Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
1999 Dutch Star Cummins ISC ECM parameters

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star Model DSDP 3858 with a Cummins 8.3 ISC engine on a Spartan Chassis with an Allison transmission. My ECM went bad and I was unable to get the settings out of it. Spartan is unable to give me the parameters. Is there anyone out there with these parameters? Document. Is there anyone in Northern California with this same motorhome that would let me copy the settings out of their rig? I am between a rock and hard place, any help would be much appreciated!
KeithN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 07:56 PM   #2

I believe the correct way would be to get the full engine info off the , Cummins tag on the top of the timing gear housing and contact Cummins Quick Serve .

Red circle in photo .
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #3

I bought a used ecm $250 for my ‘98 a week or so ago off eBay as a spare and the seller told me it would need programming to my specific VIN number. I tried it and got a stop engine light so no go.

Right now its at freightliner for programming, they asked for the VIN and said they can get the “core calibration” from Cummins. Im not sure if that’s everything in the ECM or not but they also have my still good ECM for the rest of the settings if needed.

I also checked with Cummins and they will sell a reman programmed ECM for around $2500

And i also called goecm.com and they could provide a reman ECM programmed to my VIN for $895 + $600 core charge, haven’t used them but they seem reputable and way cheaper than Cummins
Old 09-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for the comments! I purchased the new ecm from Goecm. I sent my old one to them for pulling the settings off but they could not get to the settings or do a backup. After installing it into my rig my mechanic copied the computer errors and we sent the ecm back 3 times to Goecm, paid for by them. Goecm was good to work with but I was never able to speak with a person that was knowledgeable, only the front desk people. The last two times we had the same errors, so I picked up the motor home to move it back to my area. It runs but has error lights. I took it to a Cummins dealer and it has been there 2 months. They told me I needed the parameters from Newmar. Newmar doesn't touch the ecm and told me to go talk with Spartan. After weeks working with Spartan they told me that the parameters have been lost. I am waiting for a manager from Spartan to call me back. Cummins is also going to try working with their engineers.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #5

Sorry to hear of all the issues, I guess its good im being proactive with mine after all.

Hopefully you get it resolved soon, please let us know.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone out there know of a way to find other people that have the same motor home as you?
Old 09-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithN View Post
Anyone out there know of a way to find other people that have the same motor home as you?

That would be difficult because even with the same part number ecm there may be different calibrations and settings, I don’t know how anyone could know for sure what would work.

If you have your ecm p/n google it and see if theres any on ebay. The same PN ECM should work electrically but the software may be different and may or may not work better than what you have now.

Heres pic of my ecm with the p/n and ecm code. If you could find one where these match it would be your best chance

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5588.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	377613
Old 10-02-2022, 04:00 AM   #8

Spartan is not involved in this.

Keith, I also have a 1999 Cummins ISC 8.3, 350HP. Without a full explanation, Cummins Great Plains needed to connect to my ECM, but could not read the codes because the ECM software was too old/obsolete.
They wound up removing the ECM, taking it into their shop where they had an old computer that could read the obsolete software. They pulled the codes, diagnosed them, then wiped my ECM clean and installed the latest firmware program.

Afterwards even my gauges did not seem to work the same, but they appear accurate.

I hope that is helpful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update on my situation:

When I called Spartan they say they used to have the parameters for the ecm but they have lost them. The manager said he might be able to remember them from memory if I could ask him the questions after being connected to the ecm. After waiting two weeks for him to call me I called Spartan back and his employee told me the he had a mountain of things to do and I was not near the top.

The Cummins dealer charged me $700 to hook up to the ECM and tell me it had the latest cummins software in it but they needed to get the parameters from Spartan but when they called Spartan they just laughed. The dealer told me if a similar rig was to come in they could pull the settings off of it. He was unable to tell me if a similar rig was ever at their shop.

I have purchased hardware and software to be able to connect to the ECM myself. The next move will be to find a similar rig to pull the settings out of.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-25-2022, 07:19 PM   #10

When you say you have the hardware and software do you mean Insite? If so being a 99 there aren’t that many parameters and some fiddling should produce acceptable results.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:17 PM   #11

Just as reference heres the printout from cummins of my ecm settings from my 98 ISB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Ecm Settings.pdf (773.6 KB, 16 views)
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jon C,
Thank you for a starting point! I have a ISC and maybe if I use your ISB settings it might be close? And maybe Spartan might be able to remember changes?

Tags
1999, cummins, dutch star, ecm