Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

2003 CAPS ISL - FS1242 vs FS1015

Just home from having my yearly Oil/Lube/Filter/Etc. completed. Reviewing the receipts parts lists - I noticed that the shop used FS1242 vs the FS1015 that had been on the coach.

This is a Country Coach, that had FS1022 (replaced with another FS1022) and the FS1015.

So checking out Sir Google, I think I read that the FS1242 was superseded with the FS1015?

My question!

Should I just run with this until next service, or should I replace the FS1242 with a FS1015?

Appreciate any and all input,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Just home from having my yearly Oil/Lube/Filter/Etc. completed. Reviewing the receipts parts lists - I noticed that the shop used FS1242 vs the FS1015 that had been on the coach.

This is a Country Coach, that had FS1022 (replaced with another FS1022) and the FS1015.

So checking out Sir Google, I think I read that the FS1242 was superseded with the FS1015?

My question!

Should I just run with this until next service, or should I replace the FS1242 with a FS1015?

Smitty
Smitty,

The 1015 is an upgrade of the 1242. The FS1242 is a treated cellulose paper media. The FS1015 is Stratapore melt blown synthetic media. They are the same micron rating. Next time, you should have your own FS1015. I expect they will charge a little less if you supply your own. You should have spare fuel filters as they can become plugged unexpectedly.

http://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com...&currentPage=1
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Smitty,

The 1015 is an upgrade of the 1242. The FS1242 is a treated cellulose paper media. The FS1015 is Stratapore melt blown synthetic media. They are the same micron rating. Next time, you should have your own FS1015. I expect they will charge a little less if you supply your own. You should have spare fuel filters as they can become plugged unexpectedly.

http://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com...&currentPage=1

Thanks Gary - Classic, the order from Filter Barn for the expired (earlier thread) fuel filters came this afternoon. (Two each of the FS1015 and FS1022).

We hope to take a 14K mile trip to Alaska starting in late April, I was planning on changing the doing the next Lube/Oil/Filters/Etc. when we returned. I carry the two spare for each filters as back up.

So by September I should have FS1242 off. But, if theirs a risk of needing to pull over on the road to do this while traveling, I'd gladly replace it today with the FS1015. Hate to waste it for 6-7 months max usage, but will do so to avoid the risk of needing to do so 'unscheduled'!

Would you replace the FS1242 with the FS1015 before such a 14K mile trip?

TIA,
Smitty
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am about to get spare fuel filters for mine. I have a favorite fleet shop who sells Baldwin filters.

Those Fleetguard #'s cross to Baldwin BF1393-SP (FS1015) and either BF1293-SPS or BF1272-SPS with a note of either rectangular or oval sensor. Do either of you know which sensor I would have on my ISL or is that going to be coach-specific?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:

My question!

Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I am about to get spare fuel filters for mine. I have a favorite fleet shop who sells Baldwin filters.

Those Fleetguard #'s cross to Baldwin BF1393-SP (FS1015) and either BF1293-SPS or BF1272-SPS with a note of either rectangular or oval sensor. Do either of you know which sensor I would have on my ISL or is that going to be coach-specific?

Thanks.
Sorry, no idea.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Gary, I now have straight from the Cummins Quickserve web site the filters recommended for my engine:

FS1065 and FF5636.

Now the question is are the major filter makers pretty much equal in essential quality? I can certainly just get the Fleetguard filters and stick to OEM or go with Wix, Baldwin, or Donaldson. I try to support my local businesses and can get any of these locally.

I do notice from the websites that Wix claims a 2 micron rating for the secondary filter compared to 5 microns for Baldwin or Donaldson. I can't seem to find that spec for the Fleetguard.

Is this primarily an academic exercise or is there a good reason for me to stick with Fleetguard?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Gary, I now have straight from the Cummins Quickserve web site the filters recommended for my engine:

FS1065 and FF5636.

Now the question is are the major filter makers pretty much equal in essential quality? I can certainly just get the Fleetguard filters and stick to OEM or go with Wix, Baldwin, or Donaldson. I try to support my local businesses and can get any of these locally.

I do notice from the websites that Wix claims a 2 micron rating for the secondary filter compared to 5 microns for Baldwin or Donaldson. I can't seem to find that spec for the Fleetguard.

Is this primarily an academic exercise or is there a good reason for me to stick with Fleetguard?
Smitty,

They weren't 2 micron at Fleetguard but did meet Cummins spec. The old FS1242 was 25 micron as it was intended to be a prefilter to remove water and larger dust particles. Everybody claims they have a 2 micron product. In my opinion, Wix is sketchy. Putting on an unnecessarily small micron rating generally leads to short filter life and can be detrimental to fuel flow requirements if the original system did not spec a filter at 2 or 5 or whatever. Baldwin is a good choice. Donaldson used to buy Fleetguard but I have been away too long to know. Just look at the filter. If it says "Stratapore Inside" or "Stratapore" even with Donaldson's name, it was made by Fleetguard. Baldwin did not buy from Fleetguard. They make their own and use a treated paper for water removal as did the FS1242. As I said earlier, Stratapore does not necessarily mean the filtration is better. Just the media is cheaper as it is produced in-house rather than buy from a supplier.

To get Fleetguard or Baldwin filter micron rating, call their 800 numbers to get their tech support group. They can help you.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Smitty,

They weren't 2 micron at Fleetguard but did meet Cummins spec. The old FS1242 was 25 micron as it was intended to be a prefilter to remove water and larger dust particles. Everybody claims they have a 2 micron product. In my opinion, Wix is sketchy. Putting on an unnecessarily small micron rating generally leads to short filter life and can be detrimental to fuel flow requirements if the original system did not spec a filter at 2 or 5 or whatever. Baldwin is a good choice. Donaldson used to buy Fleetguard but I have been away too long to know. Just look at the filter. If it says "Stratapore Inside" or "Stratapore" even with Donaldson's name, it was made by Fleetguard. Baldwin did not buy from Fleetguard. They make their own and use a treated paper for water removal as did the FS1242. As I said earlier, Stratapore does not necessarily mean the filtration is better. Just the media is cheaper as it is produced in-house rather than buy from a supplier.

To get Fleetguard or Baldwin filter micron rating, call their 800 numbers to get their tech support group. They can help you.

Thanks again Gary! But as info to others, that was Smlranger that you were responding to about Baldwin/Wix.

Also as info, I did ask Gary via PM, if he would swap out the FS1242 with the FS1015 - or run this cycle with the FS1242. He responded to just run with the FS1242.

I've also added his link on filters, to my Cummins favorites!

And Smlranger - Glad you found the info on filters for your coach. I personally see no reason to shop around for other filters, as the Fleetguards are an known commodity. Baldwin, Donaldson, others - make good filters too - but I consider Fleetguards a 'sure thing'.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again Gary! But as info to others, that was Smlranger that you were responding to about Baldwin/Wix.

Also as info, I did ask Gary via PM, if he would swap out the FS1242 with the FS1015 - or run this cycle with the FS1242. He responded to just run with the FS1242.

I've also added his link on filters, to my Cummins favorites!

And Smlranger - Glad you found the info on filters for your coach. I personally see no reason to shop around for other filters, as the Fleetguards are an known commodity. Baldwin, Donaldson, others - make good filters too - but I consider Fleetguards a 'sure thing'.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty, I agree and that is what I did. I stopped by my local Cummins CoachCare today and got the Fleetguard filters. And with my Cummins Power Club discount, I paid the same price as I was seeing on Amazon for the filters and paid no shipping, of course.

Gary