Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

Air filter for 2014 6.7 ISB Cummins

We have 2014 Thor Tuscany XTE with a 6.7 ISB cummins engine. I need to purchase an air filter for it before we leave for Colorado at month end. I would appreciate any assistance with part numbers and appropriate brands for my consideration. Rufus
rufusfruge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusfruge View Post
We have 2014 Thor Tuscany XTE with a 6.7 ISB cummins engine. I need to purchase an air filter for it before we leave for Colorado at month end. I would appreciate any assistance with part numbers and appropriate brands for my consideration. Rufus
did u look at the air filter>? usually they have # on it but why ? your air filter at minimum is good for 30K or more miles
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #3

Air Filter

No I haven't looked at it yet. My reason for changing is that the filter monitor is almost at the change level. I thought that I would go ahead and change it since it's also over a year old...I think it would also boost my mpg and with a trip to CO coming up i'll need all the help I can muster. Rufus
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
No I haven't looked at it yet. My reason for changing is that the filter monitor is almost at the change level. I thought that I would go ahead and change it since it's also over a year old...I think it would also boost my mpg and with a trip to CO coming up i'll need all the help I can muster. Rufus
how many miles on the unit? 2014 cant be many.Indicater will show change level; if you have been doing a bunch of WFO accellerations and also if the air intake is sized wrong
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
how many miles on the unit? 2014 cant be many.Indicater will show change level; if you have been doing a bunch of WFO accellerations and also if the air intake is sized wrong
Just rolled over 4,000.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

My Astoria with the 6.7 the air filter monitor gets to that almost stage very quickly then sits there for quite a while at least the last 10000 miles it had been on the last line before the change line. When I bought it 18 months ago I changedthe fleet for the same reasons you are but it didn't change the mpgs. Good luck
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a K & N washable with no oil filter and never need to buy another one.
And the line on the monitor will go down.
K&N Washable Heavy Duty Replacement Air Filters | Diesel Air Filters
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #8

With only 4000 miles on your rig, there is no way it needs a filter unless you have been driving strictly dust storms. The filter gauge is reacting to your driving style and/or the terrain you have been through. If you want to get another filter you will need to open the filter housing and get the make and number off the existing filter then take that # to a Truck parts supplier or a NAPA store. They can get you a new filter. an RV store will charge you twice the price as a truck store or napa.

Try resetting the filter gauge and see if it climes to the top right away. I doubt your filter is that dirty..
Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Get a K & N washable with no oil filter and never need to buy another one.
And the line on the monitor will go down.
K&N Washable Heavy Duty Replacement Air Filters | Diesel Air Filters

Sorry; I would not put a K&N filter on a Cummins engine under any circumstance. Even if I had to run a dirty paper filter until I found a new replacement one. A K&N air filter will pass to much dust in to the engine when used, not enough filtration is taking place by the filter design and choice of filter material. Check the vanes on your turbo they could be pitted from dust/dirt. At one time Cummins would void the engine warranty if a K&N air filter was found on the engine.
Here are two links from Cummins on the importance of using a paper air filter.

The Importance of Using a Paper Air Filter - Turbo Diesel News -

From the Cummins Archives: the Effect of Dust on Your Engine - Turbo Diesel News -

Jim W.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Sorry; I would not put a K&N filter on a Cummins engine under any circumstance. Even if I had to run a dirty paper filter until I found a new replacement one. A K&N air filter will pass to much dust in to the engine when used, not enough filtration is taking place by the filter design and choice of filter material. Check the vanes on your turbo they could be pitted from dust/dirt. At one time Cummins would void the engine warranty if a K&N air filter was found on the engine.
Here are two links from Cummins on the importance of using a paper air filter.

The Importance of Using a Paper Air Filter - Turbo Diesel News -

From the Cummins Archives: the Effect of Dust on Your Engine - Turbo Diesel News -

Jim W.

Agree 100%. Search back through this forum for post by Spike45 concerning K&N on diesels. When a diesel ingests 5-6 ounces of dust over its lifetime it's rebuild time.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Agree 100%. Search back through this forum for post by Spike45 concerning K&N on diesels. When a diesel ingests 5-6 ounces of dust over its lifetime it's rebuild time.
So how many years or miles does it take a engine to ingest those 5-6 oz?
Using the current power washable K&N HD filter.

When driven in non dust storm areas, and only on paved roads.
Point me to the test documents on where that has been done.

Or any post on any RV forum that someone said, they had to rebuild a engine because they used the K&N HD Diesel filter. And the miles it took them to have the problem.

But you can find post of a few needing a engine rebuild from the paper filters glue coming apart when left in without changing them for to long.
Or getting water soaked.

If the filter monitor line isn't up to the replace line. Then no gain in MPG will be gotten with a replacement of any kind of filter.

That is what my ex girlfriend, second cousins, boyfriend told me.

From my personal experience keeping from using WOT a lot and running a speed below 65 MPH will gain extra MPG. It has helped me average 10.116 MPG(all fuel put in MH in a spreadsheet) over the last 12 years.
Your experience can be different. And they is nothing wrong with that.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
So how many years or miles does it take a engine to ingest those 5-6 oz?
Using the current power washable K&N HD filter.

When driven in non dust storm areas, and only on paved roads.
Point me to the test documents on where that has been done.

Or any post on any RV forum that someone said, they had to rebuild a engine because they used the K&N HD Diesel filter. And the miles it took them to have the problem.

But you can find post of a few needing a engine rebuild from the paper filters glue coming apart when left in without changing them for to long.
Or getting water soaked.

If the filter monitor line isn't up to the replace line. Then no gain in MPG will be gotten with a replacement of any kind of filter.

That is what my ex girlfriend, second cousins, boyfriend told me.

From my personal experience keeping from using WOT a lot and running a speed below 65 MPH will gain extra MPG. It has helped me average 10.116 MPG(all fuel put in MH in a spreadsheet) over the last 12 years.
Your experience can be different. And they is nothing wrong with that.

Did you not open the links to the Cummins Engine test data that I provided on filtration?

Anything less than 99.9 % efficiency in air filtration will let in more dust than the factory recommend air filter. Even the factory air filter if it is a FLEETGUARD air filter which is rated at 99.9% efficiency will allow 0.1g of dirt through the air filter and into the engine. This is why you do oil sampling to find out the % of ingested dirt that the oil is suspending between oil changes.

Where is the efficiency data on the K&N air filter, I could not find this in the link that you provided?

Jim W.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to all contributors. It would appear as though I'm jumping the gun on the AF change. Our travels have been totally on highways and I've reset the flr indicator several times thus far. It has never been on the change line. I wasn't aware that it will take along time for it to reach the actual change filter line. All the best , Rufus
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #14

When you actually need the air filter, go to a Freightliner dealer. NAPA had to do a special order and charged $220…a Freightliner dealer charged about half of that. Aand you likely need the same filter as my 2010 Damon Astoria.

Also, take your VIN with you…the last 6 of the VIN insures that you get the right part.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins