Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After Market Cummins ISC330 Muffler

I have a 2007 Cummins ISC330. With past pickups, I changed, modified, tweaked about everything on them. Although I have done a lot of work on this coach, I have and will leave the engine and tranny alone. However, is there any performance improvement to be had with a muffler change? Has anyone played with different muffler changes? What were the results? Do you have a recommendation?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Logthumper,
Try Banks Power | Exhaust Systems. This is a start. You may need to call them to see what is available for your specific engine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Banks does not have a muffler, but AeroTurbine makes one that works very well on the diesel pushers. We dyno test them when installed at the shop and usually see big gains in torque on the tune of 60-85 ft. lb. tq. and about 35 HP. One of the best and safest improvements you can for economy and power on a diesel pusher!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Jon, have you done any dyno work with the MBRP mufflers?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We use the MBRP exhaust systems pretty much exclusively on diesel pickups but have always just used the AeroTurbine's on the DP's. The principal behind the AeroTurbine is that it creates a "turbine" that effectively sucks the exhaust gasses out more efficiently. I'm sure the MBRP would work good as well, its all about freeing up that restrictive muffler that comes from the factory!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

I'm curious as to how one would fit one of these mufflers to a DP. My inlet comes from the top of the muffler and exits at the rear and then makes a 90 degree turn to the side. Must one fabricate this or do they have specific applications?
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

90 degree elbows, extension pipe, hangers and clamps are all usually required to make the muffler work. Considering all the different variations DP's exhaust systems come in, doing it this way allows us to make a "custom kit" for each application. If you are interested in purchasing, all we would need is a couple photos of the exhaust routing and we will get you the necessary parts to do the job
Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

I don't need to change the muffler at the moment however I always like to prepare myself for things in the future. That muffler that's on there is huge and seems over kill to me. I may just be in touch with you in the future. Thanks for the reply.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Hi Jon, I just caught this discussion, and any kind of fuel milage/ performance increase always gets my attention, especially when I will need a new muffler sometime this fall...if it lasts that long. I have a 1999 ISC 330...is there something that can help the milage, and replace the stock muffler? Thanks for your help!
Stakealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a problem. To proceed, I first need to know what I now have in the way of my muffler. Need to know if it is sized right for the ISC330. Called Monaco (twice), both times the answer I got was that they don’t know the manufacture, model or anything about the muffler. That it came with the engine from Cummins. Several calls to Cummins = said that they have nothing to do with mufflers. However they did say that the engine could have been provided by Cummins Mid State out of Gary Indiana, and that Cummins Mid State of Gary Indiana could have also provided a muffler with the engine. Cummins Mid State of Gary Indiana is no longer in business and no records of their activity exist.
There is no name stamped on the muffler. The info stamped on the muffler is:
201970N
PE 9041
Inlet
Does anyone have any info that would help?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
90 degree elbows, extension pipe, hangers and clamps are all usually required to make the muffler work. Considering all the different variations DP's exhaust systems come in, doing it this way allows us to make a "custom kit" for each application. If you are interested in purchasing, all we would need is a couple photos of the exhaust routing and we will get you the necessary parts to do the job
Jon
Two year ago I replaced my muffler on my ISB, Freightliner XCS chassis with a stock muffler. I have the side entyr muffler and looked hard to find a performance muffler that would fit. I found none. Your capability to fashion 90 degree elbows would probably work. For all the space in a DP, things surely do get shoe horned in. Do you have some pictures of the Areo installed in a DP? I will be interested in trying the Aero muffler next time around. As usual I will check out every aspect before making a modification like this. For example, does Cummins approve of the lower restriction? Is the Aero too loud? Will the increased HP and torque be too much for my Allison 1000 that is now maxed out? Are you located in Centralia, Wa?
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
J Walker just sent me the link to this thread. I've very interested. Our RV is the same age as his and I'm still working on the original muffler. It is definitely starting to show signs of needing replacement but visual and tactile inspections has not turned up anything definite yet.

Ours is a side entry muffler like J Walker's. It is a pretty tight location. I have the following questions.
1. How could I be sure that the AeroTurbine would physically fit into the space that I have? I'm not sure that photographs alone would tell the story of the actual space available.
2. Like J Walker, I have one of the 53 ISBs cast in Brazil with a potential cracking around the exhaust manifold area. I examine that area closely and regularly but have seen no evidence of problems yet. I am somewhat concerned that an increase in torque would exacerbate the cracking problem. Is my concern unfounded?
3. I would likely tackle the replacement job myself. The inlet does not appear to be too difficult to remove but the tailpipe might be a bear. I suppose that with the muffler disconnected, I could trailer it to someplace to have the sections cut apart. Does the AeroTurbine come with enough parts to avoid the whole mess?

I would love to have a game plan in place in case the muffler decides to blow out a hole tomorrow.

Thanks,

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Unfortunately the only pictures I have of an AeroTurbine install are on one that was fairly open and easy to make work. We have never been not able to get one to fit, it is just that some require more imagination, more fittings/pipe and more time than others. We have both 4" and 5" versions and they are universal, so extra lengths of pipe are usually required as are mandrel bent elbows, strap clamps, U-clamps, universal hangers and if you want welded. The AeroTurbine frees up a lot of restricted exhaust flow, so it actually removes the heat from the manifolds quicker and more efficiently which in turn prolongs the life of the manifold. We are currently working on a Stainless/cast upgraded manifold for the ISC to solve the warping and cracking issues so many have had. The added power that is produced from the AeroTurbine will not harm your transmission, as it is nothing like a chip or module that forces the engine to produce more power...it simply is making the engine run more efficiently and in turn this allows it to produce more power to the rear wheels.

Depending on your coach configuration, this install can be quite easy or it can be quite difficult, however, like I mentioned in my previous post we will do what we can to help provide technical assistance in getting it mounted.

Here is one example of an AeroTurbine installed:

Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #14

Jon
Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I wish I had known about this a couple of years ago. Oh well, when my current muffler fails I will know what to do. I am more interested in MPG improvements than HP and torque. I feel the latter two are more than adequate for the weight of my MH. That of course is a subjective choice.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote