Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

53 Stamped block

Have a 1999 Cummings 5.9 ISB 275 C Engine in my RV Have ben reading about all the block cracks and injector pump issues Put a new Lift pump on so the injector pump not really worried about So my Question is how many people have these engines in there RV and have had issues with them or no issues at all Just retired and just found out about this Block can crack over time Was Planing on Boon docking for the summer in the Mountains now im not sure as this has me a little worried Hopefully its just me and there shouldn't be an issue.
PatrickLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #2

Have 218,000 on my truck.....still holding water.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

I have read a lot of the trucks dont have a problem unless they have modified them However were talking a Class A RV Lol Thats why I was asking if anybody had any issues with there 5.9 Cracking or other issues going on
Old 06-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

I'll pass on my experience from 14 years doing Dodge / Cummins repairs (93/07) at a Chrysler /Dodge dealership .
During those years , I dealt with two #53 blocks , one killer dowel pin , and more VP-44 injector pump / lift pump issues than I care to remember. To this day ( 13 years retired )I'll swear, I could pull the required tools from my tool box and change a VP-44 injector pump; on a Dodge P/U; in under flat rate time.

Yes there are any number of the #53 blocks out there , still in service .
I don't know if Cummins ever collected or released info on the failure rate.
Will they ever fail ? Good question.
Even with the failure , external crack along the water jacket , the engine still runs and can be kept cool with cautious eye on the coolant level , so being stranded by the fault isn't really the issue , it's the $$$$ to repair.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Yes i have read all abt the VP44 going out Just put a new lift pump on it so maybe that will get me by for a while Thought abt putting a new one in but not ready to pull the trigger yet or is that something I should deff consider Have had this RV for 5 years finally Paid it off and haven't put 100 miles on it in that time now that im retired looking at starting up north country and working my way back down to FLA for the winter . So any suggestions will def help as im a shade tree mechanic and would rather do it at home then pay some one to do it on the road.... And i did check the dowel pin it was done already Lol
Old 06-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #6

Adding a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on the lift pump performance , would be a GOOD investment .
Dodge actually released a kit to move the original lift pump placement ( on the side of the block ) to an in the fuel tank pump ; because they determined that the engine heat and vibration was a contributing factor in lift pump failures .
Lift pump failure is a death sentence for the VP-44 as 70% of the fuel supplied to the injector pump is used for cooling and lubrication of the VP-44 and returned to the fuel tank .
Many members have posted about their replacements , with aftermarket pumps ( FASS & Air Dog pump and filter systems)and installation of fuel pressure gauges.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #7

Yes i have added a pressure Gage and a pressure light two different circuits as a back up figure two is better then one lol was also thinking of adding a second pump as close to the fuel tank as i can so the FASS mounted to the engine dont have to pull fuel so far just trying to not over think this But dont want to get stuck on side of the road because of a 100$ pump Lol