Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Best and worst Cummins ISL 400 engine years

I’m looking to buy an ISL 8.8 or 8.9 engine with the common rail fuel system and without the DEF system. What are the best and worst years to buy? Also, any opinions about buying new(reman), ones taken out of a crashed RV, or used ones that say they are “good runners”?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

I don't know if they sold any non egr common rail motors but I'll guess they did. The EPA allowed them a few years to sell one motor line without egrs. Cummins picked the isl, firetrucks actually have to be dependable I guess was the thinking.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Best and worst Cummins ISL 400 engine years

The CM850 is a 8.9L ISL (mine is 400HP, 1250 torque, from factory) engine build Dec 16,2006. Common rail, VGR turbo - no EGR. In my 2007 Country Coach.

Starting Jan 1 2007 engine build dates, the ISL changed to 425 with EGR and DPF. Some do not like the DPF. I personally do not like EGR or DPF.

Jan 1 2010 engine build dates and later added DEF to meet EPA lowered NOX requirements.

EDIT - there were a bunch of ISL with wrist pin manufacturing issues. It’s on the top of this forum as a sticky thread , I believe.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also have a non EGR 2006 ISL400, CM850, in my 08 coach.

When I ordered it in April 2007, Monaco gave me a choice of the ISL400 or ISL425, as they had three ISL400's left in stock.

After being told the difference between the two, it was a no brainer. Glad I did, as for the next two years Cummins kept updating software for a regen issue.

No EGR and no DPF, with CPL 1096. YIPPEE,

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I’m not sure what production years are the best, I spent 3 years researching coaches and engine’s, transmissions, etc, …… not that I know everything but I ended up seeking out a one owner 05 Monaco Dynasty on a late 04 chassis built in 12/04, common rail ISL 400, non DPF, obviously non DEF.
My personal reasoning was this, up until 05-06 the economy was running full steam ahead and people were spending money, including manufacturers, most manufacturers (of most products) we’re moving forward, making there products better for the future, then obviously the economy started to slow a bit and everyone started holding back a bit as time went on. I believe there is a sweet spot in the 04 - 07 years where coach manufacturers were building exceptional production coaches and it was before the next tier of emissions was set to hit, I have heard that Monaco had purchased a large amount of engines from Cummins before the emissions were fully implemented and put them into chassis’s that sat at the factory waiting for future production. I have no idea how to sort out what coaches were built on those chassis, I know in late 05 Cummins had the wrist pin issues and I wanted to be ahead of that but wanted a common rail fuel system, maybe more than you asked for but that’s my opinion. I’m certainly not saying anything against anyone out there with different options about different model years and different reasons, these are just my thoughts and I’m sure there are better choices for everyone, obviously everyone’s budget has a factor in the decision too!
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good theory. I got my 2001 because it was a very good deal. Just slow
Old 09-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #7

As Brian stated above, there are wrist pin failures (possible) with 2145 ISL 400's built between Oct 17, 2005 and April 18, 2006 with serial numbers in the range of 46543077 to 4660393. That said, if you can source a salvaged engine from a Foretravel, they were only sent 9 of those potentially affected units. Country Coach was delivered 94 of them. I purchased my 2006 Country Coach Sunset Bay with one of the units within the serial numbers above. My coach had impeccable maintenance records and a pre purchase check of all the fluids confirmed no indicated issues. I have my fluids checked annually when I complete my service of the coach and still, no indications of any issues. All that said, I love my 2006 pre EGR and DEF ISL.

2006 37' Allure Sunset Bay #31442
tinman 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #8

The CAPS era ISL's, usually in 370 to 400HP flashings, were also a good engine. Pretty much smog free. They did have Lift Pumps that would need to be replaced from time to time, or many went with a FASS system and bypassed the Lift Pump completely. And these engines were built and designed to run on Pre ULSD, Type II diesel. So adding some lubrication to your ULSD fuel, is not a bad idea to do. (Even with Bio fuels, having added lubrication is certainly not going to hurt.).

The Common Rails with VGT's starts to filter into coaches in the 2003 build years, but most of these were I believed considered 2004 models. (We had a CC Allure 2004, built Sept 2003, with a CAPS era ISL370 built in July 2003 - as an example.). As some manufactures had engines available from earlier years, so to be sure you know what you're buying. Get the specific coach Engine's Serial Number, and call Cummins to confirm what engine configuration you are looking at.

We were well pleased with the support of the CAPS era ISL. That being said, the Common Rail with VGT engines, do have both broader power ranges, as well as provide higher Braking Horse Power too - as the turbo vanes close off, and add higher Back Pressure.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
ISC to ISL engine swap

After having a seized tappet in my 2001 ISC350 8.3 I was determined to put the more powerful 8.8 ISL 400 in. After countless hours and days trying to find what will work, I have found a 2003 ISL400 with the same CM554 ECM unit. This makes the change easier. The newer ISL has the 2 stage jake which is hands down better than the near worthless pacbrake. Since the only difference between the ISC and the ISL is the ISL is a stroked ISC. All of the intake and exhaust is the same. That makes the swap easier as well. The problem comes when trying to get someone to do the swap. No Cummins shop will do it. They will only do like for like engine changes. I finally found a private shop in Eugene that will do the job. The used engine is coming from Visone RV salvage in Kentucky. From the reviews they are a trustworthy company to deal with. What ever you do stay away from JJ Rebuilders in Florida. They have very bad reviews and sell junk engines. The engine I am getting came out of a 45’ Monaco Dynasty, so it should make my 36’ Dynasty go up the hills a lot better. Now it’s a waiting game till I get the engine and get it installed. I can’t wait!
Old 09-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
After having a seized tappet in my 2001 ISC350 8.3 I was determined to put the more powerful 8.8 ISL 400 in. After countless hours and days trying to find what will work, I have found a 2003 ISL400 with the same CM554 ECM unit. This makes the change easier. The newer ISL has the 2 stage jake which is hands down better than the near worthless pacbrake. Since the only difference between the ISC and the ISL is the ISL is a stroked ISC. All of the intake and exhaust is the same. That makes the swap easier as well. The problem comes when trying to get someone to do the swap. No Cummins shop will do it. They will only do like for like engine changes. I finally found a private shop in Eugene that will do the job. The used engine is coming from Visone RV salvage in Kentucky. From the reviews they are a trustworthy company to deal with. What ever you do stay away from JJ Rebuilders in Florida. They have very bad reviews and sell junk engines. The engine I am getting came out of a 45’ Monaco Dynasty, so it should make my 36’ Dynasty go up the hills a lot better. Now it’s a waiting game till I get the engine and get it installed. I can’t wait!
Keep us posted please!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Some pictures if at all possible, that would be interesting to see!

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
Some pictures if at all possible, that would be interesting to see!

Thanks!
What would you like pictures of?
Old 09-30-2022, 09:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What would you like pictures of?
Engine removal, engine removed, the new one installed, It just would be interesting to see!
Old 09-30-2022, 10:57 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Good theory. I got my 2001 because it was a very good deal. Just slow
Ready to retire and escape the tax happy state of Oregon are You? [chuckles]
When wife retired in'19 from the state, We sold out, Became "Full Timer" RV'ers in our Motorhome [40' Foretravel Motor Coach], joined the Escapee's for our Mail forwarding service, and Declared South Dakota as Our "State Residence of Record".
NO Income Taxes of any kind [wife got an immediate 9.9% raise in her pension]
Low sales tax rates.
Becoming a SD Resident is stupud Easy..That even a retired truckdriver can do it!
(Spend one night in a campground and get the receipt, Have the letter from Escapees stating your new SD address and your mailing address.
Gather up Your Social Security card, birth cert's, and marriage license for the wife, then head to Drivers services building...30 minutes later You are a resident, registered to vote and have a new Drivers License in hand..

Then, You only have to return to the state every 5 years to have them take another picture for the drivers license renewal..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine