Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #1

1995 Cummins 8.3 won't start (no fuel) after new filters

I took my Fleetwood coach in for service. One of the things they did was change two fuel filters to engine. (they also replaced chassis batteries and rebuilt rear brakes).

I visited the shop on saw that they were having problems starting it but figured lines needed to bleed through.

When it was all done, I went to pick it up and they had it running in the lot for me. It was cold out so I just assumed this was a nice courtesy.

This coach has always started on no more than third crank, except when super cold. Now it just cranks, no start. Solenoid is operating just fine. I called the shop and the tech said he had to hand move the throttle linkage to get it started... It has air throttle. So, no air pressure, no throttle. IDK why they would let it leave if they knew it wasn't starting right.

Anyhow, they are sending out a tech today to look at it. I was hoping to have some ideas before I meet him out there. I suspect there is an air leak on the line or air trapped somewhere but it did run for a good hour when I picked it up and drove it home two weeks ago. First time trying to start myself on Friday just gave me a little chug then nothing but crank.
OhioPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Does it have two fuel filters on the cylinder head area with the adapter plate?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have over 60 psi air pressure on the air gauge, the air throttle should work. You will need to wait for the air pressure to build if lower than 60 psi.

Perhaps the mechanic did not know that.

I do not normally use the throttle to start my C8.3L Cummins.

What solenoid are you referencing?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any luck yet? Besides bad luck.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #5

Particularly if the no start occurred immediately after filter change, suspect an AIR LEAK at a filter-- perhaps incorrect gasket.

No reason you should need throttle to start a mechanical Cummins C engine.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
There is a air bleeder nut near the engine mounted fuel filter also that could have been left open slightly.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

If still "No Joy" the C engines, at least our C mechanical, have the built-in hand pump for pressurizing the fuel system.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Particularly if the no start occurred immediately after filter change, suspect an AIR LEAK at a filter-- perhaps incorrect gasket.

No reason you should need throttle to start a mechanical Cummins C engine.
I too suspect a double-gasket filter install, they will always leak. Either that or someone unplugged the 12V connection to lift pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, fuel