Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

Bad knock on 5.9!

Hey everyone, where do I start?? Previous owner said the "computer said it needed a #5 injector"

No codes at all, sounds a lot better when I rev it up. Does not get better as it warms up. I am not able to drive it currently due to other work going on, but should the scan tool show any boost pressure at all?

Here is a video of the engine showing the knock.

Here is another one from outside showing some exhaust .

And finally here is a video of the scan tool. Note: I'm not sure if this scan tool is supposed to register boost pressure, or if I'll have any with no load on the engine....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

No boost at idle , little boost with no load.

Power brake it to check boost.

Look at the crankcase breather while running. If its pushing out pressure, you have big problems that a scan gauge will not show.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might consider doing a cylinder leak down check. This will show things like cracked pistons broken rings and burned valves. It’s a cheap way to rule out a lot of really expensive repairs
Old 09-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I watched the video of the engine running/smoking. A redneck diagnostic trick is to take a polished metal object say a big chrome plated wrench or a spoon, cool it off in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes but not so cold that it gets dew on it when you take it out

When the engine is running hold your wrench in the exhaust plume. It will get condensation on it.

Let it return to ambient temperature. Water will evaporate, coolant will not. Unburned diesel will not.

Coolant points to a head gasket or cavitation pinhole

Diesel is bad injector

Usually a engine with a drooling injector “makes oil”. This can also be caused by a bad lifter or flat cam lobe
Old 09-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #5

Can also take the valve cover oil fill cap off and turn it upside down and cover the hole in the valve cover.....if the cap dances, blowby is causing it....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaldrich View Post
Hey everyone, where do I start?? Previous owner said the "computer said it needed a #5 injector"

.......[/I]

Ooops..i posted the scan gauge video twice. Though you can hear it in the background above, here is the video of the engine
Old 09-19-2020, 04:37 AM   #7

Pull the valve cover and take a look.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #8

Injector knock.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #9

Bad knock on 5.9!

As previous mentioned check it for blow by. Since this doesn’t appear to be a common rail engine. With it at idle loosen off each injector line one at a time and see if the knock goes away. When it does you know which one is bad. I can’t hear anything On the video. Probably my phone.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

Still Knockin!

Thank you everyone for your help! Little scared now.

Blowby: Oil cap upside down on the hole bounces around. Is this terrible? Could this be caused by plugged up blowby filter (wherever that thing is)? Only 144k miles

With the valve cover loose, liquid ends up just dripping out at the valve cover gasket at a really good rate. I could not tell what kind of fluid it was...

https://youtu.be/BieVJAgIOZ4

Valves/Rockers: Some seemed looser then they should be. I forgot my feeler gauge, but at least everything is still there and attached. Anything look like crazy amounts of play? Should I have this much fluid in area?
https://youtu.be/wj9u5oby694

Exhaust: There is a nice puddle of black looking oil under it. The dipstick is clean, but I bet the PO changed it recently. Maybe this is normal.

Injectors: I cracked all injectors except for #1,and #2 since my wrench wouldn't get in there. No *real* change. #3 modified the sound a little, but did not really get rid of it at all.
https://youtu.be/xbnYR17vLiQ
Old 09-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #11

If that's engine oil, its looks very diluted with fuel.

If the engine oil overfull ?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

Bad knock on 5.9!

Can you take a picture of the fuel lines? Something looks really off at #3. Also if you can bar the engine over check the lash on all the valves and carefully inspect all the cross heads to make surer there in place. While doing so on the closed valves rotate the push tubes and make sure that none are bent.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If that's engine oil, its looks very diluted with fuel.

If the engine oil overfull ?
I could not figure out what it was. Not sure if PO changed oil immediately prior to sale or not...fluid on dipstick was very clean. I even pulled out a new quart of oil when I got home to compare the feeling. Will try putting in a cup and seeing if it separates. What are your thoughts?

@Twinboat -- I forgot to follow up with the dipstick and check. Won't be able to get back there until Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
Can you take a picture of the fuel lines? Something looks really off at #3. Also if you can bar the engine over check the lash on all the valves and carefully inspect all the cross heads to make surer there in place. While doing so on the closed valves rotate the push tubes and make sure that none are bent.
Does this picture cover what you saw in video? I'll check the lash, hopefully Monday. Any idea what size socket I need to turn over engine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purchase (85).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	301601  
Old 09-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #14

Bad knock on 5.9!

Look like your missing some fuel line vibration isolators for sure. A thorough inspection of everything fuel line related is necessary. Maybe someone changed the #4. Fuel line? Without the isolators the fuel lines will crack and leak in short order. The proper way to bar it over is with a barring tool that fits into a hole in the flywheel housing. There is a plug that comes out to fit it into. If you can access the vibration damper the bolt are 15mm and will turn the engine. It’s not the best way to do it but it works in the bush.