Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

Adding Engine Brake to ISL

I have an 08 Camelot with an ISL. Currently have a PacBrake. Does anyone know the if it is possible to add a true engine brake. Cost? What's all involved.

The PacBrake works, but like more braking assist coming down the mountains.

Tks

Carl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The ISL is available from Cummins with a 2-speed Jake Brake - mine is equipped with it. But retrofitting it would probably be extremely expensive, since it is built into the heads/valves.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loranimal View Post
I have an 08 Camelot with an ISL. Currently have a PacBrake. Does anyone know the if it is possible to add a true engine brake. Cost? What's all involved.

The PacBrake works, but like more braking assist coming down the mountains.

Tks

Carl
I have an 08 ISL425, with a 2-stage Jake brake. I thought that was standard on that generation of the engine.

Not to insult you, but are you sure that isn't what you have?
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

ISL's can come in many flavors, as ordered by the coach manufacturer. They can have Pac or Jake Exhausts or Jake Compressions. IMO, retro from Exhausts to Compression, is not a cost effective move... if possible at all.

Sure could be wrong, have been before...
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Carl,
If possible, would you check the CPL number on your ISL and also the part number on your PacBrake.
My original Jacobs exhaust brake was worthless, so I replaced it with a PacBrake. That was better, but not like my previous coaches. Working with PacBrake, I field tested specially configured units, until we could get the back pressure up to 60 PSI, where it should be. PacBrake has a different part number for the ISL400 with CPL 1096. Only CPL 1096 was affected.

I, like you, was ready to jump ship and install an engine brake, until Pacbrake took on the challenge.

Take a look at those numbers and report back. No promises, but you might have a cheaper alternative.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
ISL's can come in many flavors, as ordered by the coach manufacturer. They can have Pac or Jake Exhausts or Jake Compressions. IMO, retro from Exhausts to Compression, is not a cost effective move... if possible at all.

Sure could be wrong, have been before...
Best,
Smitty
Here's where I was coming from on the thought that the engine brake was standard on EPA07 ISL engines:
Cummins Engines - On-Highway - Motorhome - EPA 07 Engines - EPA 07 ISL

Cummins makes it sound like it is. Anyway, mine is awesome -- but this is the only DP I've owned, so I don't know what it would be like with "only" an exhaust brake.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Carl,
If possible, would you check the CPL number on your ISL and also the part number on your PacBrake.
My original Jacobs exhaust brake was worthless, so I replaced it with a PacBrake. That was better, but not like my previous coaches. Working with PacBrake, I field tested specially configured units, until we could get the back pressure up to 60 PSI, where it should be. PacBrake has a different part number for the ISL400 with CPL 1096. Only CPL 1096 was affected.

I, like you, was ready to jump ship and install an engine brake, until Pacbrake took on the challenge.

Take a look at those numbers and report back. No promises, but you might have a cheaper alternative.
I had the Jacobs when I bought it. Installed the PacBrake PRXB, was supposed to be the upgraded one (C40017). Sent it back once to exchange for the upgraded one, didn't notice any difference. How can I check what my back pressure is?

Thanks

Carl
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The 2007 Camelot Brochure shows the red top engine without the two stage Jake. It mentions nothing in the specs area either. it was the beginning of the end, guess this was a way to save $$ before the crash.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Twomed,
The engine brake was for Dynasty coaches and above, while the exhaust brake was for Camelot and below.

Loranimal,
Go to this Thread for a lot of info on the PacBrake issue, and look at post #34 for testing the backpressure.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Twomed,
The engine brake was for Dynasty coaches and above, while the exhaust brake was for Camelot and below.

Loranimal,
Go to this Thread for a lot of info on the PacBrake issue, and look at post #34 for testing the backpressure.
Harry,

Thanks for the link. Testing seems easy enough. I may give it a try tomorrow if I can fine someone to watch the gauge for me. Or find a long piece of tubing.

I originally got mine when this adjustment testing was going on and had even talked with TJ. He send me a new one that was supposed to be set at the correct PSI. But even it doesn't seem any better then the Jacobs I had taken off. Family issues came up and never got around to playing with it anymore till now.

Carl
Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #11

Hooked up a gauge tonight and went for a drive. Reading 57-59 steady from 2500 down to 1100 RPM. I let my buddy, a truck driver, take it for a spin and he says it seems fine to him. Maybe even hits a little harder then his trucks. He said they could put an engine brake on it, but would cost some $$$$ and clearance on top the engine would be tight. Doesn't think it would be worth it

He also said the drivers seat was way to comfy, could take a nap while driving.

We are going to do a test on one of his trucks later for S&G.

So we'll leave it alone.

Carl

Tags
brake