Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #1

Belt tensioner, help

My rig is a 2003 HR endeavor with 8.3 i have used the quick serve there is no listing, i called cummins an after 15 min said this is the # took it to a parts house an bought the Gates version, pulled off the old one, not even close! The old one is a Dayco #1179 ... looks like im gonna have to play the match up game, unless someone here might have a lead.
Funny how i remember parts houses used to be alot more helpfull than they are now... Now if they dont know they just say go to the Manufacturer, seems like they just loose the point😳🤪🤪
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #2

based on Gate cross reference using 89403 or 1179 this should be it..

Gates Online Catalog

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
My rig is a 2003 HR endeavor with 8.3 i have used the quick serve there is no listing, i called cummins an after 15 min said this is the # took it to a parts house an bought the Gates version, pulled off the old one, not even close! The old one is a Dayco #1179 ... looks like im gonna have to play the match up game, unless someone here might have a lead.
Funny how i remember parts houses used to be alot more helpfull than they are now... Now if they dont know they just say go to the Manufacturer, seems like they just loose the point������
I replaced mine when I got our coach, was singing. My buddy asked if he could keep the old one - sure. A while later I was over his house and he handed me the box I gave him and he said he replaced the bearings in it - go figure. He got the new bearings somewhere that sold bearings. I now have a spare and when I change the serpentine belt again I'll install the rebuilt one. Then I'll go get bearings for the other and replace.
Take your Engine Serial # to a big truck parts dept, they can find the part for you. That's what I did.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #4

Rkins, your right about parts houses, years ago you could walk in and the counter guy could easily figure out what you needed, today it's all about what's the make model and year, with out that today's counter guy's suck. it's part of our young generation . At one time a counter guy was an important asset that made good money, not any more.

clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Found the right one...

Its funny how sometimes the amount of energy you end up spending on a project... So I finally called Dayco today (they have been closed for the Holiday) I spoke with a gentleman named Jerry he was able to cross the part I was in search of. He said the original PN was a 3936213 Dayco that now has been upgraded to a 89481 Dayco. That now the differences are the girth of the base is more robust, & there is now a sealed capped bearing all to changed to keep the crud out of the tensioner.
Soooo now its off to the parts house, Thank you to everyone who contributed in trying to help.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

You should still establish a relationship with the parts guy at a local big truck place that services Cummins, look for a parts guy that's been there a while. I ordered a lot of stuff from them as I was servicing my coach. Ask for a discount (actually they gave me a discount without asking - maybe doing the old guy a solid?). You'll need to compare prices with them on the tensioner and any other parts you need to order. You might be surprised at the price, a good surprise.
As for service, they all can service the engine part and the chassis is mostly "truck" to them. Be careful to protect the flooring and furniture if they have to get at the top of the engine. Some mechanics will change back into their street shoes, some won't and they always have greasy hands and clothes.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Though I have an ISL (stroked ISC), it uses the same tensioner as yours does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4600.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	315622

I replaced my belts, along with the tensioner, last July. No issue with tensioner, but being 13 years old and 80,000 miles, it was due. Old one in box as a spare.

BTW, the Cummins original was made by Dayco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4601.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	315626

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

Yup! thats the one....Grrrrrrr wish I had known that when I was lookin for mine, when I get back home (made the trip to Quartsite) I will be ordering the new one.