Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #1

1999-350hp 8.3 Cummins (stop engine light)

400 miles into trip going up mountain the red “stop engine light “ came on and motorhome started bucking
Pulled off and will not start. Checked everything I knew to check and seemed fuel related.
Replaced both fuel filters and got it running.
Drove to top of hill and started doing same thing but not stalling, seems like if you back out of gas it has time to recover and will drive again until you put under a load.
Changed fuel filters again and seemed like a lift pump issue.... also leaking a bit. Put new lift pump on a same situation. It runs, idles, and will drive at slow speeds, until you put under a load.

Help?
Slojoe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Cummins forum?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Quite a few threads in the site talk about this issue.

Found this one, in particular. It sounds very similar to your problem:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cum...em-160936.html

Look specifically at posts #8 and #17.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #4

Is this a C or an ISC?
Old 10-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #5

We have to 100% sure of your engine series to get as much good info as possible .

Is your engine the 24 valve ISC 8.3l with the CAPS fuel system and the electric lift pump ?

uchu's linked post is about the older 12 valve version of the 8.3l and the P-7100 fuel system.

Questions for the OP .
Are you able to retrieve codes related to the stop engine light ?
Was there any sign in the removed fuel filters of contamination ? Black chunks or slime ?
When you are trying to accelerate , do you notice a LOT of black smoke from the exhaust ?
Need to know if possible low or lost boost due to a turbo issue or problems between the turbo and engine intake , connections or the CAC leaking boost pressure .

EDIT: I see Brett , asked the same question while I was typing. Boy I type slow .
Old 10-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

What Slojoe describes sounds to me like air is being sucked into the fuel system. The lift pump only runs for ~ 30 seconds when the key is first turned on, but if the gasket between lift pump and 12V motor is leaking air into the fuel system you'll see reduced negative fuel pressure at the primary filter when a pressure gauges is installed. Normal is approx. -5 psi.
And yes, there is at least one irv2.com thread discussing this very topic. Look for posts by IMPRSD, he is very good on ISC engines.

1998 was the first year for the Cummins ISC 8.3. I have the same 350 HP version in my MH on a 1999 Spartan chassis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #7

It is 8.3 - 24 valve ..... no black smoke.

On 1st set of filters there was a little slime in bottom.

It will run for hour sitting still, drive up and down road under moderate acceleration.

Put under a load, go up mountain .... red stop engine and bucks.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojoe72 View Post
It is 8.3 - 24 valve ..... no black smoke.

On 1st set of filters there was a little slime in bottom.

It will run for hour sitting still, drive up and down road under moderate acceleration.

Put under a load, go up mountain .... red stop engine and bucks.
ISC engine.

Slime in bottom of filters is sign of algae or other contamination that can clog/impede fuel delivery.

New lift pump appears to have been installed after the filter change, which means the new filters may also be clogged.

Change filters again, and carefully inspect the most recent ones you removed. If you still see evidence of "slime," then that's most likely the issue.

Your CAPS system works on negative pressure meaning the main pump pulls the fuel from the tank all the way through the system into the accumulator. It doesn't take much of an obstruction along the way for the amount of fuel to be reduced to the point of starvation, especially under load. A code reader would probably show a fuel pressure fault.

Just be aware, that leaking lift pump allowed air into the fuel stream for the duration it was leaking. That causes loss of lubrication to the main CAPS pump and eventual failure. Not saying this is the case, just letting you know how extreme this could get. The evidence of algae in the system is the most likely cause, and needs to be addressed first, along with retrieval of codes, as soon as you are able.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
ISC engine.

Slime in bottom of filters is sign of algae or other contamination that can clog/impede fuel delivery.

New lift pump appears to have been installed after the filter change, which means the new filters may also be clogged.

Change filters again, and carefully inspect the most recent ones you removed. If you still see evidence of "slime," then that's most likely the issue.

Your CAPS system works on negative pressure meaning the main pump pulls the fuel from the tank all the way through the system into the accumulator. It doesn't take much of an obstruction along the way for the amount of fuel to be reduced to the point of starvation, especially under load. A code reader would probably show a fuel pressure fault.

Just be aware, that leaking lift pump allowed air into the fuel stream for the duration it was leaking. That causes loss of lubrication to the main CAPS pump and eventual failure. Not saying this is the case, just letting you know how extreme this could get. The evidence of algae in the system is the most likely cause, and needs to be addressed first, along with retrieval of codes, as soon as you are able.
Excellent advice!
Old 10-31-2021, 09:06 AM   #10

seems fuel / load related. runs up and down road fine but on hill ... no likey.

I've changed the fuel filter 3 times and after the first ones they have been clean. install lift pump - it was leaking

whatever is demanding more fuel under a load .... is where the issue is. Whether be air in system, not enough fuel, or whatever ....

its at a shop now, had it towed

joe
Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojoe72 View Post
seems fuel / load related. runs up and down road fine but on hill ... no likey.

I've changed the fuel filter 3 times and after the first ones they have been clean. install lift pump - it was leaking

whatever is demanding more fuel under a load .... is where the issue is. Whether be air in system, not enough fuel, or whatever ....

its at a shop now, had it towed

joe
Thanks for the update. Please let us know what is discovered by the shop.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:35 PM   #12

Sorry for this late post. I just remembered the 12V fuel distributor module on the main pump quit shortly after(600 miles) having the lift pump and suppressor replaced.
I remember the engine being sluggish before the fuel distributor module, and engine quit.
If yours is having problems the ECM will have codes stored. Cummins Great Plains repaired ours. It took 5 days dry-camping in their parking lot waiting on a new module last year.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #13

sooooooo shop couln't read codes, and didn't have correct fitting to check fuel pressure.
So i went to pick it up ..... lots of hills where it was at so had to determine how much pedal i could give it before it started cutting out.

1st couple hills was trying to drive it normal - but a few seconds after being at 30 psi boost it start jerking "stop engine"
I backed off the pedal and kinda limped it over the hill.

After a few hills, i found 10-14 psi boost is about all the pedal i could put into it before it would start bucking.
I drove 220 miles just keeping it around 10-14 boost or less. I could go higher for a limited amount of time, but 10-14 psi i could stay in it all the way up the mountains.

joe
Old 11-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #14

My engine and ECM are 1999, three mobile mechanics could not retrieve codes from the ECM. Towed to Cummins Great Plains; they could not retrieve codes either. They had to remove the old software and install a newer issue of the ECM software. Then they took the old software to an old laptop they had, it could and did display the codes.

Tags
1999, cummins, engine, light