Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Anyone using Synthetic oil & extended drain periods?

I've put Synthetic oil in my Diesel pickup for years now, and use an extended drain, where I change the filter at 5,000 then after another 5000 change oil & filter...and continue on that way. I just recently bought our '08 Tiffin Phaeton, with the ISC and wondered if anyone goes that route on their coaches?

Also, do many do your own oil changes? I have a Fumoto Valve on my truck, so I can easily start and stop the oil from draining, so on the Cummins...having a recepticle capable of holding that much oil is more than anything "I" own, so I thought I'd see how you go about doing this?
Has anyone got a listing of all the filters, as well as all the zerk grease fittings on these things (Freightliner chassis)?

The last service (as per the maintenance sheets from the previous owner) was last October, but I'd rather get a service done sooner than later, so I have a complete confidence of when and what was done!
It was noted that he had Freightliner do his oil, Lube and filter changes, which ran in the $330. range. Another $110.- $120. if doing the generator at the same time.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I have an ISC and run Mobil One full synthetic 5-40w turbo diesel oil.
Per Cummins, change the oil and filter at 15,000miles or one year,
whichever comes first. Never hit the 15k in a year, but do have
84k on it now. Has always run great, never any issues.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Cummins says OK to use Syn but NOT to extend beyond their recommendation.
Many ignore mfg recommendations and do their own thing and justify their schedule.
After warranty it's your choice.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Shell Rotella T-6 5W-40

I just changed out both my engine [8.9] and my 10K Onan generator with the above oil. I will stay with Cummins recommended 20K engine oil change frequency but at 10K miles will drop the oil filter and replace with topping off the oil. The generator I plan on doing that same procedure at 150 hours with complete change at 300 hrs.

I still change my own oil as of this time. The engine with it's 9 gallons requires two 5 gal buckets to catch. I would not use that quick dump valve because of the location of the drain plug and all of the road debris that could kick up and possible break it off. Loosing oil in that engine would be very $$$$ to replace.
Same goes for my generator which is on a slide out but the plug is on the very bottom and catching the 5 quarts is no big deal.

I am enrolled in Shell's "My Miles Matter" program too. You enter the code underneath each of the caps to record. They propose to provide an additional engine warranty when using their product but know no one who put a claim in to find out if it is for real.

You can call freightliner for the part numbers for oil filters etc. I do a cross reference on the www. Fram.com web site to find their filter for my Generator only. They have a filter specifically for use with Synthetic oil. I use the Fleetguard 8.9 engine filter that I have found on Amazon so the cheapest.

Found a 3/4 a mile per gallon increase when using the Synthetic oil. This oil is the only oil recommended for my Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel too.

Enjoy
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I've attached the Cummins ISC Maintenance Guide, it answers the OP clearly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CUMMINS MAINTENANCE GUIDE.pdf (101.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
With the mileage I put on in 1 year, and the service interval being at 15k, I do not see the benefit of spending the extra money on the Synthetic oil. I have never come close to the 15k service........and my oil gets changed once a year. Rotella 15w-40 in mine.......road and years proven.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

First thing I did after buying my 2002 coach last July. Running top quality synthetic in everything except rear differential...that's next. Have used synthetic in all my vehicles since 1992 along with oil analysis just like on our jet engines.
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Md11fpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
With the mileage I put on in 1 year, and the service interval being at 15k, I do not see the benefit of spending the extra money on the Synthetic oil. I have never come close to the 15k service........and my oil gets changed once a year. Rotella 15w-40 in mine.......road and years proven.
Ditto.

Except for one year year with a around the country trip we were at about 15k miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Why use synthetic oil? Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous:

• Better low- and high-temperature viscosity performance at service
temperature extremes.
• Better viscosity index (VI).
• Better chemical and shear stability.
• Decreased evaporative loss.
• Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil
sludge problems.
• Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
• Better lubrication during cold weather starts.
• Possibly a longer engine life.
• Superior protection against "ash" and other deposit formation in
engine hot spots, (in particular in turbochargers and superchargers)
less oil burnoff and reduced chances of damaging oil passageway clogging.
• Increased horsepower and torque due to less initial drag on engine.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Simply "Sale's" statements......Rotella standard 15W-40 has been moving America along with other Diesel standard oil's with great result's long before the Synthetic Oil" craze came along.......and Standard oil still is.........
To each their own as I always say........you earned it and only you can spend it..........
Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Well I don't have a Cummins but I do have a Cat and an 06 Ford PSD. I have been using Amsoil 5w40 with a by-pass for 10 years in my Ford and will be using it in my Cat C-9 on the next change. I have the Preferred Customer so it runs about $22.60 a gallon. My max will be 5000mi because of the HEUI pump same system as my PSD (oil fired injectors) no coking turbo bearings, better cold starts.
I also do oil samples on every oil change, like to know what is going on with my motors.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Ditto. My CAT book says change @ 12k or 1 year. I go about 5k/yr. Rotella 15w40 conventional and a CAT oil filter every year.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
It is not a "craze". Synthetics have been around since the 70's.
Technology often improves things, and progress is thus made.
Kinda like your computer and cell phone and a zillion other things.
But as mentioned in post #10 says, each to his own.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Regular 15/40 once a year. We don't get close to the 10,000 miles to change oil. Same with gen once a year or if we used it more than the recommended hours would drop oil and filter.

Do my own service on all things and use two 5 gallon buckets. Don't let the first bucket get too full before pulling it out or you will have a mess LOL.

We used a syn blend in our over the road trucks and were changing at 18,000 miles. See no need to do this in a coach. I feel that even though the oil has plenty of lubricity you get the acidity build up and the oil sitting. Who knows. Change it, run it, love it. Repeat.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote