Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

8.3L turbo to downpipe exhaust leak

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200123-153248_Photos.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	273077Can anyone tell me what makes the seal between the turbo and the downpipe. I have a steady stream of exhaust coming out of the v band clamp at idle but the clamp is tight and appears to be fine.

Mine is a 12v C6TA 325hp

Noticed by smelling exhaust in coach when braking and a squeal when using exhaust brake. I started prepping the exhaust manifold to replace the gaskets and decided to fire it up and feel around and found this clamp leaking.
bearscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #2

8.3L turbo to downpipe exhaust leak

There is a metal on metal seal Between the turbo flange and the exhaust flange. If anything Is worn it will leak. Are you sure the v band clamp is tight? The picture looks like it has some room to tighten up. Is it leaking on the bottom side? I don’t see any soot in the picture where there would indicate a leak.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #3

I checked it and it is tight, I may have to open it up to find out what's inside to seal it
Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearscat View Post
I checked it and it is tight, I may have to open it up to find out what's inside to seal it
That type clamp has a torque setting, critical at that location.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearscat View Post
Attachment 273077Can anyone tell me what makes the seal between the turbo and the downpipe. I have a steady stream of exhaust coming out of the v band clamp at idle but the clamp is tight and appears to be fine.

Mine is a 12v C6TA 325hp

Noticed by smelling exhaust in coach when braking and a squeal when using exhaust brake. I started prepping the exhaust manifold to replace the gaskets and decided to fire it up and feel around and found this clamp leaking.
From my experience there has never been a seal under that V-band clamp. Its a metal flange to metal flange that is held together by the clamp. If it's leaking that bad one of the flange faces might be compromised due to rust or corrosion. Drop that band and have a look is probably your best bet.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
V Band Clamps are seldom the cause of the Leak- But rather the mating surfaces of the Pipes, most of which are thin and with all of the Heat cycles begin to loose the integrity to seal- Hence the leak, I've replaced the end Collars on mine several years ago for that very same reason.
I would suggest you loosen the clamp and inspect the mating Collar - That's where the problem is- The repair is not a big deal.
If You attempt to re-torque the Clamp- Your leak will most likely re-appear at some point. I initially tried that.
The other Option -If your Lucky - There maybe a V Band Copper Seal between the 2 mating surfaces that has deteriorated or blown out from using the Engine Brake. Not All Chassis manufactures used these Seals .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen the flange crack under the clamp. You can buy a replacement and weld it on if that's the case.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Community Moderator

There is a crush seal made for that, by Cummins. Call them to find out the PN.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

My V-band clamp had a tear in the metal, could not see it until I remover the clamp. I ordered another one and installed it, no leaks. I was throwing check engine codes because of the exhaust leak.

I had a hard time matching the old clamp numbers, they changed and could not cross reference them, I even called the manufacturer. I ordered 4 different ones until the right one fit.

No seals between the metal flanges, clamp squeezes everything together.

This was last November.

Easy fix
Old 01-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #10

I will pull it apart and see what I can find. Thanks for the tips
Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #11

Turbo Down Pipe Flange - Weld

Here's a post from an ISL-400 owner on how he welded a Walker 3" Turbo Down-Pipe Flange (Part#41657).... because Frightliner was real expensive.

...Or Freightliner may not offer the down-pipe any more?

...What I am not sure about is if this is a stainless steel part or if my turbo-down-pipe requires a stainless steel tube or not? Does anyone know? ...And if it is stainless then don't you need a special welding machine?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/400-...er-473710.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Welded Turbo Down Flange For ISL Part #41657.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	276403  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Here's a post from an ISL-400 owner on how he welded a Walker 3" Turbo Down-Pipe Flange (Part#41657).... because Frightliner was real expensive.

...Or Freightliner may not offer the down-pipe any more?

...What I am not sure about is if this is a stainless steel part or if my turbo-down-pipe requires a stainless steel tube or not? Does anyone know? ...And if it is stainless then don't you need a special welding machine?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/400-...er-473710.html
My entire exhaust system is SST. Welding SST requires a specific rod if you stick-weld. Heli-arc and wire welders are other welding methods.
Bottom line_ avoid the aggravation, locate a commercial welding shop nearby and hire it done where it has a great chance of having no pin-holes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #13

Thanks Ray, In... Do you also know our turbos only have a 3" down-pipe?

I know my tail pipe is 5".

So now I'm curious, because this summer I was thinking about removing my muffler and going with an Areo XL5050 (aka Jones XL5050) which is 5" in and 5" out.

So I would like to know:

What is the dimension of the stock muffler-in?

What is the dimension of the muffler-out?

New subject: Does anyone know if a CAPS-turbo has a Spead Sensor or not?

I know the ISL motors with a HPFR system have one. What about ISC-CAPS or ISL-CAPS?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Thanks Ray, In... Do you also know our turbos only have a 3" down-pipe?

I know my tail pipe is 5".

So now I'm curious, because this summer I was thinking about removing my muffler and going with an Areo XL5050 (aka Jones XL5050) which is 5" in and 5" out.

So I would like to know:

What is the dimension of the stock muffler-in?

What is the dimension of the muffler-out?

New subject: Does anyone know if a CAPS-turbo has a Spead Sensor or not?

I know the ISL motors with a HPFR system have one. What about ISC-CAPS or ISL-CAPS?
I'll measure my exhaust tomorrow. If my turbo has a speed sensor the sensor and wire has been missing since new.

Tags
leak, exhaust, turbo