Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

2000 Cummins ISC 350 Low Boost.

I have had the low boost problem for 6 years. Cummins West now Cummins Pacific has been working on it the whole time with no results. They have replaced almost everything, Injectors, High Pressure pump, lift pump, turbo, boost sensor, and a few other things. I have replaced the CAC, fuel tank and filters. I am running about 5 to 6 lbs low on boost, 19 to 21 on my guage. It used to be about 26 inches. Cummins Pacific has given up saying it within parameters, but on the low side. I have lost 2 gears on any hill I go up. It starts good and there is no smoke. Very poor turbo response, lag. Exhaust temps run 800, which is low. Any suggestions?
crawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawbob View Post
I have had the low boost problem for 6 years. Cummins West now Cummins Pacific has been working on it the whole time with no results. They have replaced almost everything, Injectors, High Pressure pump, lift pump, turbo, boost sensor, and a few other things. I have replaced the CAC, fuel tank and filters. I am running about 5 to 6 lbs low on boost, 19 to 21 on my guage. It used to be about 26 inches. Cummins Pacific has given up saying it within parameters, but on the low side. I have lost 2 gears on any hill I go up. It starts good and there is no smoke. Very poor turbo response, lag. Exhaust temps run 800, which is low. Any suggestions?
By the sounds of things you must have spent like 12K?? or more.Seems silly replacing things like main pump? CAC could be pressure check and repaired if it did leak? Injectors? not likely.What would replacing fuel tank have to do with turbo boost. a 350HP cummins should run 28-30 lbs boost
I had a 350HP and installed the Banks fuel management system and could get
as high as 38-9 lbs boost @ 1275 EGT. Is it possible your ECM is wrong in its programing?
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I assume you or they have tried another guage in it to verify your gauge is reading correct? It almost sounds like the turbo wastegate valve is open a bit....... not allowing proper boost? and that condition would cause the "lag" time to be even worse. Just a thought.....
Some reading here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/turb...te-108946.html
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Replaced fuel tank for other reasons. They also replaced computer with a test computer with no change. Also reprogramed computer out of specs with out any change. Waste gate is OK.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Had banks system on and it only gives 23 Lbs of boost. About 2 to 3 Lbs of boost more than stock. The boost shown on their computer is 44 to 46. Should be over 55.
they say 46 is with in margins, but on the low side.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Bad boost gauge?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Not a bad boost gage. Cummins computers give the same results. Cummins can't figure it out. A bad boost gage would not cause me to loose 2 gears on a hill. Only low boost, HP, dose that.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawbob View Post
Had banks system on and it only gives 23 Lbs of boost. About 2 to 3 Lbs of boost more than stock. The boost shown on their computer is 44 to 46. Should be over 55.
they say 46 is with in margins, but on the low side.
iam not sure what your referring to but the ISC 350HP cummins DOES NOT
ever get 44-46 lbs of boost never mind 55??
I installed the Banks system on my 2002 350HP cummins which they claimed added 115HP and 200lbs boost.It was very good power but highest the gauge read was 38lbs which is about 8 lbs over max stock
I still cant understand installing a 4000$ fuel pump was supposed to do?
I do know that the stock 350HP cummins when loaded up and pulling toad was poor power on steeper passes and was the reason I turned to the bank system
I would down to 4th gear on lots of mountain passes before the banks system
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Well after 6 years and a whole bunch of $$$$$ thrown at the problem by you and what ever the Authorized Cummins dealer has done for you with no results......I am thinking you are going to get the same questions and answers that you have had listened to for 6 years on here, maybe...... Have you just taken it to the same Cummins shop or have you given another Cummins dealer a chance to look at your problem, a second opinion, or 3rd opinion on this matter?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

could it be something as simple as the max fuel pressure setting on the fuel rail pressure switch is too low(wrong setting) as in bad switch etc

any possibility you have a exhaust muffler system problem?

exhaust brake not fully opening?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Crawbob, did you have anything done at the time you noticed your boost go down? Was it a sudden drop of boost or was it a gradual decline? Has the turbo itself been replaced or repaired? I used to run a fuel injection repair shop and we repaired turbos. With some answers maybe I can help.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
Crawbob, did you have anything done at the time you noticed your boost go down? Was it a sudden drop of boost or was it a gradual decline? Has the turbo itself been replaced or repaired? I used to run a fuel injection repair shop and we repaired turbos. With some answers maybe I can help.
Just read the op and u will see he says replaced turbo as also many other things
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fair enough McRVnut, but the other questions will still help to diagnose the problem. I did not go back and re-read the OP before offering my help. My bad.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

The 44 to 46 Lbs of boost is inside the intake manifold. You have to add the barametric pressure to you boost gage to get the same reading as the intake manifold pressure the Cummins diagnostic computer give you. This is where The Cummins computer takes its readings. Every thing reads normal, on the low side, according to Cummins. Full throttle, fuel pressure etc..

Tags
cummins