Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #29

There is a Turbo boost sensor (4928593) and temp sensor in the system. (4088832)

These sensors feed info back to the ECM to control boost and temp.

Just read about them. Search, Google, turbo boost sensor ISM.

Worth a look.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
Just curious does your engine have a hose from the intake manifold that connects to the air compressor that might be compromised?
It's all hard piping except for the short flexible couplers and they all look good. They're still soft and supple and no dry rot or tears.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
There is a Turbo boost sensor (4928593) and temp sensor in the system. (4088832)

These sensors feed info back to the ECM to control boost and temp.

Just read about them. Search, Google, turbo boost sensor ISM.

Worth a look.
Thanks for the tip. I was getting good pressure readings right up until the end so I don't "think" it's the boost sensor. Others here in IRV2 report that the engine de-rates when low boost is detected to 155 hp but I can only wish that I had that kind of power! Then again they had the pre-EGR ISM so that may be different.

My ISM is with EGR so the sensor is a combined MAP and temperature sensor located "conveniently" on top of the engine. Convenient if you've already taken up the floor panel, that is. My part number is 4921324. I pulled my sensor and de-coked it. Lots of carbon deposits. Mechanical cleaning is the only thing that cleans it. Back in it goes for now. Fingers crossed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISM MAPandTemperatureSensor.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	347546
Old 10-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #32

Hope it works.
Has the actuator arrived yet?
Old 10-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #33

I'm sitting in their parking lot waiting on the truck. I'm told anywhere between 12-2 pm is customary. My cummins tech is gone after 4 pm. Again, fingers crossed!
Old 10-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #34

Okay, the new actuator is installed and calibrated. No engine faults while running the engine here in a parking lot in neutral. I've never looked at turbo boost pressure while idling. I get a anywhere between 0.4 and about 4 psi when I rev up the engine. I haven't driven it yet. Can someone give me an idea if this sounds about right???
Old 10-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Okay, the new actuator is installed and calibrated. No engine faults while running the engine here in a parking lot in neutral. I've never looked at turbo boost pressure while idling. I get a anywhere between 0.4 and about 4 psi when I rev up the engine. I haven't driven it yet. Can someone give me an idea if this sounds about right???
You need to have a load on the engine to see true boost. Revving up in neutral doesn't do it.
Under load (like accelerating full throttle up hill) you will probably be seeing around 30+ psi
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #36

That's what I figured. BTW the truck mechanic charge was $200. Fair enough. I need to get my own diagnostic equipment. This one event would have paid for it. CountryB, the mechanic agrees with you on the boost numbers. The engine needs a load. I'm not going to declare victory until we're rolling down the highway, with boost, and no trouble codes. And that may not be tonight as I have to button everything up before we can roll.

Oh, and I had to drain enough coolant to get the level below the turbo to do my work. I can't find any Cummins long life coolant so I've added distilled water. I'm probably at 40% distilled water and 60% Cummins coolant. I'll be driving about 100 miles before I can drain and refill with the proper coolant. The mechanic thinks I'll be fine with that plan. any objections or thoughts??
Old 10-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #37

Yes, you will be just fine concerning distilled water added for that short distance.

If you are going to change the coolant yourself and need the "blow by blow", let us know.

You WILL to a much better job of changing it, as doing it correctly is not mechanically complicated, but quite time consuming.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
That's what I figured. BTW the truck mechanic charge was $200. Fair enough. I need to get my own diagnostic equipment. This one event would have paid for it. CountryB, the mechanic agrees with you on the boost numbers. The engine needs a load. I'm not going to declare victory until we're rolling down the highway, with boost, and no trouble codes. And that may not be tonight as I have to button everything up before we can roll.

Oh, and I had to drain enough coolant to get the level below the turbo to do my work. I can't find any Cummins long life coolant so I've added distilled water. I'm probably at 40% distilled water and 60% Cummins coolant. I'll be driving about 100 miles before I can drain and refill with the proper coolant. The mechanic thinks I'll be fine with that plan. any objections or thoughts??
Insite software, i have been told is about $3000.00
Not something I would buy.
If there is something else that would work, I would like to know.
Wolf any other software to download ECM cummins, trouble shoot??

Please let us know the final outcome, sensor or actuator???
Old 10-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #39

Quote:

Sorry, past my pay grade.

I am more the "MANUAL" diesel guy. From my stand point, computers do a great job UNTIL THEY DON'T.

Got to remember, I worked my way through University of Texas by being the "kid" who could work on the electronic fuel injection.

Had to figure out "work arounds"! Adjust idle fuel mixture-- had to "fool" the ECM so it thinks it is below sea level for it to run richer.

Ya, a LONG time ago. VW fuel injection in 1968.

Now, I prefer MANUAL systems!
Old 10-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #40

Looking forward to hearing the outcome.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Insite software, i have been told is about $3000.00
Not something I would buy.
If there is something else that would work, I would like to know.

Please let us know the final outcome, sensor or actuator???
There is a Chinese version for under $300. It comes with hardware, software, and cables. You supply the laptop running Windows. I've used a similar arrangement for my Lexus and Toyota cars and it was a God send. I don't have any personal experience with it though. Search on eBay to see it using some of these keywords: Cummins INLINE 6 Data Link Adapter Heavy Duty Truck Diagnostic Tool Scanner. I've found discussions about it here in IRV2 as well.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #42

Everything is buttoned back up and we're waiting until tomorrow morning to get back on the road. At this point I just hope we make it around the block. It will be a wonderful thing to feel the hp kick in and send us down the highway.

Tags
turbo