Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Resetting Change Oil Reminder

Now that we have 10,000 miles on Max Force 7 engine , I would like to turn off reminder. However the given sequence as described in manual doesn't work. Sequence is turn on cruise control, press resume 4 times in rapid succession then press again for 5 seconds. Has anyone found a procedure that works?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
Now that we have 10,000 miles on Max Force 7 engine , I would like to turn off reminder. However the given sequence as described in manual doesn't work. Sequence is turn on cruise control, press resume 4 times in rapid succession then press again for 5 seconds. Has anyone found a procedure that works?
Timing is everything but allow me to ask someone about this.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The MaxxForce 7 the procedure is found on page 74 of the operators manual. Timing on this is not very forgiving so it sometimes takes a few tries before you get it. Not bad once you are used to it.
Thank you

SECTION 5 – MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE AND SERVICE PROCEDURES
RESETTING CHANGE ENGINE OIL SERVICE INTERVAL
Reset the Service Interval Message (change engine oil) per the
following procedure:
1. If not already done, set the parking brake.
2. Turn ignition switch to ON.
3. Turn cruise ON.
4. Turn cruise OFF.
5. Turn cruise ON.
6. Very rapidly push the resume switch four times and then hold
down on the fifth time for four seconds.
7. The Change Oil message should clear.
8. The operation from the time the cruise is turned On for
the second time to the fifth activation of the resume switch
must take place within six seconds. If you fail to reset the
message, repeat the process.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I have tried the correct procedure many times to no avail. Called Monaco tech support and they were aware of the problem. Said it was a software problem and that Monaco was working on a solution. Only current remedy was to go to an International dealer and have them reset the computer. This would have to be done each time the engine accumulated 10,000 miles. International minimum charge is $105, but they would also check all other computer "faults" for approx $165. Guess the answer is to have them do all the engine/chassis work rather than an RV dealer.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We're still working this case. I'm waiting to hear back from RGN if he has met with any kind of success.

It's all in the timing of the reset sequence and it "must" me performed w/i 20 seconds from the start of the sequence or it will not reset the OLM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a job for one of the teenage grandkids.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
We're still working this case. I'm waiting to hear back from RGN if he has met with any kind of success.

It's all in the timing of the reset sequence and it "must" me performed w/i 20 seconds from the start of the sequence or it will not reset the OLM.
Driver: Is this oil change warning specific to the Maxxforce engine regardless to what chassis/MH it is used in?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Driver: Is this oil change warning specific to the Maxxforce engine regardless to what chassis/MH it is used in?
(I'm going with) It`s specific to the MaxxForce 7 engine and not specific as regards the chassis in which it is installed.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I have tried the correct procedure many times to no avail. Called Monaco tech support and they were aware of the problem. Said it was a software problem and that Monaco was working on a solution. Only current remedy was to go to an International dealer and have them reset the computer. This would have to be done each time the engine accumulated 10,000 miles. International minimum charge is $105, but they would also check all other computer "faults" for approx $165. Guess the answer is to have them do all the engine/chassis work rather than an RV dealer.
How much more is the service at the International dealer than at the RV dealer? I would think the RV dealer would have the interface to check for faults and do updates on your coach if they do the service. 1) it helps warn you of potential unknown issues & 2) it would have them provide 'customer' service instead of just 'service' imho.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
How much more is the service at the International dealer than at the RV dealer?
cnkinthebus, Early on as far back as year 2000 it was expected by Workhorse that many RV dealerships would be able to service both the chassis and the coach body but that did not turn out as planned. 1 stop shopping.

Not very many dealerships want to get into chassis repairs and now with diesels becoming more prevalent you are going to see more dealerships distance themselves from the automotive side.

Even on the "Chassis Builder's" website it is recommended that you pursue repairs to the diesel engine directly from the engine manufacturer.

Now that said, both Workhorse and MaxxForce are Navistar companies so getting an owner to the best resource the 1st time is better in my opinion rather than going to a center that would have to refer a customer to a 2nd resource.

Similarly, if you have a Ford powered motorhome, that will have to go to Ford for service. It's been that way for as long as I remember.

In the case of RG, he is not going to have to pay to have his OLM reset at a Navistar dealer but he may be bringing it in just to rule out the procedure or if perhaps there's some type of timing issue with the switches. The reset has to be all input w/i 20 seconds.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #11

Driver: You may recall when I was having trouble with my Maxxforce 7 engine shutting down for no know reason and was looking for a shop to help figure it out. I soon learned that the dealership and the Workhorse shops I contacted did not work on diesels and the reason they gave was the lack of dialogistic software, cost prohibitive for the number of engines they worked on. The service shops listed on the Maxxforce site is not all inclusive and may be far from your current location. In fact, I think they are aware because Navistar sent me some replacement parts and sent me to a shop to have them installed and the shop was not listed on their WEB site (5 miles from my home). The nearest shop to me on their WEB site was over 50 miles away. Bottom line, I would contact a local Navistar/International shop in your area to see if they work on this engine unless you are looking for warranty work then you take it to an approved shop.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Bottom line, I would contact a local Navistar/International shop in your area to see if they work on this engine unless you are looking for warranty work then you take it to an approved shop.
TheArnolds, That is very good advice. In your case, calling the WCC Customer Care Center can place you in touch with an approved alternate facility not in the listings. They have a list of service capable shops in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and in some cases, I was able to get them to approve a repair from a service center that they did not have listed.

Working with you in getting you the service parts you needed and then authorizing a local shop to do the repair was a excellent solution.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Well, I have tried the correct procedure many times to no avail..
rg neumann, How did you make out with getting your OLM Reset situation resolved?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I brought it back to the International dealer for correction of the reset problem, but due to time constraints (had only 1/2 day) the repair couldn't be done. They had to download new software which would have taken a few more hours. Never the less they changed the oil and lubed the chassis. They actually did a better job in lubing than the Monaco dealer. The latter missed a few steering column lube points. Will go back to the International dealer when we return from vacation.