Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

8.3 ISC cracked manifold

If anyone else out there has any secrets or tips on replacing I have been spraying liquid wrench on the nuts and Bolts for a few days hopefully I will not snap off any bolts,
looking for any help or information if possible I am replacing with 21 Cummings parts
I had watched a couple videos so pretty much know what I’m getting into and he had a quote from a local Cummings facility and they’re looking at around $1200 labor if they do it
NWCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 04:01 AM   #2

Are you referring to the Cummins ISC engine? The older years like mine are known for breaking the exhaust manifold due to the entire weight of the turbocharger and associated piping resting entirely on the exhaust manifold.
The new Cummins replacement manifolds are reinforced and noticeably heavier to prevent breaking the manifold.
I had a HDT repair shop replace mine. I had soaked the bolts with PB Blaster rust penetrant twice a week for a month prior to having the work performed; still 3 bolts broke off in the block.
The technician said he had to work on those broken bolts using a mirror because they were underneath the manifold. That is one of the reasons the total bill was $3,000.

I had entirely removed the bed and framework, covered the carpeting with the sticky carpet protector and made it as easy to work almost standing on one's head as possible. The shop owner said had I not done that the labor bill would have been much higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180829_174551.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	341405  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine myself. Did the same thing, sprayed PB Blaster on the studs fro a couple of days, didn't have any problem getting the studs out.

Initially I tried to leave the turbo in place but finally ended up taking it out to provide more room. Not a bad job other then dropping tools or parts and having to go retrieve. I think I spent ~$650 on parts at the time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Suggestion

I have had good luck removing the bolts on Cummins exhaust manifolds after spraying/soaking with PB Blaster and then a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. A mechanic friend told me about the transmission fluid and acetone. I mixed it and put it in a metal squirt can (old-school oil can style).

The bolts came right out 5 days after alternately soaking with both PB Blaster and the mix.

I've also broken bolts so was quite relieved when they all came out. Can't say for sure that it was the 50/50 mix that made the difference, but it surely didn't hurt. Just a thought.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Can’t help with the replacement but it happened to us. We had it changed. Wasn’t too bad of a bill. Hope you get it done and get back on the road quick.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I did this job myself last year on my 2003 ISL with 60,000 miles on it. Soaked the bolts with PB blaster for 6 days. Our local CAT dealer had me speak with their lead mechanic before I started the work. He explained the trick for them is not to use an air gun to break them free. He recommended a long breaker bar and then tighten the bolt ever so slightly before backing it off. I did mine that way. You will feel it move slightly as you start to tighten the bolt. Then reverse the direction. After doing it I saw other posts and tube videos that mentioned the same process. It is also a good time to replace the oil feed line to the turbo. I changed the thermostat and coolant also. Good luck and let us know how it went for you.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Did Mine way back in 04- Cracked Manifold --I replaced with a new Design from Cummins has more webbing in the cast for added strength . Soak -Soak and re Soak- Please do not use an Air impact -Long Breaker bar with slow turns all the way out- Going back on I used Cummins S/Steel bolts with a High Heat Anti Seize- New Turbo Base Gasket and Cometic Gaskets on the Manifold. Took me 2 days to Finish it up.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #8

$1200 is a steal. My Cummins shop quoted me $4000.

If you are concerned about breaking bolts, you can use an induction heater on them. It's pricey. $500 for the tool vs $4000 in labor.

Induction Innovations Mini-Ductor II on Amazon.

For me, it was a gamble on reducing the risk of breaking a bolt. I didn't have any experience recovering from this situation and did not want to learn on my motorhome. I have to say the tool worked really well.
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #9

Soaking

So far so good, The $1200 was labor only, Going to try and do myself as I am a pretty good wrench, but out of my league working upside down...
I have been using the trans fluid mix and Liquid wrench to soak, I tried the EZ ones on top so those came out with the tighten and loosen trick so far..
Will get the the others but when commuted need to remove all turbo crap
Stay tuned !!!!

And Thank you !!

Old 08-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #10

Update,
All boots came out with ease, did the tighten and loosen trick, I used a hair dye bottle to mix the acetone/Trans fluid and works awesome, and has the measurements on side I made 50/50 @8 oz.
So off to order all the parts and will update
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D785FE74-9D53-462A-8BDD-F4CA1E6C4A37.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	341608  
Old 09-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #11

My Luck

Now all bolts are loose, Went to order up OEM parts...
National back order 3 months minimum....
Do I dare try the China crap?
I can get everything else from Cummins, I am also doing the oil hose and misc gaskets around turbo...
Any thoughts ? all welcome Thank you
Old 09-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't be afraid of an after market manifold. I have not doubt that the one Cummins sells is probably made there.

Do some checking, some of the aftermarket have additional support/fins cast into the manifold.

Back in ~1998 we bought a new Class C on a Ford Chassis. Within 8 months the passenger side manifold cracked and it took Ford ~4 months to repair because there were none in stock. I asked for an extension of warranty since we lost use of the rig but was denied. After we got it back we couldn't take a trip right of way as I was out of town, but when we did guess what, the drivers side manifold failed. So I installed an after market manifold. Soon after that the passenger side failed again, it warped, so I just had it machined flat and reinstalled it. The drivers side is still in good shape.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #13

gamble

Pretty much choice, but with the amount of thread grease this will have, should be no issue again if it breaks.....
Thank you