Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

1999 Cummins ISB 24V oil pan gasket change

I have a lot of crusty oil from build up front to back of the pan. It's even on the radiator. I got under the rig and wiped some of the crud from the middle part of the passenger side of the pan and noticed fresh oil the following day.

I guess the first, cheapest and easiest thing for a backyard mechanic is to change the oil pan gasket.

Is the pan gasket for my rig different than a Dodge pickup that has a Cummins? I doubt it; but, I need to be sure. I know pans differ. Just wondering about the gasket.

If there are any precautions, please let me know.

What is that open steel tube near the front of the engine for? Is that some kind of breather tube. Maybe a lot of the oil buildup came from that. This is my first MH, and diesel powered.

Anyone know the torque speck for the pan bolts, by chance...

TIA
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had mine off last winter, not a bad job. Don't mess around with a aftermarket gasket.....go right to your local Cummins shop and get a OEM gasket. Use a thin bead of Permatex's ultra copper on both sides of the gasket. 18' lbs. is the torque spec. As far as the tube hanging down, yes that is the breather tube for the engine. Drill holes in a water bottle top, pepper it with 1/4" holes and rig it onto that tube and things will stay a lot cleaner.The torquing pattern is for the ISC but would be the same I believe. Look at post #7 & 10 and you will see my setup for my breather tube here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/tire...ap-164057.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISC OIL PAN TORQUE PATTERN.jpg
Views:	9029
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	47774  
Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That open tube is a breather and often referred to as a slobber tube. Reason is that oil will exit the tube and coat everything. A search will turn up ways to devise a catch can for the oil. I use the peanut butter jar method.

The oil will coat the CAC which is mounted in front of the radiator and cause dirt to stick and can completely block the air flow if not cleaned on a regular basis
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
What is that open steel tube near the front of the engine for? Is that some kind of breather tube. Maybe a lot of the oil buildup came from that.
Do a search for slobber tube. On how to keep oil & dirt from clogging the CAC & radiator. Also your CAC & Radiator probably needs a good cleaning.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #5

Great info, Thanks!

Now, can anyone advise on how to clean the radiator and what products that WORK and which to avoid to prevent damage to aluminum.

Is a high pressure water wand out of the question?

So, the CAC is in front of the radiator and the radiator is what I see when I lift the engine cover under the bed? Or vise versa...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Simple Green is a good cleaner for the radiator and CAC. With a rear radiator, the CAC is closer to the engine. Apply Simple Green to both sides and flush with garden hose. It is possible to bend the fins with a pressure washer held too close. After cleaning look though with a flashlight from behind to see if it's clean.
Your oil build up may just be from the slobber tube, not the pan gasket. In later years Cummins extended the tube and it's common to add an extension to the tube to get the snarff away from the radiator and fan.. Don't block the tube, it has to drain and be sure water can't collect in a low spot and freeze in the tube..
Simple green discussion on Aluminum..Frequently Asked Questions
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Simple Green is a good cleaner for the radiator and CAC. With a rear radiator, the CAC is closer to the engine. Apply Simple Green to both sides and flush with garden hose. It is possible to bend the fins with a pressure washer held too close. After cleaning look though with a flashlight from behind to see if it's clean.
Your oil build up may just be from the slobber tube, not the pan gasket. In later years Cummins extended the tube and it's common to add an extension to the tube to get the snarff away from the radiator and fan.. Don't block the tube, it has to drain and be sure water can't collect in a low spot and freeze in the tube..
Simple green discussion on Aluminum..Frequently Asked Questions
Simple green has a heavy duty cleaner that is safe for aluminum and home depot has it for about $15 a gallon. I mix the simple green and a little dawn dish detergent in a cheap pump up sprayer and have at it. Seems to do a wonderful job for me. Hope this helps.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

Hey, Dawn sounds like it would work well. Good tip.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would install a catch can for the slobber tube clean the area and see if it is the pan or oil from the slobber tube.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, gas