Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #99

Well...Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe View Post
Hey aren’t you guys thinking about this backwards. The whole point of the tee is to truck the system into believing your getting less boost. So waste gate doesn’t open. If your system is set to 24 psi and tee show 24 psi then waste gate opens. But it you get tee to show say 18 psi. Waste gate stay shut and your making over 24 psi. Understand. The whole point is to loss pressure causing waste gate to stay shut. My thoughts
Thanks, Boe! Hear that PLOP? That's the sound of me correcting a cranio-rectal inversion (head popping out of my anus). Of course you are right. The idea in the boost elbow is to REDUCE the pressure going to the wastegate.

Oh well, mine worked fine with the wastegate totally disabled. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Bill, help me out here, Brother!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #100
Boe

lol Im going to try the Boost Tee way shortly to get my boost back from my Failed circuit board Banks system I also decided to give a try by adding Water/Methanol injection at high boost when pulling or climbing To lower EGT Temps
Boe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #101
TR4

Quote:
Hey aren’t you guys thinking about this backwards. The whole point of the tee is to truck the system into believing your getting less boost. So waste gate doesn’t open. If your system is set to 24 psi and tee show 24 psi then waste gate opens. But it you get tee to show say 18 psi. Waste gate stay shut and your making over 24 psi. Understand. The whole point is to loss pressure causing waste gate to stay shut. My thoughts
What I was basically trying to say is the boost elbow didn’t work for me. I was trying for was a small gain over the 23 psi I already had, to see if my EGT would drop. Van (op) had already seen his turbo, same as mine, produce a little over 30 psi with actuator disabled, so I used 35 psi in my test to see if I could use the elbow to regulate the pressure. I could not, it bled off to much pressure to the actuator. This is great if you want maximum boost from your turbo, which I didn’t. So if I wanted maximum boost, I could have disconnected the line from the turbo and plugged it as Van originally posted.

Good luck with your modification, and keep us posted on what you did. Give us before and after boost and EGT readings.

Bill
Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #102
TR4

[QUOTE=Vanwill;5325962]Thanks, Boe! Hear that PLOP? That's the sound of me correcting a cranio-rectal inversion (head popping out of my anus). /QUOTE]

THAT’S FUNNY!

Bill
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #103

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
What I was basically trying to say is the boost elbow didn’t work for me. I was trying for was a small gain over the 23 psi I already had, to see if my EGT would drop. Van (op) had already seen his turbo, same as mine, produce a little over 30 psi with actuator disabled, so I used 35 psi in my test to see if I could use the elbow to regulate the pressure. I could not, it bled off to much pressure to the actuator. This is great if you want maximum boost from your turbo, which I didn’t. So if I wanted maximum boost, I could have disconnected the line from the turbo and plugged it as Van originally posted.

Bill
That brings up a question in my mind- which way is the boost elbow installed? With the 1/4 NPT threads towards the intake manifold and the hose barb towards the turbo? Or the other way around? Just received my elbow and am anxious the install it but it occurs to me that installing it backwards could cause it not to work. So which way is it? Thanks for the help.
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #104
Boe

So just complete first trip in stupid hot heat. To start with I add FASS pump. Did add small delay to when it kicks on. But from my calculations the FASS pump DOES NOT add more Fuel press with factory lift pump if anything g it just brings it up to speed quicker. I added boost fooler. Works fine. I will adjust more. I hit 31-32 psi. But here the deal. I decide to go different route than most. I added water/methanol injection. And all I can say is WOW. I was advised to use a 14 nozzle I decide only to use half that at 7 Left Arizona to San Diego and let say it’s hot as hell. Well it is Hell. The large hill climbing into San Diego is tall and long grade. With the injection starting at 19 and full go at 25psi it eat that hill up. Now I’ve traveled this route 20 plus time in my RV and basically it would suck my rig down to 35mph pedal to floor This was with my Banks system working. That has since died. I would now have to get out of the gas because I was hitting speeds of 65 plus. Which is just amazing. That’s 35 plus faster than I’ve ever gone over. But the great thing is I hit 30-31 psi all maintaining 1240 and low EGT. The motor had endless power and the motor power made transmission shift really well. I’m on vacation I’ll go in detail more later. But I’m shocked how well this worked
Old 07-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #105
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd stage View Post
That brings up a question in my mind- which way is the boost elbow installed? With the 1/4 NPT threads towards the intake manifold and the hose barb towards the turbo? Or the other way around? Just received my elbow and am anxious the install it but it occurs to me that installing it backwards could cause it not to work. So which way is it? Thanks for the help.
Andy, I never installed the boost elbow. I did a bench test on it and could not get the adjustment I wanted. Instead of installing the boost elbow I adjusted the turbo actuator to increase boost.

To install the elbow, the existing elbow on the turbo is removed and the new adjustable one is installed in its place. The barbed end is attached to the hose going to the actuator. Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 07-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #106

TR4 & Boe: After you disabled or modified your actuator so the waste gate would not open or would not open all the way, what was the maximum boost you got?

I plugged the airline and that cut all air to the actuator. However, the max boost I can get out of my turbo is 26PSI. That's only up 2PSI from the 24PSI I got running stock.

Note: I believe all of us have a Holset-40W turbo, but maybe we have different turbine & compressor wheels? Here's a picture of my 2003 ISC-350 compressor wheel... and you will see there is not much aspect ratio to each of those blades! So I while I think my turbine is spinning faster... the compressor cannot bite enough air to raise the boost to 30+ PSI. ...On the the other hand, if you guy tell me your compressor wheel looks like mine, then this theory is out the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Holset-40W Ceramic Compressor Wheel (Mark's Itasca ISC-350).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	292708  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #107

More info on water/methanol injection

Quote:
So just complete first trip in stupid hot heat. To start with I add FASS pump. Did add small delay to when it kicks on. But from my calculations the FASS pump DOES NOT add more Fuel press with factory lift pump if anything g it just brings it up to speed quicker. I added boost fooler. Works fine. I will adjust more. I hit 31-32 psi. But here the deal. I decide to go different route than most. I added water/methanol injection. And all I can say is WOW. I was advised to use a 14 nozzle I decide only to use half that at 7 Left Arizona to San Diego and let say it’s hot as hell. Well it is Hell. The large hill climbing into San Diego is tall and long grade. With the injection starting at 19 and full go at 25psi it eat that hill up. Now I’ve traveled this route 20 plus time in my RV and basically it would suck my rig down to 35mph pedal to floor This was with my Banks system working. That has since died. I would now have to get out of the gas because I was hitting speeds of 65 plus. Which is just amazing. That’s 35 plus faster than I’ve ever gone over. But the great thing is I hit 30-31 psi all maintaining 1240 and low EGT. The motor had endless power and the motor power made transmission shift really well. I’m on vacation I’ll go in detail more later. But I’m shocked how well this worked
Boe, although water/methanol injection is not something I have considered, I find it interesting. When you can, please furnish us more complete information on your installation--links to where you purchased the components especially.

And PLEASE go to your iRV2 profile and add a signature that gives your coach info: Brand, year, length, and engine details. So many folks ask questions or give otherwise valuable information, but without details about their coach, it's much less valuable and difficult to offer them any help.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #108

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Andy, I never installed the boost elbow. I did a bench test on it and could not get the adjustment I wanted. Instead of installing the boost elbow I adjusted the turbo actuator to increase boost.

To install the elbow, the existing elbow on the turbo is removed and the new adjustable one is installed in its place. The barbed end is attached to the hose going to the actuator. Hope this helps.

Bill
Thanks very much for the info, Bill. My installation is a little different from what you described- the hose to the actuator originates at the intake manifold via a 90deg fitting screwed into the manifold with the hose attached to its barbed end. So if I had looked more closely I could have figured it out. Sorry for taking up the bandwidth.
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #109

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
TR4 & Boe: After you disabled or modified your actuator so the waste gate would not open or would not open all the way, what was the maximum boost you got?...

Not TR4 or Boe, but when I put the valve in the wastgate line, my boost went from about 24 PSI to about 29-30. The performance difference is very noticeable and I did no other modifications to the fuel system either.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #110
Boe

I have the boost fooler and I adjusted it it midway travel of the bolt in the valve in that setting I hit 31-32 psi. 32 only briefly. I will adjust filling in when I leave vacation and see what boost number I get to
Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #111

Quote:
I have the boost fooler and I adjusted it it midway travel of the bolt in the valve in that setting I hit 31-32 psi. 32 only briefly. I will adjust filling in when I leave vacation and see what boost number I get to
Boe, what coach do you have? Please add it to your signature.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #112

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	292975
Holly, sandblasted compressor wheel Batman.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote