Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

2006 5.9 on Freightliner XC-s SPN 0641

Greeting All!

I just acquired a 2006 Couchman Cross Country with a 5.9 cummins in it. It has been sitting for 13 years and only has 6600 miles on it. Amazingly enough it fired right up and I am in the process of changing all the fluids. It has 1 code that keep coming back.

SPN0641
FMI= 5 Current Below Normal Or Open Circuit
SPN641 Engine Variable Geometry Turbocharger Actuator #1

So I took to the google machine (and searched these forums) and found a lot of information on what might cause this. A bad actuator or stuck veins in the turbo, or since it is possible open circuit maybe a corroded terminal or bad connection?

Then I went under the bed and opened the hood (if you call it that)? Took a look down and It looks like the turbo on it is old school, oil in and oil out. I do not see an actuator mechanism on it There are two electrical connections just past the turbo, maybe a temp sensor for one, not sure what the other is.

I am pretty confused, anyone else ever see anything like this?
dude47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Yes it has power going to it. Also engine coolant lines mine . Mine had engine coolant leaking into it and stuck the actuator up I ended up changing the actuator but I still had problems so I change the turbo. You can download a PDF file on the on the turbo it will give you an idea what you were up against I would check with Freightliner or Cummings and see if the fault codes line up with what you found the price for turbo is expensive .
countryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryheart View Post
Yes it has power going to it. Also engine coolant lines mine . Mine had engine coolant leaking into it and stuck the actuator up I ended up changing the actuator but I still had problems so I change the turbo. You can download a PDF file on the on the turbo it will give you an idea what you were up against I would check with Freightliner or Cummings and see if the fault codes line up with what you found the price for turbo is expensive .
What I am saying is my turbo doesn't have an actuator mounted to it. I am wondering if the code is supposed to be something else on a non variable turbo engine.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, new info to share with anybody concerned about old fuel. But I'd check the fuel tank and filters as algae can contaminate and clog up the systems. Something like Biobor JF.
Then if the tank is contaminated, consider fuel polishing and probably frequent filter changes as needed after biocide add.
I got one of these to check filters, works on pretty much any filter on my coach: Proform 66490 Oil Filter Cutter.

You can set up an account on Cummins QuickServe if you have your engine serial #. On my ISL 400 the data plate is on top side of the gear housing. There is lots of info on systems, trouble shooting and engine diagrams. I could not find info on that DTC, maybe specific to your engine.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Old 11-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #5

I’m fairly certain that that year ISB would have an electronically controlled waste gate. What is the ESN?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
I’m fairly certain that that year ISB would have an electronically controlled waste gate. What is the ESN?
SN is 46553612
Old 11-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #7

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the turbo?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The 5.9L engines had the fixed turbos (wastegate controlled), then in the second half of 2007 the new 6.7L Cummins came out with the Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
it has is a variable holset turbo with an electric activator at least on mine 2005 coachman cross country 5.9 Cummins and i had to get it from Cummins a rebuilt one(VGT)
Old 11-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
it has is a variable holset turbo with an electric activator at least on mine 2005 coachman cross country 5.9 Cummins and i had to get it from Cummins a rebuilt one(VGT)
Your right - well, half right.
The 5.9L had a "fixed geometry" turbo (Holset HE341CW) with a mechanical wastegate, until 2004.5 when they switched to the HE351CW (still a fixed geometry turbo but now with a "computer controlled" wastegate). The 5.9 never had a variable geometry turbo. At least to the best of my knowledge and research.

The VGT first came out with the 6.7L in 2007.5
Old 11-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
The one on my coachman is aholset VGT it has movable vanes which is controlled by a electric motor actuator and no one in the US had a rebuilt one .I had to go to Cummins (holset) and order one 4 grand that was 5 years ago.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #12

06 RV could have an 04 or 05 motor. That is the time Cummins was changing to electronic. First thing is to figure out if your motor is mechanical or electronic
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The one on my coachman is a holset VGT it has movable vanes which is controlled by a electric motor actuator and no one in the US had a rebuilt one .I had to go to Cummins (holset) and order one 4 grand that was 5 years ago.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I thought only the 6.7 had the VGT. I guess one can't trust all the info posted on the internet.

The 5.9L was discontinued because it couldn't meet the new emissions requirements (for 2007+)

Here's a site that has some good info on this engine: https://www.drivingline.com/articles...n-4-03-07-59l/
Old 11-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CountryB, You might want to check your sources. I had a 2003 300 hp 5.9 24 valve ISB with a variable geometry turbo.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner