Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #15

Just so you can make a little more informed decision, if you purchased the coach and took it straight to a Cummins dealer, it would cost approximately $12,000 for a complete piston/rod/sleeve rebuild to end any further worry about the wristpin issue. That would come with a Cummins warranty as well. This from Cummins Rocky Mountain near Phoenix. I checked when I was looking at a similar coach a couple months back.

If the price was right and you could rationalize the engine investment, you'd have a whole lot of peace of mind.
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Excellent point!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There were two recalls for the engines in question.

The first was for engines used in the fire service. Those engines were replaced for obvious reasons.

The second recall was for all others and that recall only added a crankcase high pressure sensor and a warning light on the dash to warn that engine failure may be imminent. This is the recall for RVs.

As the wrist pin overheated, overheating the piston, it caused the piston compression rings to lose their sealing ability and blow by would increase crankcase pressure. If the warning light came on in time and/or the driver could stop the engine in time, catastrophic engine failure could be avoided.....................well, that was the theory.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The ISL engine serial #s in the effected recall are 46543077 thru 46603939. I should have put this in my first post but I couldn't find my engine research that day. So that's a total of 60,862 engines, note world wide, in the recall. Now, how many were put in RV chassis? That's a good question. I would think there would be very few. If you are looking at a questionable rig just look at the engine dataplate and cross reference the number. If you want a quick print out go to and put in the ESN.

www.quickserve.cummins.com

My ESN is 46457330 and the build date was 07 Jan 2005.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
My engine number is 46696258 with a build date of 12/04/07.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=Happycarz;2421595]My engine number is 46696258 with a build date of 12/04/07.[/QUO

Just above the recall.

Here's the recall:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/06-c...ml#post2420576
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Thanks for all of the input. The coach has 29k miles on it which some say would indicate that it shouldn't have a problem. That said, I'm not sure I could live with the uncertainty of it. There are plenty of things to go wrong with a MH without adding something that for the most part can be avoided by changing model years.

My thought is that even if it was something that would be fixed free of charge, if it happened you would still have to deal with an interrupted trip and the subsequent shop time.

Looks like I'll have to pass. My make up wouldn't let me relax and just enjoy it.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and advice, Terry
We are buying a '09 CC Magna with the ISX 650 in it. I've read a few stories here about cams going flat and other problems. But there are so many ISX's out there in the class 8 trucks that if it were real problem it'd be all over the internet, and it isn't.
Yes the ISL can have problems, but then so can any other engine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #22

That's over 60 thousand engines, I am the type that talks to most people in parks, have been on the road since 2006 with the effective engs were talking about, Have not heard of anybody with this problem, toomuch hype about nothing.
ronsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmith View Post
That's over 60 thousand engines, I am the type that talks to most people in parks, have been on the road since 2006 with the effective engs were talking about, Have not heard of anybody with this problem, toomuch hype about nothing.

Can’t agree Ron. I have read a number of posts on various forums about engines having this issue. I personally have a neighbor who lost his engine in an ‘06 Allegro Bus at about 38k miles.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And if you read my earlier post #21) I guess I was overly optomistic as the engine dropped a valve in #6 about 2100 miles after we bought it. Cost was $33,000. Since then I've found at least a dozen others in CC's, Foretravel's and HR's as well as OTR trucks. Cummins knows of the problem and has a new head, valves, turbo and ECM programming that cures the problem BUT WILL NOT COVER IT if out of warranty like they will with the ISL wrist pin failures.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Today we looked at and drove the '06 Camelot PAQ floor plan. We have pretty well decided this is the floor plan we want, it's suits us perfectly. That's the good news!

Now for the bad(?), the engine number falls right dead center of the engine numbers with the wrist pin issues. Also, the Norcold refer hasn't been changed out and I don't know if the update, fwiw, has been done.

I have the engine number and I will call Cummins to see what I can find out.

I guess my question is, would this be a deal breaker???

The refer is an issue but not something that can't be taken care of.

My concern is the engine. The MH has 29k miles on it. Is there a magic mileage cut off point that the engine either fails or doesn't? Should I walk away or run?

The coach is on a dealers lot and they will replace all 6 tires, all fluids and belts and detail everything and address a couple of little issues we found.

Price is $134K. I'm not sure, but it seems a little high!?!?!?

The PAQ floor plan is relatively scarce, we had never seen one except in pictures. I believe HR and Beaver also had this floor plan.

Thoughts???
Terry I see lots of other Camelot’s up to a 2009 for close to the same pricing! We haven’t had any big issues with our 2009. Demartini in Grass Valley Calif, has several nice ones, I would look at a newer unit and not sweat the wrist pin issue. Regards

Tags
cummins