Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2004 Allegro Bus with check engine light...HELP stuck here.

This is for a friend who is stuck here in Mexico near Puerto Vallarta. He has a 2004 Allegro Bus with a ISL cummings. Sitting for past 40 days in RV park then tried to leave yesterday and check engine light came on and no power when he tries to drive. Checked a few things out and dis-connected chassis batteries to try and reset computer. Coolant checked and topped up just to make sure. Call to Freightliner and they indicate we must get a OPD reader to read the check engine light to figure out what is going wrong. Problem is closest one seems to be back in the USA, 3 days away by car. The tow bill alone would be a tough one. Does anyone have a suggestion and please do not bombard me with issues about going to Mexico.
I appreciate all your help and thank you for any help you can offer.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi View Post
This is for a friend who is stuck here in Mexico near Puerto Vallarta. He has a 2004 Allegro Bus with a ISL cummings. Sitting for past 40 days in RV park then tried to leave yesterday and check engine light came on and no power when he tries to drive. Checked a few things out and dis-connected chassis batteries to try and reset computer. Coolant checked and topped up just to make sure. Call to Freightliner and they indicate we must get a OPD reader to read the check engine light to figure out what is going wrong. Problem is closest one seems to be back in the USA, 3 days away by car. The tow bill alone would be a tough one. Does anyone have a suggestion and please do not bombard me with issues about going to Mexico.
I appreciate all your help and thank you for any help you can offer.
Hello, I doubt a Opd reader will help you out????? I would say you are going to need a laptop computer with the Cummins "Insite" program on it to plug in to the 9 pin connector to read the Cummins ECM, to get the fault code. I read some posts where the silverleaf system seems to read the codes also I am thinking, but not sure on that.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/chec...ode-93190.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=erro...y=0&gws_rd=ssl
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

Just thinking if you are in a spot where you can get mail, maybe you could order a Scangauge D and have it shipped to you or have someone in the US order it for you then have them ship it to you.
ScanGaugeD - Advanced J1939 & J1708 compatible Vehicle Monitor for Diesel Pusher Vehicles : Linear Logic
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a similar problem and called Cummins. The tech talked me through the procedure to get the error code, she then told me what it was and what it meant.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Silverleaf and it will read codes from the ECM, if you are near other RV's maybe you could see if someone has one to plug in.

Also, on my 2002 Monaco Windsor I could also get codes from the dash. There is an engine diagnostic's button that you press and it will give blink codes. You might check to see if your friend's coach has this capability. Attached is a portion of the manual that shows how to get blink codes from dash.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Engine Diagnostic function.pdf (345.0 KB, 106 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I learned here last night after my above post after researching on the Scangauge D , I ordered one from Advance Auto.......$127.00 total, shipped today!
Thank you for the file Jim, Saved !
Old 02-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Was able to get the Cummings dealer from Guadalajara to drive down and bring the proper scan tool. They found some type of sensor that sends signal from gas pedal to engine was defective but was able to reprogram it to get him back to a dealer that would have a replacement part. Thanks to all those who sent in suggestions, it was appreciated.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi View Post
Was able to get the Cummings dealer from Guadalajara to drive down and bring the proper scan tool. They found some type of sensor that sends signal from gas pedal to engine was defective but was able to reprogram it to get him back to a dealer that would have a replacement part. Thanks to all those who sent in suggestions, it was appreciated.
Must be the "Throttle position sensor" that went bad........
Thank you for the update, and I am glad it is figured out and you are up and running!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
this story says a lot for cummins and for far away friends.

Tags
check engine light