Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

ALTERNATOR on My 2006 Monaco Knight - Cummins 8.3 ISC

After winter storage in the Big-Barn I've now found My Alternator-Waning-Light 'ON' on the dash accompanied by an intermittent Buzzing-Sound, the Auto-Electrician having

chqd out the system concluded it is the Alternator at fault probable due to Water-Ingress, He says this is quite common as, He's going to remove it and strip it down and

hopefully repair it. However should I need a replacement WHERE do You recommend and What sort of Cost is involved, Please Note I'm based in ENGLAND UK these

Alternators are NOT available over the counter Here, so I'm going to have source one in USA, any guidance would be Much Appreciated - as Always !

Yours in anticipation BRIAN
muppet3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
KIX

I strongly suggest you have the one you have rebuilt vs. buying a new one.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Precisely... Have existing rebuilt. It will be shop tested after rebuild and you know it will work correctly. Buying new one would be significantly more expensive monetarily AND there is always a chance it won't match perfectly. I would rather ship it to be rebuilt than buy new. Sincere best wishes

1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #4

Thank You Guys,

The auto-electrician is coming Tue/Wed to remove the Alternator, if He's not confident He can Rebuild it, I'll stress I will send it to someone who Can, only problem

is here in UK it might prove difficult to find the necessary parts, but I'll give it a try, Thank You all for Your advice, things make sense when it gets explained, CHEERS
Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

My alternator started making a noise last year after I washed the radiator. I ordered a new one from Freightliner for approx $400.00. My biggest problem changing out was removing the pully from the old alt.. I ended up taking it to a machine shop they cut the shaft and pressed the pully off. A new pully was not available locally and I was ready to get on the road.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
My alternator started making a noise last year after I washed the radiator. I ordered a new one from Freightliner for approx $400.00. My biggest problem changing out was removing the pully from the old alt.. I ended up taking it to a machine shop they cut the shaft and pressed the pully off. A new pully was not available locally and I was ready to get on the road.

Your comment about the pulley is an EXCELLENT POINT!!!

Muppet - Make certain they do not lose your pulley and also carefully maintain its alignment / position on the shaft. An exact replacement can be difficult to come by!

Jeff on Lake Conroe
1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a 8.3 and my alternator is basically on top of the motor off to the left. I question how water could get up there.

This is quite interesting.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #8

Hi Jeff,

Thank You for Your guidance on the Pulley etc, I'll certainly discuss that with My Auto-Electrician, and keep an eye on the job in hand Thank You.

Dons2364

Good point, the Auto-Electrician removed the Big-Splash-Guard that runs across the full width of the RV You know the thing that hangs down at the very-rear, Mine

has MONACO on it, Here in the UK We have quite dreadful weather and this Guard allows the Rain, Snow etc to swirl around the underside of the engine bay, but I must

admit when He took Me inside the bedroom area to show Me the access hole pointing out the position and awkward job in hand I must agree the Alternator is relatively

high-up in the engine-bay however it was showing an orangey colour which He felt sure was rusty-water, however I take Your point, just hoping when it's removed it Can be

Opened up easily to make repairs as necessary

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO HELPFUL "What a Great Forum" ALWAYS AT HAND
Old 05-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #9

Well Guys,

I followed Your guidance - insisting the Original-Alternator was repaired and extra care with the pulley, hence it came back today and has been put back,

I've put Her away for a couple of weeks now, as I'm busy with work, I'm assuming everything been sorted and I'll look forward to getting away just before the

end of the month. As ALWAYS I'm so appreciative of All Your Help, until the next issue BFN (by4now)

Best Regards MUPPET
Old 05-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet3074 View Post
Well Guys,

I followed Your guidance - insisting the Original-Alternator was repaired and extra care with the pulley, hence it came back today and has been put back,

I've put Her away for a couple of weeks now, as I'm busy with work, I'm assuming everything been sorted and I'll look forward to getting away just before the

end of the month. As ALWAYS I'm so appreciative of All Your Help, until the next issue BFN (by4now)

Best Regards MUPPET
Thank you for your follow-up and hope all will be great!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

My alternator is locate on the side of the engine. Water got into the alternator when I washed the radiator, which I do each year. This year I did cover the alternator while cleaning. You live and learn.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote