Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #1

2008 Phaeton Turbo/Actuator question

I bought our, new to us, 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH last April.
In the checking it out and getting all preliminary servicing done, codes indicated that I needed a new Turbo and actuator. The previous owner had replaced it about 6-7 months earlier with an aftermarket unit , so I was able to get it replaced. I did have to pay labor.
Now, 11 months later, my check engine light comes on , then shortly off, so when I get back from our trip, I took it to my diesel mechanic and the code was for the turbo again.
I'll see if I can get a refund for this turbo/actuator and then go with Cummins parts.
Any idea why this would be the 4th that needed to be replaced?
Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

Is it the turbo or the actuator on this device? Is this an ISB 6.7 Cummmins?

When the key is turned on, you can hear the actuator going to the home position. Get your ears in there and have someone turn on the key.
If the actuator cannot move to the home position(not working, turbo soot) it will send a code.
The turbo and actuator have to be set up as a team, via software. Make sure that your repair depo has this software.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:02 AM   #3

The actuator is at 78% with key on and goes to 69% when started. It's showing Code: 2387

Wm
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

It is not setting up correct when the key is turned on. If this is the 3rd Turbo and actuator
It is not a very good rebuild job.
Where did you get the % from. Maybe it has not been set up correctly. Make sure the shop has the correct software to set up.
My turbo would not even move when the actuator was removed. 4 bolts and the actuator is off. Cummins will try and move the turbo via the lever inside the and under the actuator.
If the lever does not move and let the turbo slide, the turbo is toast. The actuator when the key is turned on will do a full cycle to the home position.

Cummins or others will match the Turbo and actuator for max and min boost. (software)

Repair shop has to have this software to set it up.
Does not have to be Cummins software. Goggle Turbo and actuator setup on cummins engine.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #5

Yep, the lever on the turbo was stuck on mine as well.
Got replacement from Cummins will get it dialed in and installed tomorrow.
Wm
Old 04-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #6

I had my actuator , which was working fine(tested after it was removed) replaced with the Turbo. If the actuator goes you are back to square 1 again.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #7

It appeared that the Actuator had been rebuilt 2 times already.
Yep, Time to bite the bullet and go OEM Cummins!
Wm
Old 04-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #8

Keep us posted William.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
It appeared that the Actuator had been rebuilt 2 times already.
Yep, Time to bite the bullet and go OEM Cummins!
Wm
Cummins doesn't make the turbo. Probably Holset.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Cummins owns Holset Turbo. Had my Turbo rebuilt by others(Edmonton AB), rather than Holset/Cummins
Cummins was just to expensive
Complete job cost $4500.00 CAD, rebuilt Turbo and rebuilt actuator. Cummins provided the labour.

Tags
phaeton, turbo