Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleeman View Post
Are you looking at the Serrano or Avanti? Ether one you might see 13 mpg under ideal conditions but you can figure closer to 11-12 depending on driving habits. I rarely use the cruse to optimize mpg and keep it around 60. My toad is a crv so I can't go over 65 anyway. When towing the crv I average 10.5-11. As far as the maxxforce, I like it a lot. It is a heavier version of what NAVSTAR builds for ford as the power stroke. Hope this helps.
I was specifically looking at this:

what are your thoughts on this?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #16

Looks like a cool unit. I really like the way the hood gives access to the engine. Does the unit offer air suspension?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Looks like a cool unit. I really like the way the hood gives access to the engine. Does the unit offer air suspension?
I'm not sure that it does. I am thinking that it doesn't but I could be wrong.
Yes, I like the engine access also.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Just info for you, I'm not sure the difference in the vt365 and the maxforce both are rated at 300 hp. My 08 'Super Nova with the vt365 get's 8.2mpg driving at 58-62mph. this is pulling a tow dolly with an Chev HHR behind. I also pull a 28ft car trailer and by keeping the mph at the 58-62mpg it will still get 8.2mpg. Just the motorhome by itself has occasionally seen 10mpg. but not real consistent.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maxxfore 10 MPG

We now have a 2011 Monaco Knight 40PBQ. From Florida to western NY we got 8.5 miles a gallon at 60-65 miles per hour. Towing a Chevy Traverse. Cannot say enough about this performance and power.
rocny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
I have a Maxxforce 10 and weigh in at about 42,000 lbs. Last trip to Atlanta from Ky West I got 10.4 MPG.

Dawgs how fast were you traveling and were you towing a toad? I haven't had the reflash on the ECM yet but the best I can get is 8.4 @ 63 mph towing my 1500 Ram pickup. Hope my mileage will increase once this ECM update is done.
Harry
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Harry not sure how Dawgs is managing to do it, but mine's like yours I have averaged 8.3 since the start just like you, and that hasn't changed with the latest update.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Dawgs how fast were you traveling and were you towing a toad? I haven't had the reflash on the ECM yet but the best I can get is 8.4 @ 63 mph towing my 1500 Ram pickup. Hope my mileage will increase once this ECM update is done.
Harry
On that trip I was averaging 65 MPH and yes I was pulling a tow dolly with a Honda Accord. My guess is the topography, Key West is at sea level and Atlanta is about 750 in elevation so it's pretty flat. We recently went to Asheville, NC with a elevation change of 2-3000 feet. Mileage dropped to about 8.5-9 MPG.

Also, I calculated the mileage the old fashion way, miles at fill-up minus mileage at previous fill-up divided by gallons required to fill the tank. I did not rely on the dash computer.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #23

I guess I am jealous as only time I get 10 MPG is when going down hill and looking at computer screen on dash. I always get my mileage from fill up to fill up with actual gallons and miles driven. I hope your good luck continues Dawgs.
Harry
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I guess I am jealous as only time I get 10 MPG is when going down hill and looking at computer screen on dash. I always get my mileage from fill up to fill up with actual gallons and miles driven. I hope your good luck continues Dawgs.
Harry
It will be interesting to see what effect the ECM calibration will have on the MPG. Having Navistar update Monday and leaving for Denver Thursday. I'll calculate the mileage along the trip and post what I get.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 32 Tiffin Breeze. going from Louisiana to Washington DC and back via the Carolina and Georgia, running the generator during the hotter afternoons, we averaged 9 to 10 MPG. On trips without the generator running, I get 12 to 13. On a trip from Tampa Florida to New Orleans without the generator the computer said 13.8 but putting a pencil to it I got 11.5 to 12. Filling the fuel tank is never consistent due to the filler neck angle and tank position. Over all I'm pretty happy with milage and power. Wish the coach was a litter bigger though
ttregre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
It will be interesting to see what effect the ECM calibration will have on the MPG. Having Navistar update Monday and leaving for Denver Thursday. I'll calculate the mileage along the trip and post what I get.
Just returned from the Denver trip back to Atlanta. About 3k miles total. Mileage after the calibration running 65-70 MPH, pulling a Honda Accord for entire trip came to 9 MPG hand calculated. Noticed better engine response, better trans. shift points resulting in better 0 to 60 performance.