Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

2009 Cummins 340 ISB-front engine diesel Freightliner motorhome wont start when warm

Having a problem with the Cummins 340 ISB in our 2009 front engine diesel Freightliner chassis motorhome not starting when warm, and any advice is much appreciated on our problem or service shop!!

Had annual oil/fuel fluid/filter maintenance done 500+ miles ago, and left home with it starting fine. Then at 3 different stops after driving a couple hundred miles each it would crank fast (new engine batteries) but not fire. Let it sit 15 minutes or so and it starts after a longer than normal cranking. The first of the 3 stops where it wouldn't start when warm was for diesel fuel, but it's hard to visualize water getting into the system immediately after filling the tank. The "water in fuel" light hasn't come on but I did drain a little fuel out of the clear plastic water separator and there was no water, nor is there now. As we sit here in camp it does start when cold after a slightly longer than normal crank (knock on wood!).

Second issue is where to take it for service when we leave here. We are in North East Texas, headed toward the Anna/Melissa area (50 miles North of Dallas) for a few days with the Grandkids, so I thought I might take it to the small Freightliner/Cummins service center in Howe Texas (Just North of Anna). The shops around Dallas are bigger but not as convenient.

Any advice or ideas welcomed!!
Thanks in advance!
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the ISC not the B engine but, here's a couple thoughts. Have you changed the fuel filters recently? Your engine should have a wait to start light for the glow plugs. If one or more of the plugs are failing it may cause a hard start. When you crank and crank, is there white smoke (unburned fuel) coming from your exhaust. Have you checked for engine error codes. If the engine is sending a code it can derate the engine and inhibit starting. Air in the fuel lines can cause hard starting. As things and filters expand, an air leak can get worse

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Yes, had fuel and oil filters changed just before this "wont start when warm" thing started.

Yes it has a "wait to start" light and now that it's warmer weather (~~80) it goes out as soon as all the panel lights go out. In colder weather it stays on by itself for a few seconds then goes out. When I stop driving when it is still warm would the glo-plugs still be warm from driving it?

I haven't seen any smoke when starting but the engine is cold now.

Havent had the opportunity to check the codes, but Freightliner will do that Monday when I take it to them.

Thanks for the info!
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If it started when you had the filters changed, my guess would be that the filters are letting air in the system. Check and see if they are tight. Does your unit have a water separator filter? If so make sure it is clean and that the valve is shut. You may not see fuel leaking since the air leak could be on the vacuum side. An air leak would be similar to trying to start a diesel that has run out of fuel. If you have an electric fuel pump make sure it is functioning.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel, engine, freightliner, motorhome