Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

2004 Dynasty Oil pan change out? ISL400

Anyone here done it, I am no stranger to the end of a wrench but after looking at the crank balancer end mount it looks like I need to drop the trailer hitch/motor mount combo bracket to get the pan off??

If so I assume I need to support the engine any suggestions as to the best way to go about it?

If the pan would clear the journals when dropped it would be a no brainer but my guess is that would not be the case

Thanks

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

I changed out a pan on a 450ISL on the 2013 Allegro Bus without removing the engine mount. If you could post a good picture of the area I might be able to tell if it looks similar to mine. Are you changing a composite pan or metal pan? Quite a bit of difference.

Go to your local Cummins dealer and ask him to burn you some copies of their tech data on how the pan comes down, how the stiffener mounts and how the pan bolts are torqued. My change out took about 2 hours, but mainly because I was being very careful and going very slow.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Metal pan
I will get a picture tonight

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 02-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_113014.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	118760

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_113129.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	118761

Thinking about trimming the bottom plate R&R pan and welding the plate back up or adding another tube under the mount after

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Very different from mine. On mine I was able to drop the pan just about straight down. The block has a skirt that drops lower than the bearing journals, and then there's a steel plate that mounts to that skirt. They call it a block stiffener I believe. The plate is flat and the pan then mounts to it. The journals and the oil pickup hang below the skirt, so it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you can drop your pan and get it slid out. The pan bolts hold the pan, plate, and associated gaskets together. I'd send you a copy of the maintenance diagrams and directions I got from my Cummins dealer, but they're home and I'm 2000 miles away.

When you finally get to re-assembly, you might think about fabricating some studs to go into the pan bolt holes to guide things up. I put them in and slid the stiffener up and then held it up with 4 sets of Vice Grips. This then let me slide the pan up aligned, remove the vice grips and sandwich the whole mess together. With the plate, pan, associated gaskets and gasket sealer on required surfaces, things can get very messy in a hurry.

Sorry I don't have the diagrams and instructions, but your Cummins dealer should be able to give you what you need.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go to Quick serve and you can find out.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

Had it done by a local shop, they were able to jack the motor up enough to get it out and the new one back in..

New turbo drain pipe and hose also, the old one was pretty scaled with rust so just to be safe I got one from cummins when I got the pan gasket.

They found an annoying drip leak that started last year, it was the fitting on the return line to the hydraulic pump.

While they had it I had them change my Air drier filter as well

I had all the parts except the parts for the hose leak , and for way less cash than cummings!

I am a happy camper!

2016 Newmar London Aire