Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 05:25 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
‘08 ISL intermittent power loss

I just returned from a 600 mile trip with no issues (our first trip in the , new to us, RV). 2 days later I filled the tank and hopped on the highway to get the ac checked and the coach seems to go into limp mode. If I restart all is normal until I give a bunch of throttle.

Fuel filters changed before the trip, fuel purchased at the same station. Low fuel light did come on before refill. Any ideas?
MDM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM2 View Post
I just returned from a 600 mile trip with no issues (our first trip in the , new to us, RV). 2 days later I filled the tank and hopped on the highway to get the ac checked and the coach seems to go into limp mode. If I restart all is normal until I give a bunch of throttle.

Fuel filters changed before the trip, fuel purchased at the same station. Low fuel light did come on before refill. Any ideas?
You didn't mention the age, make or model of your coach. Soooo I'm assuming, there's that word again, that it has been sitting for a while and alge has built up in your tank. Get some fuel treatment, change filters and take it for a 50 mile run. You may need to change filters several times. Or you could just drain the tank, fresh fuel, filters and fuel treatment. Neither opinion is ideal I know. Just don't ask me how I know. good luck.

I just reread your post and with the low fuel light coming on, you would be sucking debris from the bottom of the tank, clogging filters. Change filters, fuel treatment and keep the fuel level up.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Updated details

It is a 2008 Damon Essence. It has been sitting for a couple of years and started monthly.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
It has been sitting for a couple of years and started monthly.

Thank you for the reply.

As has been posted here many times before, it is NOT good to start a diesel engine unless you can drive 25+ highway miles.

It is not possible to get the oil up to operating temperature without a load. And running it without getting the oil up to operating temperature just adds moisture to the engine.

Assuming the diesel fuel is a "couple of years old", first thing to do is change the fuel filter(s) and check the old ones carefully for the presence of algae. If present, you need to add a BIOCIDE such as Biobar JF and plan on multiple filter changes as the dead biomass is filtered out.

Algae can be reduced or eliminated when storing by filling the diesel tank to reduce condensation and adding a biocide. I suggest adding a biocide if diesel is not going to be consumed within 2 months in the summer, 3 months in winter.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Unfortunately I had no control of what the dealer did before I purchased it. It has gone through all of the old fuel using new filters. I’ll change the filters today an see what happens.

Are there any places to check upstream of the filters? Is there a fuel pickup screen that may get clogged?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Please let us know what you find in the old filters when you change them today.

If no algae or other contaminants there, no point in speculating on further action concerning fuel quality.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Wasn’t able to get new filters but drained a cupful of fuel. Dark specks are in it. I suspect that is algae. Any idea how many fuel filters I will need? Should I change both or only the 2nd until clear?
Old 07-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Wasn’t able to get new filters but drained a cupful of fuel. Dark specks are in it. I suspect that is algae. Any idea how many fuel filters I will need? Should I change both or only the 2nd until clear?
Change them both, and have 2 sets of spares.

Use diesel Kleen in your tank
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Your primary filter (first) is going to collect the majority of the algae, so you may as well buy a few of them, then just change both primary & secondary when it gets cleared up.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:18 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Update

I changed the filters and cut the old open. They don’t look bad at all. Still getting check engine light. Code for fuel rail pressure. Fingers crossed I won’t need a new pump.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #11

One of your fuel filters has an oring that is installed over the mounting stem. Did you forget that seal? What brand of filters are you using?^
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #12

Are you getting a 559 fault code?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #13

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/559...de-242688.html

Read this thread
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
I changed the filters and cut the old open. They don’t look bad at all. Still getting check engine light. Code for fuel rail pressure. Fingers crossed I won’t need a new pump.

Could be fuel rail pressure sensor.

Time to have it hooked up to a laptop.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power