Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by g111857 View Post
My Maxxforce 7 in a Serrano using a Scangauge shows 28 psi of boost under moderate load. At 65 mph on the flat it runs 11 psi. Those are with it flat towing a Ford C-Max
Excellent, thank you so much for the info.

we took a trip again last weekend and regen kept coming up. finally flashing engine light I had to do a parked regen. 10 minutes later regen came back on. I clearly have an issue with DPF.

I picked up an emulator. heading to exhaust shop tomorrow morning to see if it works and will be removing DPF until I resell coach.

well see what boost looks like after that.
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #30

The one thing I've learned about these motors is they don't like to be left at idle. I wonder if a lot of that went on before you got the coach? Mine also does not like truck stop diesel.
g111857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jacob,
I read somewhere that the DPF can be cleaned at a reasonable cost. It is taken off the coach and the shop runs some cleaning fluid thru it and other stuff. I think it was $ 400 or so. I agree that your coach probably lived thru a lot of slow traffic or at idle. Even if you do the DPF delete route, have that thing cleaned. You may need it.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #32

Well I was hoping to report good news on emulator and DPF removal. However it's currently not looking good.

We have two codes coming up. Coach appears to be in some kind of limp mode.

Anybody know where to find engine code information? I have a 3242 and a 1528. Need to find out what these are for....

Good news is I can hear the turbo spool up when not in gear. Sounds like it is breather A LOT better.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #33

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Well I was hoping to report good news on emulator and DPF removal. However it's currently not looking good.

We have two codes coming up. Coach appears to be in some kind of limp mode.

Anybody know where to find engine code information? I have a 3242 and a 1528. Need to find out what these are for....

Good news is I can hear the turbo spool up when not in gear. Sounds like it is breather A LOT better.
See if this helps:
HNC Medium And Heavy Duty Truck Parts Online | Navistar Diagnostic Trouble Code Index
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity View Post
Appreciate the info. doesnt appear that the codes go high enough to match with what i have showing. Tried to maybe remove first or last number but they dont seem to match up to my situation so i suspect this list wont be of any help.

Contacted the place we are scheduled to go to later this month and they said only way they can tell what codes are is by attaching OB2 type tool.

SO im off to go help put this thing back together as we are scheduled to leave at noon....

Sometimes you win big sometimes you lick your wounds.....
Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #35

Try using: https://www.empiretruck.com/content/upload/files/DDC-SVC-BRO-0115%20fault%20codes.pdf

It is generic but complies to the EPA standard they were suppose to be using.

Also look at

http://navistar.kmsihosting.com/ihtm...load/12423.pdf

That is a good overview on how that whole Navistar EGR/DPF system works.

As for that 1528 code I've yet to find anything that explains it.
g111857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #36

When I got to the shop I found they gave me the wrong codes. It was 88 and I think 117. Not sure on second number.

We put it all back and cleared codes. Coach is back up and running. We are actually 3 hours away from home now.

So some interesting things transpired from this mess.

First I found the air filter horribly plugged. Banging it on a table looked like it had been driven through dust storms. So got that replaced.

With cat and DPF out I hit it with compressed air. After probably 5 minutes of continuous black soot I flipped it and tapped it with hole to ground. Literally had like an inch of soot on the ground.

Put it all back together and drove here. Last time on hills we where doing 30-35mph. This time we where doing 45-50.....HUGE difference. I can live with that.

So when I take it in to shop on 26th I'll be seeing if they can just pull and clean DPF and cat with solutions or try to figure out how to do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g111857 View Post
Try using: https://www.empiretruck.com/content/upload/files/DDC-SVC-BRO-0115%20fault%20codes.pdf

It is generic but complies to the EPA standard they were suppose to be using.

Also look at

http://navistar.kmsihosting.com/ihtm...load/12423.pdf

That is a good overview on how that whole Navistar EGR/DPF system works.

As for that 1528 code I've yet to find anything that explains it.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #37

This was just what stayed on the ground. There was tons more that blew awayClick image for larger version

Name:	20180914_092516.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	219074
Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting !! Let us know if you can get DIY instructions on how to clean that yourself. I think that DPF has ceramic inside so banging it on the ground might not be a good idea. Hopefully there is a solution ( chemical ) that can be run thru it and 'washed' out. I wouldn't do it until I found out the process for sure. Could save us a lot of $$.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg495 View Post
Interesting !! Let us know if you can get DIY instructions on how to clean that yourself. I think that DPF has ceramic inside so banging it on the ground might not be a good idea. Hopefully there is a solution ( chemical ) that can be run thru it and 'washed' out. I wouldn't do it until I found out the process for sure. Could save us a lot of $$.
Well I have to say this video is interesting. many people in the responses saying they do the same thing for years. there is other stuff on net saying same thing. then there is a few that say not to, but not like that is backed up with actual EXPERIENCE. Sounds more like it is parroted from the manufacturer and classes for products used to clean them via bake and solution or compressed air.

Honestly, water is in the exhaust all the time.

I am leaning toward this with a pressure washer on the lowest setting, then compressed air, then let sit in the sun for a couple days. reinstall.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #40

So if you removed the dpf and pounded the crap out of it so it was an open piece of pipe and put it back on would the engine fault or limp? Guys are wanting $3300 to do a bench burn. Pressure sensors wouldn't see any back pressure so shouldn't call for regen. Looks stock...
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
So if you removed the dpf and pounded the crap out of it so it was an open piece of pipe and put it back on would the engine fault or limp? Guys are wanting $3300 to do a bench burn. Pressure sensors wouldn't see any back pressure so shouldn't call for regen. Looks stock...
Not quite that simple. I've seen some video on the process. I think there are temp. sensors there too. I'd try the pressure washer method first, nothing to lose except some time.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
You will have multiple issues. Pressure and temperature issues.

I pulled out the DPF yesterday. Washed it out with hose. Then blew it out with compressed air. It is currently sitting in the hot sun. Tomorrow I will reinstall and start engine for about one minute and shut down for a couple. I'll do that over and over again in hopes of evaporating any additional water still inside....