post. I've read numerous ones but have yet to see anything definitive.

I live in the mountains. Just purchased 2011 Serrano 33a. Coach gets us where we want to go but would be nice to have a little extra on hill climbs as well as when we add a toad.

Thanks
I have a Maxxforce 7 that has EGR and uses a Diesel Particulate Filter. I don't know if you are familiar with the operation but idling is the enemy of DPF. The exhaust temps are low at idle and the DPF needs higher temps to burn off the soot that builds up in there.

The EGR regen process injects extra fuel into the system and speeds up the idle to create the extra heat. If you drive the coach with a load or at highway speeds the Regen process is not done very often, ( computer decides this ). The operator can initiate the Regen process with the switch on the dash if needed. Computer will do it automatically at idle also.

If your DPF is plugging up it may be because your idling too much. You may have to do the Regen process at idle more often.

Hope this helps.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
We are scheduled for the 26 of Sept and have several planned weekends prior to that. Today being one of them.

Ill try the downshifting if my coach doesnt maintain 18-2000.

I ordered a scan Gauge D in hopes that it will relinquish some kind of worthy information prior to Sept 26.

Todays trek is close to us but does go up a fairly long hill of about 15 minutes so ill see how she does and pull over if needed. Its not to hot out at the moment and I did run water through all my radiators up front for about 10 minutes yesterday just to try and clear out anything that might be in there. DOnt know if that works but surely cant hurt.

Well be right next to Yosemite valley entrance in Groveland until tomorrow...

Ive also tried to read up on HEST light but seems like it is not much of a problem within itself. Coupled with the random service engine soon light maybe so. Not a combo I could find on the net so far.

Thanks for your assistance thus far

You’re welcome!
BTW, don’t use cruise control on climbs. You will have better control if you maintain 45-50 mph and select the gear that maintains rpm
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #17

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I took mine to the International Service Center near Phoenix.

Oil change is every 6 months or 6000 miles...
According to the NaviStar MaxxForce Manual that came with our 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC, the interval for motorhome use is one year, not six months.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #18

MaxxForce 7 MODs

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity View Post
According to the NaviStar MaxxForce Manual that came with our 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC, the interval for motorhome use is one year, not six months.

It was 6 months in my 2011 manual.
An updated motor or a new Int’l manufacturing change?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #19

RV Trip Wizard
I don't think IH has done anything with/to the MaxxForce 7 engine since they stopped producing it in 2012. Deciphering the chassis build sheet, ours was assembled in 2016 with a 2012 engine. Reading through the service sections, they have a parenthetical comment about MH use.
Of course, like the goobermint, what they said today my well be different from what they said yesterday.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you haven't had your ECM checked for an update. If not, call your local International dealer and give them your VIN and they can tell you if there is an update available.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #21

Thanks guys...

We just got back, Coach did well there. But most of it is uphill at 20-35mph. Soon as we hit some straights the power uphill just really wasnt there.

No service engine light though so that was good.

Coming home, there is still a fair amount of up and down hill. I had the dash AC off and outside temp was down about 10* from the travel up. Coach was running MUCH better. 45-50mph up hills. So that was nice to experience.

However! REGEN light came on flashing. Did not start off with a solid code, just went right to flashing.

Which I thought was odd being we are going up and down hill at about 40-60mph.

Light flashed for about 10 minutes and I was about to try a parked REGEN went it went out.

Then came back ofcourse where we had no place to pull over. And went back out. Did not come back again for the next 10 or so miles till I got home.

This brings up a question that I had been planning on asking but was trying to find out on my own research and still have not seen.

I crawled under coach a couple days ago. I see the before and after "sensors" for DPF. I assume these monitor temps.

There is also two metal tubes that come off of it or near it. I suspected these must add fuel for burnoffs/regens. But following them they just go to a plug and probably some kind of sensor.

After more research I seen it also mentioned as DEF (fuel?)

But I dont have a clue how whatever does this regen is piped to it? Or is it just engine heat? I know I have read many times regens use a lot of fuel and i thought it was a burn off not a engine heat.

So before i go try to do this parked regen here at my house can someone elaborate?...

Thank you
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks guys...

We just got back, Coach did well there. But most of it is uphill at 20-35mph. Soon as we hit some straights the power uphill just really wasnt there.

No service engine light though so that was good.

Coming home, there is still a fair amount of up and down hill. I had the dash AC off and outside temp was down about 10* from the travel up. Coach was running MUCH better. 45-50mph up hills. So that was nice to experience.

However! REGEN light came on flashing. Did not start off with a solid code, just went right to flashing.

Which I thought was odd being we are going up and down hill at about 40-60mph.

Light flashed for about 10 minutes and I was about to try a parked REGEN went it went out.

Then came back ofcourse where we had no place to pull over. And went back out. Did not come back again for the next 10 or so miles till I got home.

This brings up a question that I had been planning on asking but was trying to find out on my own research and still have not seen.

I crawled under coach a couple days ago. I see the before and after "sensors" for DPF. I assume these monitor temps.

There is also two metal tubes that come off of it or near it. I suspected these must add fuel for burnoffs/regens. But following them they just go to a plug and probably some kind of sensor.

After more research I seen it also mentioned as DEF (fuel?)

But I dont have a clue how whatever does this regen is piped to it? Or is it just engine heat? I know I have read many times regens use a lot of fuel and i thought it was a burn off not a engine heat.

So before i go try to do this parked regen here at my house can someone elaborate?...

Thank you

Thanks for the good news!
The DPF regen can be done parked, but it’s best when on a long flat road. You get to drive it about! Highway speed seemed to clean mine better; longer time between regens.
My bet is it had a lot of motor idling time. This fills the DPF up pretty tight.
I was in the same situation when I bought mine. After a couple of regens at speed, mine ran better.
I think you’re getting a good handle on this fine machine!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #23

Camp daven do you know what your boost pressure runs?

I installed scan gauge and highest I'm reading is 16psi....
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:

Don’t know. Had no gauge.
Maybe online pdf of the specs
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

My 2011 Maxxforce 7 in my Holiday Rambler Trip: At 60 MPH boost is at 10 psi average. Full throttle at 2400 rpm boost peaks at about 38 psi.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg495 View Post
My 2011 Maxxforce 7 in my Holiday Rambler Trip: At 60 MPH boost is at 10 psi average. Full throttle at 2400 rpm boost peaks at about 38 psi.

Is that number from scan gauge? I dont think I had to do any inputs for boost that would change readings. pretty sure I installed it and input some fuel numbers and thats it.

Beings I have another diesel pick up im used to hearing a turbo. cant say my MH sounds anything like it. no whine to it at all.

Thank you A LOT for responding to thread.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Those figures are from my dash board computer readout.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #28

My Maxxforce 7 in a Serrano using a Scangauge shows 28 psi of boost under moderate load. At 65 mph on the flat it runs 11 psi. Those are with it flat towing a Ford C-Max
g111857 is offline   Reply With Quote