Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
2005 isl 370 rough acceleration

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching but have not come up with a solution so I'm hooping someone here can give me some insight or point me in the right direction.

I have a Cummins ISL 370 on a Spartan chassis with an Allison transmission.

On the way to our new location today the yellow check engine light came on.

On cruise control it SEEMS to run fine but I can tell from the scanguage fuel use that the engine is not running efficiently.

On todays drive my mpg was significantly lower than normal.

When accelerating the engine struggles and there is a fair amount of vibration. It's like the engine is missing.

These are the two code I got out of the scanguage but I have not been able to correlate them to a Cummins error code.

I replaced both fuel filters and the air filter last week in preparation for the trip. This is day three of the trip so we have been running two days without problem until this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm only here until Tuesday and being a holiday weekend no one is open. I'm concerned about moving on Tuesday.

ID: 5
FM: 5
CNT: 6

ID: 53
FM: 0
CNT: 0

Thank you,
Kenny
Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

Codes 5 and 6 are exhaust temp sensor #1 below normal voltage or shorted and high voltage sensor #1. At least it comes up in a Google search that way.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Your search skill are obviously better than mine. I'll have to research that. Do you happen to know if that would cause the loss of power on acceleration?
Old 05-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

On Cummins Quikserv you can translate the SPN codes from the Scangauge to the Cummins SID error codes (I might have SPN vs SID backward). I'd be happy to do that for you, but our engines might be different enough that what I get for our engine would mislead you.

I suggest you register (it's free!) and do it yourself to see what the code points to.

Speculation: If mileage is down and the engine is running rough, I'd personally hope the code would point to a bad injector because other single-cylinder problems are probably more expensive to fix.

HTH.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

The most common cause is dirty fuel filters.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
On Cummins Quikserv you can translate the SPN codes from the Scangauge to the Cummins SID error codes (I might have SPN vs SID backward). I'd be happy to do that for you, but our engines might be different enough that what I get for our engine would mislead you.

I suggest you register (it's free!) and do it yourself to see what the code points to.

Speculation: If mileage is down and the engine is running rough, I'd personally hope the code would point to a bad injector because other single-cylinder problems are probably more expensive to fix.

HTH.
I have a Quikserv account and tried to use the code lookup but it came back with no match. I plan to call Linear Logic Tuesday when the are open. I understand they can tell me what the codes mean but I was hoping someone here had already come across them.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The most common cause is dirty fuel filters.
I have a set onboard and I'm planning to change them out tomorrow. Hoping that resolves it. I just recently replaced them but maybe I got some bad fuel.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipular View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been searching but have not come up with a solution so I'm hooping someone here can give me some insight or point me in the right direction.

I have a Cummins ISL 370 on a Spartan chassis with an Allison transmission.

On the way to our new location today the yellow check engine light came on.

On cruise control it SEEMS to run fine but I can tell from the scanguage fuel use that the engine is not running efficiently.

On todays drive my mpg was significantly lower than normal.

When accelerating the engine struggles and there is a fair amount of vibration. It's like the engine is missing.

These are the two code I got out of the scanguage but I have not been able to correlate them to a Cummins error code.

I replaced both fuel filters and the air filter last week in preparation for the trip. This is day three of the trip so we have been running two days without problem until this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm only here until Tuesday and being a holiday weekend no one is open. I'm concerned about moving on Tuesday.

ID: 5
FM: 5
CNT: 6

ID: 53
FM: 0
CNT: 0

Thank you,
Kenny
Quickserve claims codes not valid. Do you have a spn code? That's the one that needs to be entered along with the fm code.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Quickserve claims codes not valid. Do you have a spn code? That's the one that needs to be entered along with the fm code.

No all I have is the output from the scanguage. It just gives an ID, FM, and CNT.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
The ID you display on your Scangauge is a SPN code. The translator tool on Cummins quick serve should be able to give you the Cummins code and a description from the SPN. FM is failure mode (missing data, data out of range or something like that). CNT is count (how many times it was logged).
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
So I had a guy come out and red my codes today.

Two injectors failed.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:37 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
So here is an update on the problem.

During all of this I had changed the fuel filters, crawled under over and even open the bedroom engine access in a search for anything loose or leaking. Everything looked ok to my untrained eye.

Drive to Cummins in Jacksonville on Friday and they could not take a look until Monday but they have water and electric hookups so we stayed the weekend.

Monday a tech came out ran his tests and said it looked like an electrical problem. He crawled around the engine a bit then asked me to start the engine. I did and it sounded perfect no rough idle.

He had me climb up and look over the top of the engine with him and showed me where the injector plugs were. I could se the plug for 1 & 2 and barely the plug for 3 & 4 but could not see th3 5 & 6 plug at all. I had to reach in there and find it by feel. I might be able to get to it from the bedroom hatch but that access is pretty tight.

ANYWAY, the problem was that the connector for 5 & 6 had somehow worked loose. He cleaned and reconnected it and everything ran fine. He wanted me to know where it was incase it happened again so I could resolve it.

I've read some pretty bad reviews about the guys at the Jacksonville Cummins but I have to say they we very courteous and helpful. Even offering to supply the coach with 15A service (not something they normally do) if it had to go into the shop to keep my fridge running.

This is defiantly something I could have fixed myself with a little more knowledge. I see so many posts no resolution or update and that drives me crazy so I wanted to document this here to hopefully help someone else.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #13

Thanks for the update. And you're right. It's frustrating when no one posts their resolution after so many try to help them out. Glad you got it solved.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote